eBMWParts

Thread: Coilovers back to Shocks/Springs - What is needed?

My Cars
    1998 323i Vert

Coilovers back to Shocks/Springs - What is needed?

Hi All,

New owner of an E36 vert and the previous owner had replaced the blown suspension with ebay coilovers, maxpeedingrods. I am not a huge fan of the ride quality, so just ordered some Konis and Eibach to go back to a more streetable setup. I love the lowered look, but this is only going to be a weekend cruiser, I am never going to track it, and will enjoy some spirited driving from time to time.

My question is, what other parts will I need to return back to a conventional shock/spring setup if the previous owner went to a full coilover setup? Dust cover, bump stop, and strut mount - am I missing anything else?

From my understanding, the coilover system replaces the entire assembly, so there's no reason the previous owner (he had a shop do the install) to retain these parts, correct?

Anything else I should replace while I'm there?

TIA

My Cars
    99 M3
    Go to www.realoem.com. Insert the last seven of your VIN and look over the parts diagrams in the front axle sub-section for a complete listing of the parts required, from guide support to bump stop. I believe there are a couple of washers you are omitting. Also secure replacement paper gaskets and consider 1996+M3 strut tower reinforce the plates and Z3 rear shock mount reinforcement plates, though as I recall a ‘vert comes with it’s ‘half moon’ RSM reinforcement plates.
    Replace rear shock mounts with E46M3 Convertible RSMs. And get the RSM paper body gasket as well.

Use the part numbers listed to order your replacement parts.
    It is possible that the COs you have employ the OE strut mount.

H&R OE Sport Springs are very close to OE ride quality with minimal drop, though there may well not be a ‘vert fitment.
    Sachs was OE supplier for strut/shocks, but Koni and Bilstein both offer OE replacements. Bilsteins generally come with accordion dust shields and bump stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk