Thread: The problem that keeps on giving - Coolant leak

My Cars
    1995 318is

The problem that keeps on giving - Coolant leak

Afternoon Team,

1995 BMW 318is.

It all started as what appeared to be a simple problem, old starter motor had smoked up good and died.
    Unfortunately I had no way of getting the unit out from underneath as the started motor mounting hole closest to the block had a nut as well as the E12 bolt so decided to tackle the problem from up top.
    It was smooth sailing for a short bit until the mighty squid got in the way and it was time to take the alternator out which had been there since factory so the small rectifier terminal decided to snap.
    Small job turns into new alternator as well. Should have probably done the knock sensors cause they were falling apart but decided against it.
    Many swear words later, all is back on time to start it and goes first pop huurrayy what a painfull victory.
    Take it for a short drive up and down the drive park it up and decided to check under the bonnet for old times sake.
    BMW had now decided to start spewing coolant somewhere towards the back of the block and it sounded like it was spraying like a small "hizzzz"
    I need some advice as to what could be leaking? it did seem to be dripping/spraying directly onto the starter motor, there was no coolant towards the from of the block and and only really started to do it when the car got up to temp.
    If i do recall correctly one of the lines I had to undo to get to the starter from the top had water in it.
    Does anyone have a diagram?
    I may recall one of the lines that had to be undone to get to the starter had water in it do we think this may be what has caused this?
    Not looking forward to possibly having to take the whole intake out again unless there is no way around it?

Any help would be amazing.
    Thanks!

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Wow... sounds like a headache! I don't have the answer but perhaps the people in this discussion area can help.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Could be any coolant line. There are many. Your going to have to find the wet yourself.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Sounds like time to replace all the coolant lines.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1995 318is
    Update had another look today one of the two lines that go onto the little wedge thing in between the manifolds decided to go so sorted it.
    However the problem that keeps on giving has now moved to the radiator fan, car gets up to temperature and the fan does not kick in, ideas?

My Cars
    yay
    Check if it is getting voltage.
    CARS
    02.92 325is / 06.72 2002 / 02.91 XJ / 08.04 R53 JCW

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Fan doesnt kick on when it gets to ot. It kicks on when it gets a bit above ot.. If its starting to overheat and the fan doesn't kick on, put the AC on in the car... If the fan comes on when you click the ac on, the fault is in the temp switch, wireing, or low speed fan relay. (Or fuse if you havent checked there first)

My Cars
    1995 318is
    Cheers heaps bro will have a look at it tomorrow!

My Cars
    1996 318is bmw
    its the heater connector hose in the back had the same problem its plastic they dont last

My Cars
    e36 323i, M3 3.2
    well if you disconnected a water hose and didn't bleed and get the air out, then you have air in there now and your cooling system will not work properly. and you must have lost some coolant when disconecting that hose the first time. did you fill up your coolant to the correct level again ?

My Cars
    1995 318is
    Update,
    I did not bleed the system after the coolant dropped, it honestly didnt seem like much and coolant level is sweet.
    Today after much procrastination I decided to start it up again and see what it did
    So the fan doesn't engage even when it gets to red on the temperature scale thing however if I run the aircon on it does intermittently engage and disengage by itself.
    I have noticed fuse 41 is missing which is listed as aux fan which I am guessing this might be what it comes in under? if so what amps should I put on there?
    I have a feeling if its not that then it might be the relay?

My Cars
    1995 318is
    Update, replaced High speed fan relay and car is still doing the same so I am leading towards its got an air bubble.
    I will bleed the coolant system tomorrow however I just noticed the bleed screw on top of the radiator is glued so unable to open, would it still bleed the system if I ran it with the radiator cap off? cheers heaps

My Cars
    1998 M3 convertible
    Check the electrical plug for the fan at the bottom of the electric fan shroud . This was the non running fan issue on both of my cars.

My Cars
    1995 318is
    Cheers for the help everyone.
    Issue was air pocket...so all is good now - probably jinx myself there.