Thread: Rear Ball Joint Surgery

My Cars
    99 528i, 90 535i, 07 X3

Rear Ball Joint Surgery

I've done VANOS rebuilds, MID repairs, coding everything, tension struts, thrust arms, struts, driveshafts, cooling system, interior swaps, retrofitting electronics, the lot. I like to think I know my E39's pretty well.

There's one job that still gives me hell: the rear ball joints. Every time I do it, I either end up ready to have a breakdown or about to douse the car in gasoline.

Getting the BJ itself in and out isn't the problem. Have the BavAuto balljoint press and it works brilliantly. Getting the lower arm down to do that isn't hard either.

My problem is the reassembly. The lower arm wants to go up and towards the front and the wheel carrier wants to go down and towards the rear. The net result is that the lower arm (aka swing arm) wants to impale the dustboot on the BJ. I'm not proud to admit that in 3 out of 4 times I've replaced these ball joints I've not been able to avoid damaging the dustboot.

Then after you've got the lower arm fitted over the BJ bore correctly, you can't fit the integral link. There's just not enough room. So you take it apart again and try to fit the integral link as you wrestle the lower arm over the BJ bore.

I've tried disconnecting the swaybar, unlocking the subframe-lower arm bolts, and throwing every prybar I've got at it. Nothing seems to do the trick. It doesn't help that it seems like every guide/youtube video on this repair uses a different strategy (and none of them work for me!).

So tell me, BForums. What am i doing wrong?

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    The issue is the lower swing arm the twists after you remove the long bolts. The challenge is squaring it on reassembly. One of the best methods seems to be unbolting the swing arm open up the area to make it easier to R&R the joint itself the using a long punch to align up all the parts.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    ’02 M5, ‘03 540, ‘98 M3
    I feel your pain! Just did this for the 2nd time in two years. I talked to a few local BMW mechanics and they all had different advice.

I did it easily this time with a 2nd person, my floor jack, and a piece of wood. I actually bolted up the ball joint and integral link first. I left the rear camber adjustment bolt for last. My brother used the floor jack with a small piece of wood on it to lightly maneuver the rear of the swing arm. I was under the car and pushed the bolt through the forward hole when it finally lined up. I'm know this probably isn't the factory procedure but like you, it saved me from setting the new 540 on fire and filing an insurance claim!

Hope this helps!

Also....I left every nut/bolt on the swingarm very loose until I got the final nut/bolt made.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    2002 M5 Sterling Gray (88k)
    Dinan mufflers and intake, ZHP shift knob, E60 shifter, Ground Control coilovers
    Restoration in progress!

2021 M340i (25k)

Sold!
    2003 540i MSport 6sp Tit Silver (193k)
    Dinan Exhaust, Autosolutions SSK, 88C Thermostat, Koni's, BlueBus, BavSound, DUDMD Stage 2, AFE CAI

Sold!
    Aavi's 98 M3/4/5 Cosmos (137k)
    TMS Stage 3 with Shrick cams, Shorty headers and tune, M50, Stromung, 8.5 LTW's squared, PFC-Z, 3.38, Bosch H1's with city lights, CD43, BSW Stage 1, BMS SSK, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, Sunroof Eclipse, LeatherZ gauge pack

BMW CCA# 308494

My Cars
    99 528i, 90 535i, 07 X3
    @BAM3, I would love to hear more about how you positioned the jack. I've added a jack to this job just about every time, but I always placed it on the wheel carrier to bring it up. Then I would try trapping a block of wood between the arm and the driveshaft to get it to stay down.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    LOL, I remember replacing the rear ball joints about 7 years ago .
    I took the car to base, and used the auto-shop lift, but I didn't have the correct press tool, just a C-clamp tool, and I ran out of time .
    So, I had to put everything back together and do the job all over again.
    I was finally able to get the C-clamp tool to fit / work , but it was barely wide enough.
    I think it spun the old bolt completely through the bushing ... lol .

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    '98 528i 98k 5-SPP
    i just did the rear ball joint r&R first time. learned alot about this diy, so.....
    next time i do this, i'll follow the fcpeuro method, which like stephenVA posted above, partially disconnects the arm. here's the vid if yall haven't seen it yet . good quality vid,btw

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Great video. That is the way I did it and it works well. One comment, he should have tightened the swing arm bolts at ride height too.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!