Thread: getting oil pan gasket replaced on 535xi. should I replace oil level sensor?

My Cars
    2012 BMW 535i xDrive

getting oil pan gasket replaced on 535xi. should I replace oil level sensor?

Hi,
    I have a 2012 535xi with 108k KM on it (so about 50k miles). The oil pan gasket is leaking (not horribly) but I'm sick of doing top-ups and it making a mess and it'll eventually have to be done so made the decision to do it now. I called around for quotes and when I asked what else I should consider doing, one of them said you may consider doing the oil level sensor. Sounded reasonable to me so at my preferred shop I asked them to include it and it's a $374 CAD charge. If it were $50-100 it would be a no-brainer but now I am not sure. Would you do it? How often do these go bad? What is the impact? Obviously if I ever have to get back in there it's another 8-9 hours of labor.

I also asked about replacing motor mounts while in there. Apparently this is $600-700 per side. Do they ever really go bad? This one seems totally out of question unless they actually see a problem.

FWIW I do most of the work on my car myself and plan to keep it for a few years. I do like to do preventative maintenance so anything else that should be done while we're in there, I'd be interested in knowing about.

Thanks

My Cars
    Yes, motor mounts do go bad. Much more frequently on Xdrive cars than non-Xdrive. The 4 cylinders are worse about it than the 6 cylinders.

I wouldn't replace the oil level sensor unless it was bad. It's easy to do at any time when you change your oil. They don't fail frequently.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2012 BMW 535i xDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Yes, motor mounts do go bad. Much more frequently on Xdrive cars than non-Xdrive. The 4 cylinders are worse about it than the 6 cylinders.

I wouldn't replace the oil level sensor unless it was bad. It's easy to do at any time when you change your oil. They don't fail frequently.
    Thanks for the reply.

So front diff doesn't need to be out to do the oil level sensor on an xdrive car? Won't do the oil level sensor then. Checking online it seems like even the engine mounts don't require the front diff out and so I'll just do the pan gasket.

thanks again.

My Cars
    Correct. The diff doesn't need to come out to do either of those repairs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician