Thread: Door Handle Issue - Door hard to open

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera

Door Handle Issue - Door hard to open

Hey guys,

I'm having some issues with the door handle. I have to pull with extra force on the handle for the door to open. I tried the window adjustments on the bottom of the door per the Bentley to no avail. Is there a fix I'm missing, if not will a new door handle correct this?

Backstory: I recently had the windows tinted. When I picked the car up from the tint shop, the door was open but locked. Not realizing this, I closed the door at normal force only to bang it against the striker. It took me a minute to process what just happened, but I unlocked the doors and moved on. However, ever since this incident the door has been difficult to open, but never gave me much issue before (although it would stick up a little bit, but this was rectified with some grease).

Video below

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Does pressing on the door (leaning against it) while opening the handle help a bit?
    Grease the latch and the striker more. The latch just isn't closing all the way when you're closing the door. Grease the crap out of both, actuate the latch a few times manually while you're greasing it, then grease it again and try again.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Just tried leaning into the door a bit, it definitely made the handle actuate faster. I'll begin greasing!

My Cars
    1999 323i Convertible
    Sounds like it moved or bent the striker when the locked door hit it, so its got a lot of tension on the latch. Might be able to loosen the striker and see if it will move a tad or maybe tap it with a hammer toward the exterior of the car.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Makes sense. I'll give that a try in the AM. I regreased everything but the issue still persists.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Ok, so moving the door striker outward definitely makes the handle open the door more quickly, but I can't do it in a way where the door is still flush with the body. There's definitely some wear on the striker but nothing unusual I'd say.

I did come across this nifty PDF of how to align your door properly though, so there's that: http://www.steerbythrottle.com/hccyo...FrontDoors.pdf

Can the latch mechanism be adjusted in the door?

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    I may call it quits on this and take it to a shop. Door alignment issues are the worst. Luckily the passenger side still closes with the traditional German thud. Driver's side sounds like a mid 90s Hyundai. I'm happy to throw new parts at it if it will help, but don't want buy the wrong parts.
    Last edited by sirhodjibob; 05-27-2020 at 12:40 PM.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Having the same problem on an M3 I picked up recently.

Things to check:
    Door latch, lube on door latch, door seal (all over). Check that it isn't catching anywhere especially in the front of the door. I see you have your door card removed, can you see the metal bar that runs from the door handle? Is it binding on anything?

I'm still stumped on mine. If there are any updates please fill me in.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    1993 325is
    When I had these problems, I replaced the black striker in the door jamb. There was wear on it and the new piece solved all my door opening issues.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    When I had these problems, I replaced the black striker in the door jamb. There was wear on it and the new piece solved all my door opening issues.
    Thanks. I ordered a new striker, striker gasket, and striker bolts this morning. I'll update once installed. Should be here early next week.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhodjibob View Post
    Thanks. I ordered a new striker, striker gasket, and striker bolts this morning. I'll update once installed. Should be here early next week.
    Have had a few of these bolts give me issues on the way out with them stripping. Be mindful taking them out.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    Having the same problem on an M3 I picked up recently.

Things to check:
    Door latch, lube on door latch, door seal (all over). Check that it isn't catching anywhere especially in the front of the door. I see you have your door card removed, can you see the metal bar that runs from the door handle? Is it binding on anything?

I'm still stumped on mine. If there are any updates please fill me in.
    Just installed the new door striker and that did the trick. While there are small indentations on the door jam to align it, it still took a bit of trial error to align it. Don't bother ordering a new gasket for the striker though, the part number in RealOEM was incorrect. Maybe you can try one of the older part numbers but I just reused my old one.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhodjibob View Post
    Just installed the new door striker and that did the trick. While there are small indentations on the door jam to align it, it still took a bit of trial error to align it. Don't bother ordering a new gasket for the striker though, the part number in RealOEM was incorrect. Maybe you can try one of the older part numbers but I just reused my old one.
    Wow, you must be a unicorn. Someone following up on a forum after they fixed the issue lol. Thank you for updating!

51218105511 the part you used?
    Last edited by Hova; 06-17-2020 at 10:52 AM.
    -Dr. Seuss

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Yep that's the one!