Thread: ACS Control Unit is Out '99 Z3 2.3

My Cars
    1999 BMW 2.3 Z3 Roadster

ACS Control Unit is Out '99 Z3 2.3

I took my 1999 Z3 into BMW for another issue and asked them to look at the ASC since the light was lit on the dash. They said that the control unit is defective and wanted $1900+ to fix it. Does anyone in the Dallas Ft Worth area know of a good mechanic that can replace this without having to pay such a high price?

Thanks,
    Aforsha

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    The good news it that the ASC/ABS units do have common problems that can be fixed or replaced for a lot less than the $1,900 BMW quoted you.

We need a bit more information than "the control unit is defective" to be able to help you. You will need to get the ABS unit scanned for trouble codes and post the codes and descriptions here. This will need a good scanner with BMW software. Most scanner only read the engine (DME) trouble codes.

If you intend to keep the car for a while and do your own maintenance, then I suggest you get a scanner with BMW software. It will save you a lot of money in the long term. Here are a couple of options:

- Foxwell NT530 scanner with BMW software, very good, reads all modules in the car. Buy only from a reputable supplier as the Chinese knock-offs on E-Bay don't work. http://www.foxwelltool.com/wholesale...installed.html

- INPA software running on a laptop or surface pro. Cheap and easy to set up, very detailed information on all modules in the car. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...xperimentation

The ABS units often have solder joints that break on the circuit boards. These can be repaired. If the ABS module is truly toast, it can be replaced with a second hand one and coded to the car.

So, come back to us with the trouble codes and we can help you.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Abs module failures are rather common. Usually it’s due to a cracked/broken solder trace on the board. We would need the codes to know for sure but I had it happen twice on my 99. Modulemaster.com in Idaho May be able to repair it for less than $200 and they warranty their work for 5 years
    Last edited by z3forlife; 05-27-2020 at 08:55 PM.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 2.5i
    Old thread but a follow up - I've been told my ASC unit is not communicating and was told the code was: 80 EWS transmission parity

any pointers on how to follow up?

2001 Z3 2.5i Auto