Thread: 96 Z3 Transmission Problem

My Cars
    1996 BMW Z3

96 Z3 Transmission Problem

I have a 96 Z3 with the 5 speed Getrag transmission and I have been dealing with an annoying but manageable problem with the transmission since buying the car a few month's ago. I am having problems with fully engaging 1st gear from a standstill. For example at a stop light when I shift into first gear and let off the clutch, the transmission pops out of first and into neutral. This only occurs sometimes, and only occurs with first gear. The issue doesn't occur when i am approaching a stop light and shift into first (in motion). I have done lots of research and have found numerous things that could cause the problem ranging from a transmission rebuild to a clutch repair etc. The issue really isn't a huge deal because when I come to a stop I just hold the clutch in to prevent the slippage, but it gets really tiring doing so and I want piece of mind about the condition of my transmission. I have done a complete fluid flush and didn't find any metal fragments in the fluid. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    A couple of things to look at:
    - With the engine running and the car stopped, Try and select 1st gear with the normal amount of pressure on the shifter. Keep the clutch peddle down. Hold the shifter there (same pressure) and turn off the engine. If the shifter falls into 1st gear easily as the engine just stops, then its a clutch problem. If the shifter does not move, then its a transmission problem.

- Where is the engagement point when releasing the clutch? Is it right at the floor? If so, try replacing the rubber clutch line going to the slave cylinder. When the rubber line gets old, it will start to balloon under pressure, taking much needed travel out of the slave cylinder.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    1996 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz258 View Post
    A couple of things to look at:
    - With the engine running and the car stopped, Try and select 1st gear with the normal amount of pressure on the shifter. Keep the clutch peddle down. Hold the shifter there (same pressure) and turn off the engine. If the shifter falls into 1st gear easily as the engine just stops, then its a clutch problem. If the shifter does not move, then its a transmission problem.

- Where is the engagement point when releasing the clutch? Is it right at the floor? If so, try replacing the rubber clutch line going to the slave cylinder. When the rubber line gets old, it will start to balloon under pressure, taking much needed travel out of the slave cylinder.

I am pretty sure that the engagement point is at the floor, but I'm going to check on all the things you recommended me to check including the engagement point, as soon as I get a chance. Thank you for your advice

My Cars
    99 M3

96 Z3 Transmission Problem

That low of engagement is one of three things
    Air in the slave/line
    Failing rubber clutch line (as mentioned above)
    Clutch disk/pressure plate at end of life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    As clutches wear, the release point gets higher and higher. This is due to the geometry of both the pivot inside the pressure plate, and the release arm. As the disc wears, the fingers on the pressure plate move back, causing a progressively rising rate in the linkage. Now if the nylon release arm pivot wears down, that moves the arm back foreward, causing a falling rate and a lower release.

And all of this went out the window when BMW (and others) went to the SAC.

/.randy