Thread: DWA and initialization block in INPA

My Cars
    '95 540iA

DWA and initialization block in INPA

Here is my experience trying to deactivate initialization block or initialization lock.
    My car is a 9/94 build date 1995 540iA with the s302 build code for the alarm package. The alarm package in my car consists of the DWA Module under the driver's rear seat forward of the General module/Relay module carrier( not the alpine unit), and a corresponding FZV antenna located in the interior rearview mirror. The key is the 3 button integrated key fob found in mid to late 90s and possibly early 2000s BMW'S. The operating frequency is 315MHz for the U.S.
    I bought a replacement mirror from a similar 540i to fix weak signal strength and suceptibilty to interference which I traced to a bad pcb at the FZV antenna. The issue came when the key would not initialize.
    INPA would show that the "remote controls" module (it considers the FZV mirror as a module separate from the DWA module under the rear seat) had an active initialization block. One would think that you would simply select deactivate initialization block under the activate menu, but that did nothing for me and it still showed an active block. What I had to do was basically send the deactivate command to the module while at the same time performing the normal key synchronization procedure. This proved tricky since the key needs to be out of the ignition to sync keys and INPA needs the key in at least position 1 to communicate with the module. Finally, I got the mirror to sync with the key.

Just needed to get this out there while it was still fresh in the head. Hopefully this new mirror passes the longevity test. I will update this thread if it re-blocks. If there are no other questions, good luck to you.

P.S. My INPA setup consists of the tinyADS interface from benemorious and an old Dell laptop with serial port running everything on ADS interface settings.

Quote Originally Posted by 1990525i View Post
    the bees knees

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    This is interesting but way above my head. A couple years back I read into trying to figure out how to connect to the BMW e34/e32 ADS interface with EDIABAS / INPA, and got as far as hunting ebay for an old windows XP laptop with a real built-in serial port (which is apparently necessary for this to work?), but eventually gave up on the idea.

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    I have a late build date 540/6 which came with a three button remote key fob which has the Siemens processor inside but no red lens for the function illumination... the remote will not initialize. I replaced the batteries checked the fuse in the back seat unit and took it to a local BMW shop who has the software to clear this.. he scanned it and it said it didn't have an initialization block... the thing I didn't read you mention was the unit in the left side C Pillar.. a coax cable is connected to the rear window antenna and then the unit under the back seat... have you checked that C Pillar unit for connection? The reason I suspect this could be my issue with no key communication is when I have the FM radio on if I activate the rear defrost heating element I get static on the radio so I wondered if someone swapped cables and has the key antenna cable connected to the FM radio

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    It was my understanding that this particular system, a pre-EWS (not sure if that matters) DWA Alarm System with the 3 button integrated remote key does not utilize the rear "antenna-diversity" from that box in the rear c-pillar. I think the diagrams confirm this. The alarm antenna was moved to the back window for other models/chassis from what I gather. Take the e39 for example. I believe the radio-controlled alarm antenna in the mirror was a late e34 and e31 thing. Other models like the e32 and e36 may have also had it in the mirror on certain cars , but I am not sure.

For posterity's sake, I can try disconnecting all the wires from that "amplifier" box in the c-pillar and see if my alarm system still functions. I have to be in there anyways to wire grounds to my rear map lights.

the bees knees

My Cars
    '95 525it
    I gave up long ago trying to get the remote to work for my 10/94 build-date 540i. Tried the initialization process over and over, and just resigned myself to using the key in the lock. The antenna in the mirror was probably bad, but diagnosis was (and remains) way over my head.

The DWA occasionally would do something weird. I think I accidentally locked myself in one time by bumping the lock button, and had to open the window and unlock the door with the key to get out. Another time I did something to trigger the immobilizer and the car would not crank. Again, unlocked the door with the key and DWA let me drive away.

My Cars
    99 528i, 90 535i, 07 X3
    @paperplane94, really curious to hear more about this system you have. My understanding is that E34's came with three keyless entry/security systems:

-The IR-alarm mirror on early E34's, pretty rare, uses two button key head remote.
    -The Alpine unit, three button separate remote.
    -The late production (1/95 and later) EWS-DWA system with DME lockout and three-button keyhead remote.

I take it this is a fourth system entirely?

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by jehu View Post
    I have a late build date 540/6 which came with a three button remote key fob which has the Siemens processor inside but no red lens for the function illumination... the remote will not initialize. I replaced the batteries checked the fuse in the back seat unit and took it to a local BMW shop who has the software to clear this.. he scanned it and it said it didn't have an initialization block... the thing I didn't read you mention was the unit in the left side C Pillar.. a coax cable is connected to the rear window antenna and then the unit under the back seat... have you checked that C Pillar unit for connection? The reason I suspect this could be my issue with no key communication is when I have the FM radio on if I activate the rear defrost heating element I get static on the radio so I wondered if someone swapped cables and has the key antenna cable connected to the FM radio
    So I disconnected all of the wires from that unit in the drivers c-pillar and the alarm system and key fob still worked fine. I think it is safe to say that the rear window antenna is not utilized by the alarm system, at least for my type of alarm system.
    Here is a pic of my "diversity antenna" unit disconnected:
    IMG_20200523_185257.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TiagE39 View Post
    @paperplane94, really curious to hear more about this system you have. My understanding is that E34's came with three keyless entry/security systems:

-The IR-alarm mirror on early E34's, pretty rare, uses two button key head remote.
    -The Alpine unit, three button separate remote.
    -The late production (1/95 and later) EWS-DWA system with DME lockout and three-button keyhead remote.

I take it this is a fourth system entirely?
    I don't believe it can be considered a fourth system because by reading the electrical wiring diagrams it appears it's the same as a late production 1995 model year except that the DWA module doesn't take inputs from the EWS system. I do however recall that my car cannot be started when the alarm system is armed (again I do not have EWS/transponder chip in key of any kind).

the bees knees

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Thanks for this. I was having the same problem re-initializing my key after I replaced the batteries. INPA was indicating the initialization lock was ‘removed’ but I could only re-initialize the key when I attempted the re-initialization procedure immediately after removing the lock via INPA as you described!

Get in car, have all doors, windows, trunk, hood etc closed.

1. Key in position 1
    2. Connect INPA
    3. Navigate to remote locking under ‘Body’
    4. Under ‘Activate’ menu select ‘deactivate initialization lock’
    5. Click OK in the pop up
    6. Switch key off and remove from lock cylinder
    7. Press and hold ‘unlock’ while pressing ‘lock’ three times
    8. Door locks will cycle

Viola!!

Nice to have the 90s ‘beep beep’ again!!!

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Could it be that a car which did not ship with the Remote Option was just deliberately given an initialization block and trying this again on the computer will be all I have to do to activate the system? I would assume its something like this rather than not installing some antenna in the mirror
    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Thanks for this. I was having the same problem re-initializing my key after I replaced the batteries. INPA was indicating the initialization lock was ‘removed’ but I could only re-initialize the key when I attempted the re-initialization procedure immediately after removing the lock via INPA as you described!

Get in car, have all doors, windows, trunk, hood etc closed.

1. Key in position 1
    2. Connect INPA
    3. Navigate to remote locking under ‘Body’
    4. Under ‘Activate’ menu select ‘deactivate initialization lock’
    5. Click OK in the pop up
    6. Switch key off and remove from lock cylinder
    7. Press and hold ‘unlock’ while pressing ‘lock’ three times
    8. Door locks will cycle

Viola!!

Nice to have the 90s ‘beep beep’ again!!!

My Cars
    540i/6, 740il,M Roadster
    It would be possible, however if the car didn't have the option they would just include a manual mirror instead of the much more expensive remote one.

looking at the pin out a simple wiring problem on pin,4,8,or 9 would not allow the mirror module to go into program mode.

X18246 Function Wire Color
    1 Reverse signal (bkp lights) BL/GR
    2 Power, Constant
    3 Power, Switched
    4 TXD WS/VI
    5 Door lock trigger WS/RT/GE
    6 Door Unlock trigger BL/RT/GE
    7 Driver Door Switch BR/RT/GE
    8 RXD WS/GE
    9 DWA Signal BR/GR/WS
    10 Ground Brown
    --- FZV Antenna Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by jehu View Post
    Could it be that a car which did not ship with the Remote Option was just deliberately given an initialization block and trying this again on the computer will be all I have to do to activate the system? I would assume its something like this rather than not installing some antenna in the mirror

My Cars
    e34 540i 6spd
    Reviving this thread because my transponder is out of sync with DWE. Called the dealership, but is there a consensus at this point on whether I can fix it with one of these https://www.amazon.com/20PIN-16PIN-C...s%2C170&sr=8-5

And a laptop? It looks like there is a tool here to fix the USB chooses random serial port issue http://blog.jaroslavklima.com/2011/0...cmcia.html?m=1

My Cars
    525 e34

Help e34 door actuators

Paperplane94 Need some help on an old thread wich was about the e34 door lock actuators all my locks are frozen open or had to remove to be able to lock/unlock do u still have some pictures and know where to get the motors ... thanks in advace