Thread: removing rear bumper and door plastic moulding

My Cars
    1994 E36 325i

removing rear bumper and door plastic moulding

I'm going to paint my car. Do the black plastic trim on the doors and rear bumper just pop out and in? I think it would be ideal to take them off as well as the door handle trim, but not if it's gonna be a huge pain. Couldn't find any youtube videos about it. Thanksuntitled_by_maikeru01_ddxzpkh-fullview.jpg

My Cars
    1994 E36 325i
    follow up question: can you put one of the rear door handles on the front passenger door? My car's passenger side door handle doesn't have a lock, so I'm assuming that's what the previous owner did, but I just wanted to double check with you.

My Cars
    99 M3 Vert
    1) Yes, they just pop out, try not to scratch up the paint or the trim bits when you pull them out. Use a plastic trim tool remover or a credit card.

2) Yes, they're all the same size. Previous owner probably decided it was too much effort to get the handle with the key from the dealer and just did it on the cheap

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    For easy bumper removal undo the 4 13mm bolts on the inside of the trunk and it slide out.

(and some nuts/rivest for the fender liners and rear diffuser has a lip that attaches to the spare wheel well.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    There are tiny clips along the rear of the bumper that clip into holes. The sides of the bumper have hooks that protrude about 1/2 inch. If you have a new strip, you can see how it is attached. If you're painting, you probably want new strips....

My Cars
    Yes
    The rear center rub strip must be removed first. It snaps in and can be removed by wedging a thin card between it and the bumper cover to disengage the clips.

The side strips are removed by sliding them to the rear after the center strip has been removed. They might have one clip on the short L section that curls around to the rear, but they do not snap straight out like the center one does, and trying to pry them off will break the aforementioned hooks.

Also keep in mind that the early E36s came with smooth rub strips, and later ones are textured. Take note if you plan to replace them.
    Last edited by BimwadM42; 05-28-2020 at 03:07 AM.

My Cars
    1994 E36 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimwadM42 View Post
    The rear center rub strip must be removed first. It snaps in and can be removed by wedging a thin card between it and the bumper cover to disengage the clips.

The side strips are removed by sliding them to the rear after the center strip has been removed. They might have one clip on the short L section that curls around to the rear, but they do not snap straight out like the center one does, and trying to pry them off will break the aforementioned hooks.

Also keep in mind that the early E36s came with smooth rub strips, and later ones are textured. Take note if you plan to replace them.

thank you very much