Thread: Fuel pump suggestion needed

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap

Fuel pump suggestion needed

I just put FrankenCoupe on dyno for Tune. Ls motor 42lb injector and we are dropping pressure at the top. OEM pump right now in a z3 mcoupe. 500hp with oem pump. I need to obtain and install by thursday. This is NA motor but figure you guys will have the fuel mgt figured out. Sorry no time for search. Rolling home to get this turned around. Thanks
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I just put a (larger than 255 l/h, because that's what I removed) pump in an M Rdstr. We discovered that it draws more current when the car's owner got within a 1/2-mile from home (after 1200 miles of driving FROM Florida) with a blown fuse...

All I can say is that it was sourced through Rally Road products (and the car owner's neighbor). There is an available larger gauge wiring kit too, so my recommendation would be to get both.

Some trimming of the basket required, but YOU got this

Maybe it's this one? In any case, you DO NOT need the machined aluminum adapter sleeve when upgrading a fuel pump into our cars.

https://rallyroad.net/collections/fu...he36installkit

Here's the raw pump from Summit...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/v...SABEgLWPfD_BwE
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 05-30-2020 at 01:19 PM.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Thanks Randy
    I have something similar from Summit on its way overnight. It will be here Monday.
    Looks like I'll need to find a sleeve but it appears the pump itself is close enough to OEM to not be too crazy of a fabrication project.
    Of course now that I say that....
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The big pumps will also overwhelm a factory obd2 regulator, resulting in 5-10 psi or more extra pressure at idle and just off idle. An aftermarket regulator will fix that or you can tune for it.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    The big pumps will also overwhelm a factory obd2 regulator, resulting in 5-10 psi or more extra pressure at idle and just off idle. An aftermarket regulator will fix that or you can tune for it.
    Thanks for heads up. Yes, already have a AEM regulator in use. Just need more go juice out of the tank.

Now I need to rethink the pump I ordered Friday as the shipping status changed to back ordered.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    8x42=336 lbs/hr.
    336/6.2 =54 gallons/hr
    54x4= 216 quarts/hr (would be a few less liters)

If you are running 44 psi fuel pressure and no forced induction and 91/93 pump gas, I don’t think you need more than a 255LPH pump. If you want some overkill, buy a 320 or 340LPH. You don’t need a 450 or 525 that will heat up the fuel as it recycled most of its output back to the tank and then pumps it back again.

Use the stock wiring to trigger a relay. Feed the relay with fused battery power. Run a local ground. Feed the pump from the relay. Use 10 or 12 gauge wiring.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 05-31-2020 at 11:58 AM.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Thank you for the numbers. Confirmed my general idea of need more scientifically.
    Most Walbros are on back order it seems. The one I ordered late Friday said available but I checked this AM and now saying back ordered. At least Summit updated the web site status. Email alert would have been nice.
    I found this one and it seems to match most of my needs. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-11541
    I am a bit concerned over the pressure rating. It seems this may be a bit over the top relative to the original system pressure capacity. I hacked the supply line at the original regulator location and placed a large inline filter there on the original build ~10 years ago. Filter replace a few times since. Everything forward of that is braided line. to the regulator and such.
    So that means all the fittings from the pump nipple to the original pressure regulator location are OEM and not originally designed for 90 pounds of pressure. Kind wondering if I am now building a time bomb.
    Last edited by PbFut; 05-31-2020 at 12:48 PM.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    90 psi may be the internal check valve rating. At 90 psi fuel pressure that pump probably flows about 200LPH. You don’t need the high pressure version of these pumps.

I assume you are looking for walbro under the TI name and using 9 digit PN. Walbro name is being phased out. Could also be corona caused parts shortages.

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Yep. Not only did Randy install that pump for me he put in an Aeromotive Adj. FPR as well.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)