Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my 540i build thread DUDMD tuned

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed

my 540i build thread DUDMD tuned

What's up everyone haven't really been on here in a while lurked here and there. With the whole COVID19 situation i was very fortunate to work from home, and while doing so I thought now would be good time to freshen things up on the old gal.

Will continue to add more pics as I come along, car mods are done by me or Auto Tuning house in Winterpark FL.

MODS:

Engine:
    Full Refresh top to bottom gaskets and cooling system.
    ecs tuning n62 throttle body kit
    ecs tuning air temp sensor relocation kit
    m60 intake manifold with port matched TB plate for N62
    Super Sprint long Tube Race headers(catless to resonated rear)
    Eisenmann Race exhaust (84mm) tips
    DUDMD crackle tune
    custom fabbed 3.5 inch intake pipe
    AFE dryflow drop in filter(stock box)
    88c thermostat
    CSF racing Aluminum radiator
    MY custom build electric cooling fan system with shroud.(all is fitted under factory shroud for stealth OEM look)

Suspension:
    Koni yellows
    H&R springs
    Camber plates
    M5 rear swaybar

Drivetrain:
    E60 short shifter
    Upgraded shifter bushings all from ECS
    Scheidemann bmw Single Mass Flywheel
    Clutch masters stage 2 kit with Sprung disk
    03 3.15 rear differential with Einhorn Industries Unicorn Egg.

Wheels:
    AC Schnitzer type 2 staggered set specifically for e39
    18x8.5 et15 front with 255/40 tire
    18x9.5 et22 Rear with 275/35 tire

20200504_014042.jpg
    20200504_212004.jpg

20200506_204954.jpg
    20200508_191106.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vien; 11-18-2020 at 12:59 PM.
    540i 6spd DUDMD tuned-weekend brute, sounds like an M5 throaty V8 "Vtec-ish" cam noise.

Hummer- 35inch MT's, Adventure offroad package.

check out my video gear
    https://kit.co/Lv5multimedia/mobile-videographer-set-up

Best Oil hands down for bmw
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1441c0abde2552

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    Last edited by vien; 05-16-2020 at 07:20 PM.
    540i 6spd DUDMD tuned-weekend brute, sounds like an M5 throaty V8 "Vtec-ish" cam noise.

check out my video gear

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Is the crackle tune similar to the one some of the Ford Coyote guys have had done to their ECU? It dumps more fuel in when you lift off the gas to make the exhaust crackle?
    Some Ford guys have reported that the back of the intake valves are getting carboned up, might not be good for the CAT's either.
    Might not be the case with the Dima tune, I'm just curious.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Is the crackle tune similar to the one some of the Ford Coyote guys have had done to their ECU? It dumps more fuel in when you lift off the gas to make the exhaust crackle?
    Some Ford guys have reported that the back of the intake valves are getting carboned up, might not be good for the CAT's either.
    Might not be the case with the Dima tune, I'm just curious.

so far ive been good, the valves are super clean. its a very small amount of fuel. i have video of it i can post once i figure how to do so on here. his brother was the first, im the second we spent about a week going back and forth with logs and i told him where it needed adjustment and stuff. Car rides out like a champ better than my previous tune with him he cleaned this one up very well. once i get the car up and running again ill make a detailed vid.

check out my video gear

My Cars
    2000 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by vien View Post
    so far ive been good, the valves are super clean. its a very small amount of fuel. i have video of it i can post once i figure how to do so on here. his brother was the first, im the second we spent about a week going back and forth with logs and i told him where it needed adjustment and stuff. Car rides out like a champ better than my previous tune with him he cleaned this one up very well. once i get the car up and running again ill make a detailed vid.
    I imagine it would take awhile for the increased wear to show if it does at all. A lot of people will mess with the timing/fuel to make that pop/crackle at decel. Almost all of it is at the detriment of the car(loss of performance or increased wear on the cats). I'm not judging, I appreciate some pop too but I'd want to 100% know what was changed to make it happen. Like I said, not judging or saying its 100% bad or anything.

