Thread: Huge Thanks to Lee and Massive Brakes -- Earned a Lifelong Customer

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5

Huge Thanks to Lee and Massive Brakes

Hey everyone,

I don't normally leave reviews, but had to give a shout out to Lee at Massive Brakes after my extremely positive experience with him helping me troubleshoot my brakes. I purchased a used front BBK set about 6 months ago: Wilwood SL-4, HD 48 (332x32mm), all using Massive's floating rotor hat, hardware, and caliper bracket. I ran them through this past winter in CO (with street pads of course), and on the first day back at the track for this season with DTC-60s. This isn't about the brakes themselves, but I can say it's night and day over my OEM setup (also with DTC-60s or PFC-08s). I gained a significant amount of time and confidence with this setup, and was being relatively conservative as it was the first day back and first time with these brakes. I'm very excited to continue improving.

Anyways, the day after the track, I took my car out to get some groceries and noticed clunking in the front. I assumed it was my wheel bearings giving out as they're three track seasons old and I absolutely LOVE monstering the curbs at the track (they're also the original ones that were on the car when I bought it ~10 years ago, so I have no way of knowing their true mileage). After closer examination it looked like there was some excess play between the rotor and the hat, which was producing the sound. I took a few pictures and a video and emailed Lee. I have to say up front I feel bad asking a vendor for help with their product when I did not purchase it from them. This problem, for all they know, has nothing to do with them, and it's just because I'm the idiot who probably put them together incorrectly since I don't have the original instructions. Now they have to deal with a confused customer who knows little to nothing about their product in the first place, as I bought it second hand on a whim, as you do when you see those dealssss (spoiler alert: it wasn't Massive's fault, nor the fault of the person who sold them to me).

The first email I sent was after 5pm on a Friday, which you gotta love because that means you aren't getting an answer until Monday. Nope! Lee got back to me within 30 minutes, already with clarification questions and suggestions. We went back and forth for an hour or two on email in which he never took longer than 20 minutes to respond (remember, this is after hours on a Friday). We ended with some good troubleshooting tips for me to do over the weekend. Come next week I was still a bit stumped so I sent him another email, and lo and behold, he responded within 30 minutes again. We sent ~20 total emails over the course of a few days and I cannot be happier with his patience and willingness to help me out. He took measurements of his hardware on his end to compare to mine, walked me through a few things to verify I've installed things correctly, and overall made me feel like I had been a customer there for years. It turned out the seals/washers that the drive pins utilize were worn down, probably due to me not torquing the hat to the rotor correctly when I first installed them. I never noticed the play until the day after the track where they really got abused. Any damage to Massive's hardware? Nada! So Lee is sending me new seals and all will be well again!

I know this sounds a bit like the customer service you would expect to receive, but we have all had our run-ins with absolute crap customer service, and I hadn't even bought this from Lee. It was a very welcome experience. His interactions with me, and the quality of their product, has earned a lifelong customer. I will definitely be purchasing a rear setup from them when the time comes. I actually think my SL-4's can be put in the rear, then I can run SL-6's in the front, but I'm getting way ahead of myself xD.

I know this was a long post, I get pretty long-winded with my typing, but I just can't thank Lee enough for the quality of help he's given me. Leaving a positive review here is the least I can do. Hopefully you all have the same experience with whatever brake vendors you go with, I know there are a lot of great options out there.

Thanks for your time,

-Michael
    Last edited by Carpy2; 06-22-2021 at 04:16 PM.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3