Thread: Oil Stand Gasket?

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 & 530i

Oil Stand Gasket?

Hi, I'm a new E46 M3 owner. I bought my M3 in November 2019. I've been wrenching on cars for a long time. After I bought the car it was throwing codes and it was apparent that the VANOS needed repair. I worked with Mike Cotter (https://naturallyagitated.com/) and swapped out the old VANOS for Mike's Stage II VANOS. I timed it and put it all back together and it runs great! Thanks Mike!

Now I'm dealing with a number of oil leaks. The previous owner had a shop work on the car and I was able to get their diagnosis of what they found. In the writeup they stated, "Timing cover and chain tensioner are no longer leaking but the engine oil stand gasket is leaking (not addressed at this service)." Does anyone know what is an "oil stand gasket"? I've been searching the internet but no luck so far.

I see oil dripping from right under the A/C compressor (passenger side of the car). It looks like it's on the block as well. I'm using an inspection mirror and can see some wetness on the lower timing chain cover but really can't find the source. Could it be the Oil Filter Housing gasket?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by zork; 05-21-2020 at 06:35 AM.

My Cars
    1997 e31
    It's the weakness of BMW's design philosophy....a $4 o ring with 6 or 7 zig zags that is flat and baked and lost its will to seal. I did wifey's '02 (non M3) five years or so ago...the oil leak was surprisngly "massive".
    Follow the oil filter/cannister "mount stand" down to where it joins the block. That mount gets unbolted to expose the o ring...Everything on Driver side of car has to come out.. including unbolting the lower pump at bottom of block (power steering from memory).
    Looks like there is a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlHaqtVMMn8- I did not view it...
    It is easy to do..just time consuming.

Aj's Dad
    Last edited by AJe31; 05-20-2020 at 08:17 PM.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    OP, yes... it's aka Oil Filter Housing gasket.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 & 530i
    Thanks Aj's Dad and MauiM3Mania! I watched the video. My leak is dripping on the passenger side and the Oil Filter Housing is on the driver's side of the engine. Just wondering if the Oil Filter Housing is leaking I would expect to see it drip on the driver's side?

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    The most common place for the S-54 to leak on the passenger side is the constant pressure valve. It will be located between the #5 and #6 cylinder looking like a big flat head.

It will be #10 here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_2988

It will like to leak around the o-ring, another 25 cent piece.

Also if that's not it, clean the block and follow any traces of oil after a drive.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1997 e31
    #10 above...looks like a better project!

Agree you need to see where it is leaking from...compressor is far from the stand.
    I recall finding/seeing the stand leak with light prior to starting...

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 & 530i
    I believe CPV o-ring is leaking as well. The major leak is in the front of the engine dripping off A/C compressor. It appears to be leaking where the lower timing chain cover meets the block. It's very difficult to see. I have an inspection mirror right by the pressure accumulator and I can see some wetness.

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 & 530i
    UPDATE: I replaced the VANOS oil line from the pressure accumulator with OEM BMW line and replaced the chain tensioner with OEM BMW part. The CPV was NOT leaking. The oil was seeping from the back left corner of the valve cover and running down onto the exhaust. I did a valve adjustment and replaced the valve cover gasket. That seems to be holding (for now). I still have the oil leak in the front of the engine dripping off A/C compressor. I had a BMW mechanic look at it and he saw oil welling up where the lower timing chain cover meets the block under the VANOS. It's very difficult to tell if that is the source. I'm still wondering if the Oil Filter Housing could be the source? Still looking...

My Cars
    2001 M3 Coupe Track Car
    Quote Originally Posted by zork View Post
    UPDATE: I replaced the VANOS oil line from the pressure accumulator with OEM BMW line and replaced the chain tensioner with OEM BMW part. The CPV was NOT leaking. The oil was seeping from the back left corner of the valve cover and running down onto the exhaust. I did a valve adjustment and replaced the valve cover gasket. That seems to be holding (for now). I still have the oil leak in the front of the engine dripping off A/C compressor. I had a BMW mechanic look at it and he saw oil welling up where the lower timing chain cover meets the block under the VANOS. It's very difficult to tell if that is the source. I'm still wondering if the Oil Filter Housing could be the source? Still looking...
    Get an inspection mirror and look at the VANOS mounting bolts that go into the head. Since you just did VANOS (Mike@NA did mine as well), its a common place for a leak. Most often though its the exhaust side bottom VANOS bolt that leaks.

OFHG is not a common failure on the S54. I would double check that its actually leaking before digging into it. There is another tensioner bolt on the intake side that has been known to back out.

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 & 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by eacmen View Post
    Get an inspection mirror and look at the VANOS mounting bolts that go into the head. Since you just did VANOS (Mike@NA did mine as well), its a common place for a leak. Most often though its the exhaust side bottom VANOS bolt that leaks.

OFHG is not a common failure on the S54. I would double check that its actually leaking before digging into it. There is another tensioner bolt on the intake side that has been known to back out.
    Thanks! I'll take a closer look under the VANOS. There are 5 bolts that hold the VANOS to the head and the torque specs are 7 ft-lb (10 Nm), which isn't much. I wonder if they loosened up? I'll report back...