Thread: Hardtop experts

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i

Hardtop experts

I'm picking up a hardtop tomorrow. I want to make sure I'm getting all that I need. Seller says it has all hardware except the two front screws (that are $40 !! ). So, I know there are the 2 mounts that go on the roof, and 2 mounts that go on the car. Are there any other pieces that won't be attached to the top, that I should look for? For example, I'm not sure whether there are separate mounts for the front. I'll know more when I see it, but I like to know as much as I can before getting there. I've looked at Realoem parts list and read some instructions, but I'm afraid of getting it home and then realizing I need some expensive part that I can't get anywhere. Any thoughts are appreciated. ...

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    These are the parts to my mount kit. If the seller is keeping his car, you may need to swap out the rear accessories tray that mounts the defroster switch. There is no specific part for the front mounts apart from the two Torx screws.

hardtop mount.jpg
    Kelvin

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    At the bottom right of Kelvin's picture, the plastic covers each should (or could) have lids that swing over the large holes.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Congrates! Here is my 0.02...

On the hardtop itself, there are two rubber buffers toward the end of rear (below the rear window). It might be good to make sure they are still intact because they are also hard to find and replace.
    Last edited by nevan; 05-25-2020 at 01:31 PM.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by nevan View Post
    Congrates! Here is my 0.02...

On the hardtop itself, there are two rubber buffers toward the end of rear (below the rear window). It might be good to make sure they are still intact because they are also hard to find and replace.
    Thanks for that tip, not something I'd know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    These are the parts to my mount kit. If the seller is keeping his car, you may need to swap out the rear accessories tray that mounts the defroster switch. There is no specific part for the front mounts apart from the two Torx screws.

hardtop mount.jpg
    The car is gone, so I'll just look at what he has. I'm guessing he won't have the cover plates or the switch. I'm thinking I'll use an empty switch bay just in front of my shifter for a defrost switch.

My Cars
    z3
    Hardtop?? You don't like the soft top in the 100F+ weather???

(Me neither... thats why I have the coupe)

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Hardtop?? You don't like the soft top in the 100F+ weather???

(Me neither... thats why I have the coupe)
    Sad story. Right after I got the car, I got skin cancer diagnosis. So I never take the top down in the daytime. And, I have visions of having a reasonable highway cruiser. I've done work to quiet the car, so a hardtop will help.

I got the top today. It only had the hardware on the top, not the Hardtop Supports that mount on the car. I got a good deal, but now am saddled with finding those parts.

If anybody knows of a car that used to have a hardtop, and still has those Supports, I'd appreciate a lead.....

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    Sad story. Right after I got the car, I got skin cancer diagnosis. So I never take the top down in the daytime. And, I have visions of having a reasonable highway cruiser. I've done work to quiet the car, so a hardtop will help.

I got the top today. It only had the hardware on the top, not the Hardtop Supports that mount on the car. I got a good deal, but now am saddled with finding those parts.

If anybody knows of a car that used to have a hardtop, and still has those Supports, I'd appreciate a lead.....
    Bummer about the sun, but glad you're dealing with it.

While the complete hardtop mounting kits have been NLA for quite a number of years (I have one, never installed, but will only consider ridiculously high offers for it*) I'm pretty sure that you can get the really necessary parts loosely. All you really need are the LH & RH mounting brackets that attach at the rear of the cockpit, and the two (2) Torx bolts at the header.

Mark Bigelow (Z3PO, IIRC) has put together "kits of parts" for numerous Z3 enthusiasts (I think he works in the BMW parts department at a dealership in/near College Station, PA. You can also track him down through the ZSCCA, he is/was an area rep.

* ridiculously high, so much so that NEITHER of us would want to admit it; push the folded paper across the table high ...

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    [QUOTE=Randy Forbes;30478871]Bummer about the sun, but glad you're dealing with it.

While the complete hardtop mounting kits have been NLA for quite a number of years (I have one, never installed, but will only consider ridiculously high offers for it*) I'm pretty sure that you can get the really necessary parts loosely. All you really need are the LH & RH mounting brackets that attach at the rear of the cockpit, and the two (2) Torx bolts at the header.
    Mark Bigelow (Z3PO, IIRC) has put together "kits of parts" for numerous Z3 enthusiasts (I think he works in the BMW parts department at a dealership in/near College Station, PA. You can also track him down through the ZSCCA, he is/was an area rep.

I couldn't locate Mark Bigelow. Ran across Mike R., z3hardtops , who has the kit for $375 . Seems like a good deal considering.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    [QUOTE=zellamay;30480361]
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Bummer about the sun, but glad you're dealing with it.

I couldn't locate Mark Bigelow. Ran across Mike R., z3hardtops , who has the kit for $375 . Seems like a good deal considering.
    I bought my brackets, t-wrench and forward/top crews from Mike. He has posted here recently also in another hardtop thread...reliable and nice guy with quite a decent product.
    Brad

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    [QUOTE=Watch Carefully;30480388]
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post

I bought my brackets, t-wrench and forward/top crews from Mike. He has posted here recently also in another hardtop thread...reliable and nice guy with quite a decent product.
    Brad
    Thanks for the affirmation. I have a good impression also ....

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I bought some parts from him a while back--mechanism for the right rear attached to the top (handle had broken off), a defrost switch, and a bezel that fit in the rear of the console. He is an honest man. Prices were reasonable.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    IMG_1092.jpgThe first picture is of onIMG_1093.jpge of the bumpers that I believe Nevan referenced in post #4. The second picture is attached because there are covers available (I believe) for the hardware. The part numbers are 54218410507 and 54218410508. I am unable to get the pictures to post rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

I have, somewhere, an extra pair of the front screws. Let me know if you are interested and I'll try to locate them.
    Last edited by rasmuw; 05-27-2020 at 09:25 PM.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES