Thread: turbo?

My Cars
    '20 X3MC, '01 Z3M

turbo?

backstory: we've been a 1 car family for a long time. the wife learned to drive stick, and that's given me license to get very fun cars as dailies. now that we have a kid though, the inevitable transition to an SUV is looming, and so I bought a fun weekend car (the roadie) to not feel bad about eventually getting rid of the F80. everything was great, until i drove them back to back, and it's just tough to overcome the ~150hp/200ft-lb difference between them, regardless of weight.

... sooo where do i start learning about the turbo route ?

i'm looking for a project anyway (or i wouldn't have bought a 20 y/o car), and i don't need dd reliability, nor will i track it. i just want to feel more when i mash the pedal. it's either a turbo, or an S62 conversion

My Cars
    z3
    S62 conversion gets my vote. Youd still be down on power though compared to an F80

I know a few guys who have done M62/S62 swaps into Z3s. Few ways to do it. Since your car is an S54 it would need minimal wiring changes. Hardest part seems to be relocating the ABS module...

Turboing an S54 can be an expensive proposition... If you really want to go turbo, its probably easier and cheaper to reach a given power goal by starting with an S52.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '20 X3MC, '01 Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    S62 conversion gets my vote. Youd still be down on power though compared to an F80

I know a few guys who have done M62/S62 swaps into Z3s. Few ways to do it. Since your car is an S54 it would need minimal wiring changes. Hardest part seems to be relocating the ABS module...

Turboing an S54 can be an expensive proposition... If you really want to go turbo, its probably easier and cheaper to reach a given power goal by starting with an S52.
    a bit down on hp is ok, esp if i get a v8 out of it.

i did start with looking at the s62 conversions, but haven't been able to find too much (other than it's been done, and you need to do a dry sump to make it fit). i'll look into it further.

you think that it's a cheaper route than turbo? i guess i'd be able to sell the motor to offset a decent chunk of the cost..

My Cars
    skateboard
    I’d say go with a Hyde Motor Works Sc Kit. I’m going to be adding that to my s52 in a few weeks.

https://hydemotorworks.com/shop/prod...rcharger-kits/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
    a bit down on hp is ok, esp if i get a v8 out of it.

i did start with looking at the s62 conversions, but haven't been able to find too much (other than it's been done, and you need to do a dry sump to make it fit). i'll look into it further.

you think that it's a cheaper route than turbo? i guess i'd be able to sell the motor to offset a decent chunk of the cost..
    You do not need a dry sump to make an S62 fit. There are conversion kits which include custom oil pans which fit over the e36/z3 subframe. This is the easiest solution, the kits also come with engine mount arms

Another option is using an N62 oil pan and pump. The N62 is rear sump like the e36/z3 and the oil pan fits neatly over our stock subframe. It requires some modification to fit on the S62/M62, the biggest of which is modifying the length of the oil pump shaft. But this gives a nice lightweight aluminum oil pan, whereas the custom conversion kit uses a heavy steel piece

Whether its cheaper than a turbo is hard to say, but probably not.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '20 X3MC, '01 Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    You do not need a dry sump to make an S62 fit. There are conversion kits which include custom oil pans which fit over the e36/z3 subframe. This is the easiest solution, the kits also come with engine mount arms

Another option is using an N62 oil pan and pump. The N62 is rear sump like the e36/z3 and the oil pan fits neatly over our stock subframe. It requires some modification to fit on the S62/M62, the biggest of which is modifying the length of the oil pump shaft. But this gives a nice lightweight aluminum oil pan, whereas the custom conversion kit uses a heavy steel piece

Whether its cheaper than a turbo is hard to say, but probably not.
    interesting. https://cybul.eu/shop/bmw-e36-and-z3...ap-kit-copy-2/ (first google hit, i'll do more research)..

quick ebay search for an s62 motor + trans pulled up a $5K BIN. so it's probably ~10K all in (i'm assuming engine, a conversion kit of some sort, the RF kit, + "other"), less whatever I could get for the motor.

hmmmm
    Last edited by kolosy; 05-29-2020 at 12:36 PM.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    Isn't a MaxPSI S54 turbo roughly $10K too?

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    Isn't a MaxPSI S54 turbo roughly $10K too?
    They no longer sell the kit I believe

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    One Too Many
    backstory: we've been a 1 car family for a long time. the wife learned to drive stick, and that's given me license to get very fun cars as dailies. now that we have a kid though, the inevitable transition to an SUV is looming, and so I bought a fun weekend car (the roadie) to not feel bad about eventually getting rid of the F80. everything was great, until i drove them back to back, and it's just tough to overcome the ~150hp/200ft-lb difference between them, regardless of weight.

