Thread: Help with my Hifi stereo and speakers upgrade

My Cars
    BMW 528i

Help with my Hifi stereo and speakers upgrade

Hi Guys,

I hope that I can find someone to help me with my sound system upgrade nightmare, my 528i 1996 has no DSP, no DSP.., and no CD Chngr, no Amp. and no DSP just two speakers in the front doors and two in the rear deck.

I could not find a straight forward explanation on YouTube or here (sorry if i missed it here), everyone talking about DSP, which I do not have, and Crossovers, which also I do not know if it is equipped in my 528i speakers or not!!!!!

Pleeeaaasssse if anyone can help how to upgrade to premium sound or good quality sound with Amp, do i need to get tweeters, or not? what kind of speakers should I get?

I'll be very much thankful. for your help and guidance.
    Last edited by kazmeh; 06-02-2020 at 05:46 PM. Reason: all posts merged

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    all posts merged and moved from E39 DIY and other forums to E39 forum
    Last edited by shogun; 05-28-2020 at 05:49 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    A very large number of posts are here about E39 sound upgrades. It all depends on how much money you wish to spend, and the amount of DIY you wish to expend. Your system sounds like a basic one, so you can make many improvements without having to deal with the DSP issue.

You can begin here: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/f...ed-by-Bavsound

Find any post by Dennis Cooper, like this one, just to make contact with him. He is one of the more knowledgeable E39 audio people, and he's in the UK, so he knows what is available in the European market. Your question involves complicated answers, because there are so many options available.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...estions-inside

You should also view European E39 forums, so that you get info based in Europe.

Many in the USA have fitted the Dynavin head unit. Dennis probably knows who the European distributor is. This is important to secure a local distributor for after-sale support.

https://dynavinnorthamerica.com/coll...w-e39-5-series
    Last edited by edjack; 05-29-2020 at 02:19 AM.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    BMW 528i
    edjack Thanks man, I appreciate your reply, and the useful links you put there for me.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Kazmeh - I've replied to your PM !

Edjack - Only the USA distributor, who is Jeff at J&T Distributing provides excellent customer service and information along with after sales warranty issues properly. The UK one isn't anywhere close to that and I don't know about any of the European ones. Given their price level and use of generic grade internals/electronics and hit and miss feedback for reliability and quality, I'd not suggest anyone goes with one unless they know the local country distributor supports them well.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Here is a link to a thread a couple of years ago...basically you buy the Volkswagen monsoon speakers, and mount them in your rear speaker enclosures. You need to then cut a hole in your enclosures because the monsoons require an open cavity whereas the OEM speakers require a sealed enclosure.

I bought the monsoons and an extra set of used rear enclosures at a junkyard. I intend to try them when I remove the rear shelf to re-dye it black.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Deck-Speakers