Thread: Rough acceleration. Need help

My Cars
    Bmw 328ic

Rough acceleration. Need help

Hello folks. I recently purchased a BMW E36 328iC 1996 5spd manual with around 130k miles (not exactly, dash was replaced for an E36 M3 one). Overall, the car is fine. Runs, drives, A/c works, automatic top not working but not a problem right now. It is in fact, my first BMW, and right now im encountering the following problems.
    -When cold, my exhaust rattles like crazy( it is coming from the exhaust, not the engine) But after it warms up, rattle is gone.
    -Now, this is the problem that is giving me a headache. When i accelerate the car, it feels slow under 4500 Rpms, lt feels heavy and like if the car was pulling a boat. After that, it feels free and gives me a good acceleration until almost redline. But before that, it feels very slow. I took it to a mechanic and told me to change the spark plugs, coils and that should fix the problem. I want to hear your opinion with this because im not quite sure this will fix all of my problems. Im thinking maybe a faulty sensor, faulty MAF, maybe an O2 sensor?Check engine light is on, passenger airbag is on to.
    Car currently has headers on it installed(no idea which ones). I will love to hear your opinion guys, and if really the problem is a tune up ill really appreciate if you guys recommend me the best pieces to buy.
    Thank you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved from E36 DIY to E36 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    The mechanic didn't read the codes wtf !

Duh (that's you), read the trouble codes.

Your vanos probably needs new seals, read the guide at Besian Systems website.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    Bmw 328ic
    Nope, he did not read the codes, im waiting on my Amazon OBD scanner to get home.
    Little update. Valve cover gasket was in the worst shape possible, pain in the ass to get out, i managed to do it. Spark plugs were full of oil, changed them for some NGK, cleaned MAF, replaced VCG. Im waiting to put everything back together again. Thank you for your answer, ill definitely check out the Vanos seals.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Did you replace all the grommets on the VCG and put dabs of silicone at all of the key points?
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    Bmw 328ic
    Yes sir. I correctly put the VCG, now i have a worst problem. Two snapped bolts, one for ground that has a stud on it and one VC bolt. Both stuck there.