Thread: weekend projects -and looking for some part #s

My Cars
    1998 m3 convertible

weekend projects -and looking for some part #s

First maybe some help on a couple part #s I can't seem to find on Real OEM:  (1) looking for the plastic wire router clip that clips on the inside of the left side of the radiator support - cracked it tightening down the alarm siren, its just behind the green sticker in the picture below; (2) also looking for the outside fasteners for the upper radiator cover, the one missing in this picture just below the upper radiator bracket clip.

&nbsp;<br><br>And here's how my projects went:

Changed the oil for the first time - went with M1 0W-40 Euro, OEM Mahle filter, couldn't figure out why I was leaking past the washers on the oil filter housing cap, even after torquing and retorquing, until I realized the second (brass) washer is for the drain plug.&nbsp; The PO had used both washers on the housing so I followed suit, and I used a topside evacuator, so never occurred to me the second was for the drain plug. So in case anyone else is as dumb as I am, just the one smaller washer is for the oil filter housing cap.

Changed the fuel filter - looks like maybe the first time since new.&nbsp; Ramps aren't really how you want to do this - but I didn't have my jackstands.

Windshield cowl - original was dry rotted, so pulled out the old, cleaned a lot of dirt and debris out from under and installed the new.; Thought I made a nice adjustment moving the driver side wiper arm bellow line of sight, buttoned it all up, closed the hood and learned that that's where the wiper sits - any lower and it hits the hood.; Readjusted and put some clear on the new chips on the edge of the hood.

Lastly, found out what's been rattling under the car and driving me crazy; The heat shielding in the transmission tunnel pulled through the mounting bolts and the shield was hanging loose in the middle and banging on the exhaust - a couple large washers solved the problem.

My Cars
    99 M3

weekend projects -and looking for some part #s

If this is a coupe, there are two additional parts - one left, one right - that ‘trap’ the cowl panel. Item #15

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_2059

The fasteners for the radiator finish panel are shown here, I believe you are looking for #8, of which the location is miss-identified in the diagram

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_2048

As far as the wiring clip goes, it might be #14

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_4880

Lots of discussion on oil. I expect to be challenged/corrected here.
    In the 90’s BMW switched to synthetics and their 5W-30 (a Euro Castrol oil) was the factory/shop fill. Had slightly different properties than US oils of the same grade, and it was recommended to run an oil designated as LL-98 (ACEA A3/B3 certification), superseded by LL-01.

BMW Longlife-98 (BMW LL-98)
    Special long-life engine oil, approved by BMW. Also meets ACEA A3/B3, API SJ/CD, EC SAE 5W-40. Usually required for BMWs manufactured before MY 2002. Obsolete since 2009

Several oils have lost the BMW LL endorsement, Mobil 1 being one of those, I believe that coincides with BMW’s switch to Shell Oil products.

https://www.oilspecifications.org/bmw.php

The washers on the drain plug, M50/S50/S52 oil filter housing is an aluminum ‘crush’ washer, p/n 07119963151.

This ‘crush’ serves to to seal and lock the fastener. This type of washer is used to seal other locations as well. Oddly, most replacement oil filters come with a copper drain plug washer that does not ‘crush’ when torqued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 05-24-2020 at 11:10 AM.

My Cars
    1998 m3 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    If this is a coupe, there are two additional parts - one left, one right - that ‘trap’ the cowl panel. Item #15

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_2059
    Got these, thanks.

The fasteners for the radiator finish panel are shown here, I believe you are looking for #8, of which the location is miss-identified in the diagram

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_2048

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I saw this diagram, and I think you're right...strange though because it seems to reverse the location of the fasteners for #2 and #8, that's what threw me off.

Appreciate the help.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Digging your clean engine bay. Where did you get strut mount nuts from?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    A supercharger would look good in there.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    This ‘crush’ serves to to seal and lock the fastener. This type of washer is used to seal other locations as well. Oddly, most replacement oil filters come with a copper drain plug washer that does not ‘crush’ when torqued.
    Sure copper crushes, although it takes more force than aluminum.

Both are single use, but in a pinch you can re-anneal a copper washer by briefly heating it to red heat in a gas flame and letting it cool naturally. Easier to buy new ones, but hey, when it's Sunday afternoon and you're trying to get something put back together...

Neil

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3, 1998 328is
    where is your air pump located?

My Cars
    1998 m3 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by doc pain View Post
    where is your air pump located?
    Not my engine bay, just a picture I found on an image search. I do like the black wiper fluid reservoir though.