Thread: Steering rack with offset tierods?

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

Steering rack with offset tierods?

Looking into various solutions for swapping an E34's overweight garbage steering to a rack, the problem being that the rack either interferes with the oilpan or sits too low and causes bumpsteer. The factory drag link is offset, so it occurred to me that offset rack ends would accomplish the same thing. Some digging turned up this: https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/PROAngle...ift_Kits_IS300

I don't care about the rest of the kit; what interests me is the bits that appear to offset the inner tierod pivot from the rack centerline. I assume the intent there is to run shorter steering arms and retain the original lateral tierod angle. I would use it to retain original vertical tierod angle. Does anyone have experience with anything like this, and can report on... well, anything, but longevity or durability in particular?

My Cars
    turbo e36
    I love E34's, considered building one for drifting. The front suspension is definitely a draw back though. Offset inner tie rods are pretty common in S chassis world, they're kinda sketchy though, they've been known to shear clean off, or destroy the rack. The point is so you don't have to relocate the rack and get the benefits, though they could work in your situation if your brave haha. There is a thread on here somewhere, were a guy did a rack swap from a E39 into a e34, I think he ended up making a mostly custom subframe.

My Cars
    1984 BMW E28 535i
    Oh my god, don't do that. That's horrible, the amount of bend and play in that system...
    1996 Orientbraun BMW E34 532i Touring

STANCE | WORKS

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    as Substance said, they're very common in the S chassis world as a bandaid for not relocating the steering rack. They work OK at best. My teammate used to run them and they'd come loose at the rack no matter what we tried. He finally just welded them to the rack lmao