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    I know coyotes changed over the years, but aren't the newer ones direct injected? They are suffering from carbon buildup like all direct injected cars.
    On normal, spray in port injectors, the extra fuel should be washing the valve down. So no buildup.
    Now the cats, thats another story, they won't like it.
    I have a DUDMD tune that I'm trying to muffle the pops out of. I think the only way is to put stock mufflers back on.
    Last edited by wagons ho; 05-14-2020 at 04:43 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    Quote Originally Posted by wagons ho View Post
    I know coyotes changed over the years, but aren't the newer ones direct injected? They are suffering from carbon buildup like all direct injected cars.
    On normal, spray in port injectors, the extra fuel should be washing the valve down.
    Now the cats, thats another story, they won't like it.
    I have a DUDMD tune that I'm trying to muffle the pops out of. I think the only way is to put stock mufflers back on.
    correct they are direct injection. On my tune its a very tiny amount that gets burned up, we went through logs every day for a week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deadwake View Post
    I imagine it would take awhile for the increased wear to show if it does at all. A lot of people will mess with the timing/fuel to make that pop/crackle at decel. Almost all of it is at the detriment of the car(loss of performance or increased wear on the cats). I'm not judging, I appreciate some pop too but I'd want to 100% know what was changed to make it happen. Like I said, not judging or saying its 100% bad or anything.

yeah that would be a issue for direct injection but not the m62 or any of them with multipoint fuel injection.

check out my video gear

My Cars
    540i
    Quote Originally Posted by vien View Post
    Whats up everyone havent really been on here in a while lurked here and there. With the whole COVID19 situation i was very fortunate to work from home, and while doing so i thought now would be good time to freshen things up on the old gal.
    Had my whole exhaust done from the headers back true duel stainless 2.5 inch piping with 2 resonators merging into a y pipe like factory. O
    ordered new wheels and tires went with square set up, along with pre-vanos intake manifold, along with the ecs tuning n62 throttle body kit, and the air intake temp sensor relocation kit.
    Put in brand new oem from fcp injectors and pretty much did all the maintenance stuff. Got some stuff powder coated and created my own intake elbow that is 3.5inch. I kept the factory box because its great and doenst need to be changed.
    Suspension i did koni yellows, H&R springs, and camber plates up front. Updated my DUDMD tune i am the 2nd car in the country that Dima has put the crackle tune on. Still working on it as i type this more pics coming soon, i will be repainting the car also.
    Cooling wise i did the 88c thermostat, with electric fan conversion.

Will continue to add more pics as i come along, car is headed to Auto Tuning house in Winterpark FL for the suspension goodies to go on,

MODS:

Engine:
    ecs tuning n62 throttle body kit
    ecs tuning air temp sensor relocation kit
    m60 intake manifold with port matched TB plate for N62
    DUDMD crackle tune
    custom fabbed 3.5 inch intake pipe
    AFE dryflow drop in filter(stock box)
    88c thermostat
    Custom 2.5 inch stainless exhaust from headers back.

Suspension:
    Koni yellows
    H&R springs
    Camber plates
    M5 rear swaybar

Drivetrain:
    E60 short shifter
    Upgraded shifter bushings all from ECS

Wheels:
    18x9.5 offset 22 on 275/35 all around.

20200504_014042.jpg
    20200504_212004.jpg
    20200506_200541.jpg
    20200506_204954.jpg
    20200508_191106.jpg
    Great looking build and love the color. Did you have to roll the rear fenders to fit the 275s?

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I don't get why the kiddies like the cracklecrackle popPOP crap, what is up with that??? My race prepped S1000RR does it, I cant stand it, its doing it every time you get off the throttle when I have it switched to race mode. My friends swear they saw it puke out a footlong flame out the pipe a few times already. But the bike was set up for the track, all of its 1300 plus miles are all from VIR or Summit Point, and on a dyno. But I keep getting thumbs up from kids out in traffic, now that I donned on the street bodywork, but still on slicks, a lot of thumbs up from the stupid crackle backfirire. Those Fast And The Furious movies have really messed up some young minds.
    Last edited by BimmrMeUpSnotty; 05-14-2020 at 08:28 PM.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    I don't get why the kiddies like the cracklecrackle popPOP crap, what is up with that???
    Must be the Rice Crispies kiddies.

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    Nice work, vien. A couple of questions, if you don't mind.

How did you make that intake pipe? From scratch or did you start with something close to that size and shape?

Sounds like you have the stock intake box. Any change to the snorkel?

And what are your impressions of the DUDMD tune, for performance and driveability?

