Thread: E90 330Xi No Audio on Radio

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3M Raodster

E90 330Xi No Audio on Radio

Hello,
    Earlier this week I started hearing crackling sounds coming out of my speakers and yesterday I lost audio all together. Upon researching on the forum it appeared that perhaps my problem may lie with the fiber optic links. However, my troubleshooting revealed the following:
    I noticed water at the base where the amplifier sits on the rear driver side well. The water appears to be coming from the tail light. I checked all fiber optic links from head unit, amplifier, TCU, and back to fiber optic port beneath steering column and everything lights up including the light inside the amplifier so I ruled out the fiber optics.
    I tested line voltage and grounds going into the amp and that tests ok too. I removed the circuit board from the amp housing but I don't see anything that looks either fried or water damage or any connections that have corrosion buildup. I even took a heat gun and gently heated the board in case there was any moisture. Regardless, everything points to the amp.
    The question: 1) Is there a way I can test the amplifier to see thats where the problem lies? I don't what to spend 200 on another amp if it ends up being something else.
    2) If I end up having to replace the amp, provided I get an amp with the same part number will it work out of box. I'm not sure if any flashing is required.
    3) Is there any thing I am overlooking in my troubleshooting?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3M Raodster

Update: Repaired

As an update, I found someone on Offer up selling a used OEM amp. So I figured thats the best way to check. Sure enough when I swapped amps sound came back. Problem solved. Hope this posts helps anyone who will encounter this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by edoinfl View Post
    Hello,
    Earlier this week I started hearing crackling sounds coming out of my speakers and yesterday I lost audio all together. Upon researching on the forum it appeared that perhaps my problem may lie with the fiber optic links. However, my troubleshooting revealed the following:
    I noticed water at the base where the amplifier sits on the rear driver side well. The water appears to be coming from the tail light. I checked all fiber optic links from head unit, amplifier, TCU, and back to fiber optic port beneath steering column and everything lights up including the light inside the amplifier so I ruled out the fiber optics.
    I tested line voltage and grounds going into the amp and that tests ok too. I removed the circuit board from the amp housing but I don't see anything that looks either fried or water damage or any connections that have corrosion buildup. I even took a heat gun and gently heated the board in case there was any moisture. Regardless, everything points to the amp.
    The question: 1) Is there a way I can test the amplifier to see thats where the problem lies? I don't what to spend 200 on another amp if it ends up being something else.
    2) If I end up having to replace the amp, provided I get an amp with the same part number will it work out of box. I'm not sure if any flashing is required.
    3) Is there any thing I am overlooking in my troubleshooting?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks