Thread: m44, what are these hoses?

My Cars
    02 E36/8

m44, what are these hoses?

Hello guys,

I just purchased my Z3 so please excuse the dirty engine bay. I have a couple of hoses that I would like to replace, but for the life of me, I can not locate them on realoem. Can someone help me please, thanks in advance.

My Cars
    Z3 M44 roadster 1997
    number 11

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...&fg=35&lang=it

is a little bit uncomfortable to change: you can see are 2 hoses joined together, the 2nd one goes in a point under the head a little hard to reach with your hands. you can do it, but prepare some bad words :P

and number 6

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...&fg=15&lang=it

the third one is (I thinK) for the cruise control, don't know much about it

PS: seeeing those 3 hoses, think the other ones in the car for cooling system are at their life end. consider change them ALL in a single time, you will save far more money changing them in a unique solution than changing one at a time. once you change one of them , another one will start breaking. tested on my skin
    miss ZUKU!

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    what do you mean by the cooling system hoses?

My Cars
    Z3's...
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoO View Post
    Hello guys,

I just purchased my Z3 so please excuse the dirty engine bay. I have a couple of hoses that I would like to replace, but for the life of me, I can not locate them on realoem. Can someone help me please, thanks in advance.

^ This hose goes to the injectors. There's a tee under the top manifold that is branched to each injector. I believe it's for vapor recovery.

^ This hose is for the crankcase vent, it's routed with a water hose that comes off the back of the head. The crankcase vent valve is the little circular black plastic piece by the dip stick in the top photo.

^I'm not certain about this, because this is obviously a '96 without ASC, but I suspect that it's a tube for vapor recovery from the fuel tank.

I just changed the middle hose out along with the plastic fittings on the block and head, intake manifold gasket (as I had to remove the lower manifold to get to the block,) the hose that goes to the radiator, all heater hoses (three total,) new hoses to the plate under the CVV from the block fitting and head, along with new radiator hoses, and a new radiator ( as the side tank orings were leaking ). I also added a new valve cover gasket as there was oil on spark plugs 1 through 3. Put it all togeather and now I've got a miss on #4, changed the plugs, the injector o-rings, plug wires, the CVV, and a new valve cover cap. Still got a mild miss, that doesn't set a code unless I step on it, going to change out the coil and vacume hoses next, and if that doesn't work send the injectors out to be cleaned.

My point is I'm well aquainted with these hoses on an ASC/Air injected '97 M44.
    Last edited by Z3racer701; 07-19-2013 at 06:55 PM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    The water hoses - to the radiator etc. If the breather hoses are falling apart, your water ones may not be far behind, unless you know they were changed recently.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 318TI
    Hmmm, new car. Probably doesn't have any service records.

If the water hoses are going, the whole cooling system probably needs servicing - most people just throw in the hoses when changing the radiator and water pump.

See http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18066 and http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...hlight=cooling for complete details.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    The OP does not say what year, but his M44 intake system looks the same as mine, which is a 1997 with ASC.
    I think the first photo is air hose 06, coming off the intake after the MAF as part of the automatic stability control system (ASC) which works with the intake and throttle to reduce power.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...&fg=15&lang=en

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    sorry guys it is a 96, although not sure if i have ASC. here is the options list

Options
    Code
    Description (interface)
    Description (EPC)
    S209A SPERRDIFFERENTIAL 25% Differential lock 25%
    S314A FRONTSCHEIBENWASCHDUESEN BEHEIZT Door mirror, driver lock, heated
    S388A VERDECK SCHWARZ Softtop, black
    S494A SITZHEIZUNG FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Seat heating driver/passenger
    S520A NEBELSCHEINWERFER Fog lights
    S530A KLIMAANLAGE Air conditioning
    S540A GESCHWINDIGKEITSREGELUNG Cruise control
    S550A BORDCOMPUTER On-board computer
    S676A HIFI LAUTSPRECHERSYSTEM HiFi speaker system
    S694A CD-WECHSLER VORBEREITUNG Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer
    S818A BATTERIEHAUPTSCHALTER Battery master switch
    Standard equipment
    Code
    Description (interface)
    Description (EPC)
    S240A LEDERLENKRAD Steering wheel, leather
    S243A AIRBAG FUER BEIFAHRER Airbag for front passenger
    S272A LM RAD/Z STAR BMW LA wheel Z Star
    S354A GRUENKEIL-FRONTSCHEIBE Windscreen, green-tinted upper strip
    S380A HARDTOP-VORBEREITUNG Hardtop-preparation
    S410A FENSTERHEBER, ELEKTRISCH VORN Window lifts, electric, front
    S440A NICHTRAUCHERPAKET non-smoker package
    S687A RADIOVORBEREITUNG Radio preparation
    S806A 3.BREMSLEUCHTE Third stoplamp
    S850A ZUSAETZL. TANKFUELLUNG EXPORT Additional Export tank filling
    S853A SPRACHVERSION ENGLISCH Language version, English

coolent system has been completely updated by previous owner, i do have all service records from when the car was owned since birth. everything i listed above are the only hoses that i could see that have any kind of damage,without removing intake manifold of course. any way to check to see if i have ASC? there isnt a button or anything in the car to turn it off.

My Cars
    Z3's...
    ASC is a secondary throttle that goes in the middle of where your intake boot is. Your long rubber boot that goes from the Air Flow sensor to the throttle body is replaced by two shorter boots with an extra single throttle body that's controled by the traction computer. As I said, it's pretty obvious that yours is a '96 and it doesn't have the ASC throttle body.

The top hose should be in the fuel injection menu, the second would be in the cooling hose menu since it's bundled with the intake pre-heat water hose, and the bottom would be in the fuel vapor recovery.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3racer701 View Post
    ASC is a secondary throttle that goes in the middle of where your intake boot is. Your long rubber boot that goes from the Air Flow sensor to the throttle body is replaced by two shorter boots with an extra single throttle body that's controled by the traction computer. As I said, it's pretty obvious that yours is a '96 and it doesn't have the ASC throttle body....
    I have a 1997. It has the long rubber intake boot just like the OP's in this thread. And it has ASC, shown in VIN Decoder as:
    S214A AUT.STABIL.-CONTROL+TRAKTION(ASC+T) Automatic stability control (ASC+T)
    The ASC button can be seen here:
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ps0ee4d6bf.jpg

My Cars
    Z3's...
    If you have the long rubber boot like the OP's, and you have the button and the designation as included equiptment, (which as I understand all '97s came wth ACS) then I'd conclude that a prior owner had performed an ASC-delete and removed it.

Note, I'm talking about part #9:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/o/h/19.png

OP, you'll be looking for tube #18:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...03&hg=13&fg=15

Probably hose #3:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...72&hg=13&fg=15

and hose #11:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=11&fg=35
    Last edited by Z3racer701; 07-20-2013 at 11:16 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3racer701 View Post
    If you have the long rubber boot like the OP's, and you have the button and the designation as included equiptment, (which as I understand all '97s came wth ACS) then I'd conclude that a prior owner had performed an ASC-delete and removed it. Note, I'm talking about part #9:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/o/h/19.png...
    Yes, my 1997 the long rubber intake boot, the ASC button on the console, and the warning light in the instrument cluster works if I turn off the ASC. The car only had 32,000 miles and original tires when I bought it from a 90-year old owner who would not have deleted anything. I think I have an intact and functioning ASC.
    But in that diagram, part #9 and the intake around it do not look like the long intake boot that the OP and I have.

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    thanks guys, looks like 18,3 ,and 11.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 & 1982 320is
    25% Lock diff in a 96 1.9? Hmmmm interesting...the hose from the boot to the injectors i replaced and bought one from pelican parts. the others i used line from Advance auto and cut it to fit.

98 Roady M44
    * Auto to 5 Speed Swap
    * 3.73 LSD Diff swap
    * e46 330i Staggered Wheels
    * H&R Springs & Sways with Bilstein Sports

82 320is
    * 5-speed, LSD, Recaro Seats & Completely Stock

My Cars
    02 E36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by z3540i View Post
    25% Lock diff in a 96 1.9? Hmmmm interesting..
    yes i too was surprised when i saw that before i bought the car. i looked it up and everyone said it that it was a rarity to see it even built with one and so i had to test to make sure it had it.

My Cars
    Z3 M44 roadster 1997
    Quote Originally Posted by dougmcintyre View Post
    Hmmm, new car. Probably doesn't have any service records.

If the water hoses are going, the whole cooling system probably needs servicing - most people just throw in the hoses when changing the radiator and water pump.

See http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18066 and http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...hlight=cooling for complete details.
    as I said before. I agree

all the rubber hoses in the car that are aprt of cooling system. And i intend ALL, the hidden ones and the ones that seems ok seeing from outside too

Quote Originally Posted by z3540i View Post
    25% Lock diff in a 96 1.9?.
    I have it on a 97 1.9, was an optional here in europe.
    Last edited by resunoiz; 07-22-2013 at 04:22 AM.
    miss ZUKU!

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    I just picked up a '96 that has the same 25% locking diff, and has ASC+T with the same long intake boot that the OP and Vintage42 have.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Could there be another way of ASC+T working to reduce power other than a throttle box in the middle of the rubber intake boot? Maybe by having the ECU cut the timing?
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    Could there be another way of ASC+T working to reduce power other than a throttle box in the middle of the rubber intake boot? Maybe by having the ECU cut the timing?
    I have no idea, but it would be interesting why some cars got one system and others got the other.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    So my car has ASC+T on the VIN build data, a button on the console and a light in the cluster.
    But without a secondary throttle in the middle of the intake boot, how is the system reducing power when needed?
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405