Thread: Speedometer conversion. MPH TO KPH

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0

Speedometer conversion. MPH TO KPH

Hello to all. My first time on this site. It looks very helpful from what I've been reading. I have a 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 that came from the USA. I live in Canada and need to change my speedometer from MPH to Kilometres. Dose any one know of a quick conversion kit. I have seen gauge overlays for $400 to $500. Canadian. I was also looking at just getting a speedometer from a wrecker's yard and just taking out the gauge face. Any ideas or information on contacts would be appreciated.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Changing the cluster requires a bit of programming. Otherwise you’ll get the infamous “tamper dot” in the cluster. Where have you looked for gauge faces? You could buy a non-working cluster from the US and swap the face.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0
    Thanks for you reply. I don't intend on changing the cluster, because of the Tamper dot. I have found gauge overlays and conversion plates here in Toronto, but they seem very expensive. I was putting it out there, just incase someone had a quick fix idea, or an old Kilometre cluster laying around they wanted to sell. I would simply use the speedo plate. I'll probably just buy one from a wrecker yard.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Getting a km cluster from a junked car is likely your best option. Check YouTube for the process of getting the cluster face off. You’ll have to remove the gauges’ needles, and that takes real patience.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0

Speedometer Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Getting a km cluster from a junked car is likely your best option. Check YouTube for the process of getting the cluster face off. You’ll have to remove the gauges’ needles, and that takes real patience.
    I ordered a whole cluster from a wreckers yard in Montreal, it arrived a few days ago. Took it apart and removed the speedometer plate.
    Took me literally less then 30 min to do the swap and reinstall it. Works great.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    👍

My Cars
    z3
    You can swap clusters and recode them to not get the tamper dot. Its not that hard at all

If you swap just gauge faces, the gauges will read kmh and odometer will read and say miles... Thats the wrong way to do it

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    You can swap clusters and recode them to not get the tamper dot. Its not that hard at all

If you swap just gauge faces, the gauges will read kmh and odometer will read and say miles... Thats the wrong way to do it
    Ok, I never knew that. My Z4 is a 2003, can it still be done and could you tell me how to do it please.