Thread: Tuning MS41, S52 tuning with Supercharger

My Cars
    2000 Z3M

Tuning MS41, S52 tuning with Supercharger

Hi,

I have decided to upgrade the cams on my S52. It is a 2000 Z3M with VF Engineering Stage 1 Supercharger (Vortech V3). Right now it has the flash from VF, but after I throw in a set of Schricks (264/256) it is going to need something done to make it run well. Other than the SC and associated hardware from the kit, the car is not built up other than radiator/water pump. I also did the CDV hose delete (highly recommend for anyone who has not. It's like 2-3 hours of work and does wonders for the clutch feel/behavior).

I've spent a good deal of time researching how to tune it. Specifically, this website has been of great help: https://sites.google.com/site/openms...with-romraider Not sure if anyone has seen this. I assume its old news for a lot of you, but I figured it can't hurt to share.

Anyway, I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Apparently the 20-pin connector under the hood needs to be modified to put the ECU into write mode (pins need jumper).
    Perhaps this is a kid glove question, but does the ECU need to be removed for any reason, or can everything be done through the 20-pin or OBDII port? I am not sure if I will need to setup some kind of bench top system with a power supply and Siemens connector (the big bastard that latches onto the ECU).

Does anyone have a stock ECU flash from a 2000 Z3M? The website I listed above does not include one; only for the M3. Also, can Rom Raider be used to make a copy of the existing flash on my ECU? I would like to make a copy before I start messing around with things.

Also, what method do you guys use for datalogging? I am under the assumption that I will be running a laptop through the OBDII port in the passenger seat -- the RomRaider software will work for this, yes? If there is a superior program that can be used for data logging then please let me know. I have downloaded a handful of things but I have not installed or tried to use at this point (still deciding on laptop arrangements).

I also assume that the VANOS engagement will need to be adjusted once the new cams are in. Idle IPW will probably need to be tweaked as well. Can you provide any advice for how to do the data logging? I am planning on just taking the car for a ride and trying to get a variety of loads/rpms/speeds so I can observe fuel trim/O2 sensor readings.
    Last edited by Domengo; 05-26-2020 at 01:16 AM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3M
    Thanks for the input guys!

I am trying to get the Quickflash software up and running on my PC (Windows 10). It appears that the software has correctly installed and it is ready to work. However, the program gives me a prompt stating that the FTDI drivers do not appear to be installed. The quickflash software came with a bunch of DLL's for the FTDI interface setup, one of which is an .exe file. When I click it, Windows refuses to open it, stating that an administrator is preventing it from opening. The same thing happens when I right-click and "run as administrator." This confuses me because I am the only user/admin for the laptop. Has anyone else encountered this issue while setting up their Quickflash software? Is there a setting that needs to be changed on the system?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Out of 3 laptops that I have Quickflash on, one does that exact thing, and no idea why. There isn't anything seemingly different.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Hi there,

I have the exact same set up, and went through something similar with "328 Power 04"'s help. I see that he responded to your thread.

For any VFE/S52 specific question, feel free to pm me as I perhaps might have gone through it already.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach