Thread: Suspension Q. Specifically H&R / Koni related

My Cars
    4 BMWs.

Suspension Q. Specifically H&R / Koni related

I asked this in an existing thread but no responses, I guess because the thread was old...

I have heard that the combo mentioned above is "too soft" or sloppy from some who are coming from M Roadsters, who are looking to upgrade from the M standard suspension. My Z3 is a non M, a 2.3 to be exact. I want to make the suspension a little firmer, but still comfortable and I want to lower it a little. Will the above combo do that?

I drive my non M Z3 spiritedly, and I don't think the suspension is bad out of the box. Could this H&R/Koni combo be "worse" than the stock set up? I get you're coming from an M setup though. I just want something that will lower the car and let it handle just as good or slightly better as a non-M stock Z handles.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    I had an good experience when I called H&R (years ago) when I was in a similar quandary as you now are now. At the time I called, I talked with a very knowledgeable technician. I told him my goal and he was able to help me get the parts to achieve my goal. When you are dealing with suspension, there are many things which can effect your ride. In my case, the technician (who was well know on the forum, but I don't recall his name) was able tell me how each part would work with the other parts and give me options.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    OK I guess I'll call H&R then.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    My suspension is stock, but I can tell you that there are many threads about how the rear suspension geometry changes as the rear ride height is lowered. Since the stock suspension is non-adjustable, many people put weld-in toe and camber adjusters on their cars after they are lowered.

So the question is do the H&R springs drop the car enough to require toe and camber adjustment?

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    I have H&R lowering springs and don't have any issues with rear alignment.

I think the people who need the add-on adjustment bits don't drive their car the way it was build to be driven. I drive mine hard. It has 140k on it now and other than needing Randy's kit installed, it has had no major issues.
    Last edited by khammack; 05-31-2020 at 09:42 AM.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    z3
    Never heard anyone say the Koni/H&R setup is too soft. At least as of recently it seems to be the most recommended budget option (moreso than bilsteins which are known to be very harsh)

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    X2 on Bimmerbreakers comments. The Koni (yellow) shocks are adjustable, and I have them set barely firmer than "full soft" on my M. Anything more, they tend to get too harsh.
    -Donny