Thread: Tires on 2020 540i xDrive

My Cars
    2020 540i xDrive

Tires on 2020 540i xDrive

I just took delivery of a 2020 540i xDrive.

The day prior to taking delivery the finance manager pitched tire insurance to me which I declined.

Under the current circumstances the delivery process was very abbreviated.

When I drove the vehicle home I received a message on the Control Display telling me that the vehicle detected a tire change and that I should set the tire pressure correctly.

I live about 5 miles (surface streets) from the dealership so I figured I would look at this when I got home.

Long story short... the driver's side door jamb sticker states I should have 245/45 R18 XL (extra load) tires on the front and rear.
    The printed owner's manual indicates that all 18 inch tires for the 540i xDrive should be XL.

The tires that are on the vehicle are marked: 245/45 R18 100H M+S. They're standard load tires.

It looks like I didn't get the Extra Load tires.

Everything I am reading in the documentation and vehicle information says the vehicle should have extra load tires.
    Your thoughts on this are appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    I wonder whether dealers take a class on how to rip people off. The first new car I bought from a dealer had body damage (including bondo and mismathed paint), with no disclosure of the damage to me in advance.

I don't know anything about this tire issue. Sorry. But I'd call the dealer up and give them hell, or proof of a good explanation (like from BMW USA). Since the car thought the tires had been changed, it sounds like they have been. You can still return the whole thing (or threaten to) if they don't treat you right. (Federal law, I thinlk, if done within a few days.) I'd tell them it's being returned, and let them try to talk me into keeping it.

What brand are the tires? If you go to the dealer, I'd check to see what tires are on other cars like yours. Good luck.

My Cars
    2020 540i xDrive
    Thanks R Shaffner. The tiires are Pirellis.
    I've sent the salesman all the information including a picture of tire information on the door jamb.
    It's going back to the dealership tomorrow and I'll ask for an explanation and the correct tires.

My Cars
    I think you're reading way too much into this. I HIGHLY doubt the dealership is going to go through the trouble of swapping out tires before they deliver the car. Why would they? They're going to have to purchase the new set of tires, and then pay a technician to change them. The only instance of this I could see happening is if Customer A wanted to purchase Car 1, but didn't like the wheels. Car 2 had wheels they liked, so the dealership did a simple swap. Being they are the same size, no big deal. If you are Customer B, and purchased Car 2, seems like you purchased the car as it sits, with the tires and wheels that are on it now.

I'm not saying that's what did happen, but that would be the only scenario where I could see a dealer swapping wheels/tires from one car to another.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    I think you're reading way too much into this. I HIGHLY doubt the dealership is going to go through the trouble of swapping out tires before they deliver the car. Why would they? They're going to have to purchase the new set of tires, and then pay a technician to change them. The only instance of this I could see happening is if Customer A wanted to purchase Car 1, but didn't like the wheels. Car 2 had wheels they liked, so the dealership did a simple swap. Being they are the same size, no big deal. If you are Customer B, and purchased Car 2, seems like you purchased the car as it sits, with the tires and wheels that are on it now.

I'm not saying that's what did happen, but that would be the only scenario where I could see a dealer swapping wheels/tires from one car to another.
    Many possibilities. Perhaps someone liked the wheels better, as you said. Or the tires. Or perhaps the dealer swapped the wheels and tires so he could mark up the price to another buyer, while giving the OP less expensive tires.

I too like to give people the benefit of the doubt. But not a dealer.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Are the wheels that are on the car now...the ones that are on the build sheet? If you don't know...go to www.mdecoder.com and enter the last 7 digits of your VIN...then scroll down the page to find the wheel style number that came with the car from the factory.

If you're also not familiar with the BMW wheel style numbers offered for the G30 5 series...then go to one of the online parts database sites, enter the last 7 digits of your VIN, then go to the wheel diagrams and scroll down to find the ones that are on your car. Then verify if those are the same wheels that were ordered with the car. If you're not familiar with one of the online part database sites...here's a direct link to one:

1. https://bimmercat.com/
    2. https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...iX+B58C/USA/36
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2020 540i xDrive
    I tried the parts databases. It seems they are both telling me I have a:
    530i M54 (From 01.09.2000)

E39 sedan Europe

Manufacture date: 02.2001 Steering: L Gearbox: A

I get the same result when I use the last 7 digits of the VIN on mdecoder.com site.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Are you positive that you’re using the correct last 7 digits of the car’s VIN? There’s nothing we can help with because we don’t have any info to go on except what you’re telling us.

The VIN is the 17 digit number listed on the driver’s door jamb and at the base of the windshield on the driver’s side. It’s also behind the rear license plate and usually somewhere in the engine bay (sometimes on the underside of the hood). I believe the 10th digit of your VIN should be an “L” which would indicate it is officially a 2020 model year according to the US DOT requirements.

The tires that are on the vehicle are marked: 245/45 R18 100H M+S. They're standard load tires.
    The tire info you have listed in the quote above looks like they are the ones recommended for winter (check your owners manual). The M+S stands for “mud + snow”...and the “H” stands for a tire rated for a slower speed rating (which is what is usually given for winter tires).
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-06-2020 at 04:46 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)