... sooo where do i start learning about the turbo route ?

i'm looking for a project anyway (or i wouldn't have bought a 20 y/o car), and i don't need dd reliability, nor will i track it. i just want to feel more when i mash the pedal. it's either a turbo, or an S62 conversion
    How much power are you really after? Just an added 150hp is not that far off you know, just as long as you have a budget of 2.5K or so..can be done. Do you plan to build the engine? We have a few kits for stock engines and something for not so stock engines.
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    '20 X3MC, '01 Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterM52 View Post
    How much power are you really after? Just an added 150hp is not that far off you know, just as long as you have a budget of 2.5K or so..can be done. Do you plan to build the engine? We have a few kits for stock engines and something for not so stock engines.
    I think touching 400 would be nice, not after anything outlandish. That said, not sure how I personally feel about blowers — something about the curve of their output bothers me.

My Cars
    skateboard
    I think touching 400 would be nice, not after anything outlandish. That said, not sure how I personally feel about blowers — something about the curve of their output bothers me.
    The kit I’m going with will make the same power or more then a s62 swap. No brainer really

― George Orwell

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    The kit I’m going with will make the same power or more then a s62 swap. No brainer really

Eh, turbo power is peaky. S62 has one of the flattest torque curves Ive ever seen. Id rather have a stock S62 in a Z than a 600hp turbo... To each their own though

Soooooooooo flat
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 05-30-2020 at 11:09 AM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    As an S62 owner (e39 M5), while the M5 is a blast and the torque is addicting, that engine has its fair share of issues and maintenance. Most notably, my car (9/99 build date) drinks a liter of 10W-6 about every 1500 miles, has the carbon build up issue, and is tons of fun if your hobby is diagnosing check engine lights. I guess that said, it's served me pretty well for 188k miles so far. The S52 and S54 are both so much easier to live with. I think a wise BMW Mechanic once told me, never buy a BMW that doesn't have an I6.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Well mostly all this time we have been exposed to only centrifugal blowers, which are in layman terms a turbo being driven a set of gears that are turned by a belt more or less.

A Roots or Twinscrew Supercharger is a different beast altogether. Torque and low down power is there from the get go, no spooling no nothing. With the right blower you will get boost at the low end.

We actually have a car in the Chicago area using a small blower, why dont you got for a ride sometime. That and it seems GG///M3 is doing a build soon, see how his goes before you shell out any money on any supercharger or turbo.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    As an S62 owner (e39 M5), while the M5 is a blast and the torque is addicting, that engine has its fair share of issues and maintenance. Most notably, my car (9/99 build date) drinks a liter of 10W-6 about every 1500 miles, has the carbon build up issue, and is tons of fun if your hobby is diagnosing check engine lights. I guess that said, it's served me pretty well for 188k miles so far. The S52 and S54 are both so much easier to live with. I think a wise BMW Mechanic once told me, never buy a BMW that doesn't have an I6.
    To me the S62 has always been one of the most reliable M engines. Rod bearings and occasionally VANOS issues are the biggest things on those engines and those arent that big of a deal. The M5 I owned needed nothing outside of normal maintenance when I owned it. Just oil changes in fact. Eventually I started throwing money at it preventatively. Its not an S85

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterM52 View Post
    Well mostly all this time we have been exposed to only centrifugal blowers, which are in layman terms a turbo being driven a set of gears that are turned by a belt more or less.

A Roots or Twinscrew Supercharger is a different beast altogether. Torque and low down power is there from the get go, no spooling no nothing. With the right blower you will get boost at the low end.

We actually have a car in the Chicago area using a small blower, why dont you got for a ride sometime. That and it seems GG///M3 is doing a build soon, see how his goes before you shell out any money on any supercharger or turbo.
    Yes hopefully all buttoned up before the end of the month

― George Orwell

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    I have been down the supercharger route, but there is no comparison to the modern turbos. My new turbo setup has more torque/power everywhere and definitely more smiles. There is no perceptible turbo lag, and I can turn the boost down if I let my wife drive the car.

IMG_9087.jpgIMG_4180.jpgz3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1999 M Coupe

My Cars
    E90M3
    If you're not married to the idea of a bmw engine, there are plenty of proven ways to get 400hp out of a bone stock ls2. Having driven a supercharged s52 z3, s54 and ls2...I can tell you that there is no comparison to 400hp and tq in that car.

My Cars
    '20 X3MC, '01 Z3M
    if i were to do an engine swap, i think i'd want it to be the s62 (realizing that an ls2 swap is probably cheaper).

the idea of a blower is somewhat tempting given the apparent simplicity and knowledge base, but where's the fun in doing what so many others have done?!

seriously though, i'll take a look at twinscrews too.

My Cars
    1988 Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy1394 View Post
    I have been down the supercharger route, but there is no comparison to the modern turbos. My new turbo setup has more torque/power everywhere and definitely more smiles. There is no perceptible turbo lag, and I can turn the boost down if I let my wife drive the car.

Jeebers what turbo is that?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
    Jeebers what turbo is that?

Running a Pure Turbos 6770 ball bearing turbo with our own custom turbo manifold
    1999 M Coupe

My Cars
    One Too Many
    That seems like a centrifugal supercharger (laymans terms a turbo being driven by a belt.)
    Having a modern TVS Roots or a Twinscrew Supercharger is a very different experience.

Wonderful build by the way, thumbs up. How much boost were you pushing on that dyno there?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy1394 View Post