Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Thank you, TireRack! Love my new wheels!

My Cars
    1999 323i Convertible

Thank you, TireRack! Love my new wheels!

My '99 E36 convertible was due for some new wheels and tires. After hitting a plastic road cone base on the interstate, it broke the belts in the tire AND bent the factory wheel. Are the factory wheels soft? Both front wheels have bent rims and the only way to solve the issue was to replace them. With the price of factory wheels, I decided to upgrade to an 18" wheel with new tires from TireRack.com. I got the Moda MD26 (the factory bmw center caps fit perfect) with Yokohama Avid Ascend GT in 225/40/18 ET40 and they fit perfect! No fender lip issues, no rubbing. The biggest surprise was I ordered them last night and they arrived at my door before noon today! Maybe it helps that I live in a neighboring state but still, that is the fastest shipping I have ever had with anything. They arrived in perfect condition, well packaged and all I had to do is bolt them on. Best online purchase I've made for my car hands down. I wish you guys had a place on your website to post my gratitude. Now, I would like to lower the front just a little bit, maybe an inch? Do you guys have any recommendations how to do that without sacrificing the ride quality?

IMG_6140.jpg
    Last edited by YourOnlySin; 05-24-2020 at 01:47 AM.

My Cars
    Many
    Quote Originally Posted by YourOnlySin View Post
    After hitting a plastic road cone base on the interstate, it broke the belts in the tire AND bent the factory wheel. Are the factory wheels soft? Both front wheels have bent rims and the only way to solve the issue was to replace them.
    Dang. I know you said interstate, but how fast did you hit that thing? I know the cone bases are a lot tougher, but, well, dang.

Quote Originally Posted by YourOnlySin View Post
    With the price of factory wheels, I decided to upgrade to an 18" wheel with new tires from TireRack.com. I got the Moda MD26 (the factory bmw center caps fit perfect) with Yokohama Avid Ascend GT in 225/40/18 ET40 and they fit perfect!
    They look good! How do you like those Yokohamas?

My Cars
    1999 323i Convertible
    I was driving about 70MPH when I hit the plastic base. I haven't gotten a lot of miles on them since I put them on...about a hundred miles maybe. So far, I like how they feel. They are louder on certain concrete portions of the freeway than the old ones but its not bad. They had a great tread wear rating and I'm hoping to get some life out of them.

My Cars
    2011 535i XDrive
    Outstanding