My Cars
    00 540_6
    The intake pipe would be easy to have made. go to a fab shop with a mandrel bender and get them to bend up a piece of sluminum pipe

https://store.buymetal.com/aluminum/...3.5-0.125.html
    12" pc .125" wall thickness.

the DINAN maf housing is 2 pieces tubing, one pressed into the other, when I get home I'll take a picture.
    https://store.buymetal.com/aluminum/...-4-sch-40.html
    start with this, get some 1" thick plate to make the Sensor seat predrill the seat for the sensor, machine the radius into back side to get good contact, chamfer it for penetration, weld it on the 4" pipe, bore to size for the sensor (.004"-.008" clearance) drill and tap for the button head cap screws, clean it up and paint with wrinkle paint. maybe $20 in materials and maybe 2 hours for the first one.... If I would have thought about this before these cars were 20 years old I would have made a bunch of these to sell.
    Last edited by toybreaker; 05-15-2020 at 08:18 AM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTe39 View Post
    Great looking build and love the color. Did you have to roll the rear fenders to fit the 275s?
    no fender rolling at all i also added 10mm spacer in rear and its perfect. Im on the m5 board and those guys do this set up quite often. The front you need a spacer as well to clear the shock tower. Mine up front is 12mm, ill get more pics soon after i get the engine bits up together. I pulled all nighter so i should be finished today after work.

check out my video gear

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    Quote Originally Posted by R Shaffner View Post
    Nice work, vien. A couple of questions, if you don't mind.

How did you make that intake pipe? From scratch or did you start with something close to that size and shape?

Sounds like you have the stock intake box. Any change to the snorkel?

And what are your impressions of the DUDMD tune, for performance and driveability?
    I love his tune no complaints at all. Dima spent the time with me and i greatly appreciated that, not sure if he will do that with everyone based on the time constraints.
    With mine since the only other person was his brother that had the tune i guess kinda wanted to fine tune it. Took about a week and gave my input. As far as the intake i ordered a 3.5 inch 90 degree aluminum pipe cut it down to my measurements where it would clear, then i tapped holes for the vacuum lines. I had the who thing powder coated to make it look nice since. What this concept does is nice free flowing mandrel bent smooth pipe that eliminates the resonator. The stock snorkal i cut up to the widest point behind the bumper, fresh cold air and the best mod with doing this is the ECS tuning air intake temp sensor relocation. My factory temps used to be near 100 degrees or around there, not with this mod it doesnt go past 55 degrees on a hot day here in Florida. that to me was game changer because the airflow is reading cooler and not pulling timing or anything to compensate for the heat soak.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by toybreaker View Post
    The intake pipe would be easy to have made. go to a fab shop with a mandrel bender and get them to bend up a piece of sluminum pipe

https://store.buymetal.com/aluminum/...3.5-0.125.html
    12" pc .125" wall thickness.

the DINAN maf housing is 2 pieces tubing, one pressed into the other, when I get home I'll take a picture.
    https://store.buymetal.com/aluminum/...-4-sch-40.html
    start with this, get some 1" thick plate to make the Sensor seat predrill the seat for the sensor, machine the radius into back side to get good contact, chamfer it for penetration, weld it on the 4" pipe, bore to size for the sensor (.004"-.008" clearance) drill and tap for the button head cap screws, clean it up and paint with wrinkle paint. maybe $20 in materials and maybe 2 hours for the first one.... If I would have thought about this before these cars were 20 years old I would have made a bunch of these to sell.

pretty much but there is much much easier way is the way i did it.

check out my video gear

My Cars
    00 540_6

Seems pretty crappy manufacturing to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current:
    2000 540I6 DD
    2001 F250 4X4 tow beast
    2016 RRS 3.0 supercharged (wifes DD)
    1999 Miata (go kart for the street)
    1970 Mustang (in flux, 393 build in progress)

Past
    1957 bel air 1965 Mustang (first car) 1965 SS impala
    1966 496 malibu 1969 Camaro 1970 Nova
    1997 528IA 1997 540I6 2000 528IA 2001 525IA

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    Quote Originally Posted by toybreaker View Post

Seems pretty crappy manufacturing to me.

damn thanks, with those pics alone i can fab one up. that silicone part of the elbow is what 45 degrees?

check out my video gear

My Cars
    00 540_6
    Yeah about 45*

Current:
    2000 540I6 DD
    2001 F250 4X4 tow beast
    2016 RRS 3.0 supercharged (wifes DD)
    1999 Miata (go kart for the street)
    1970 Mustang (in flux, 393 build in progress)

Past
    1957 bel air 1965 Mustang (first car) 1965 SS impala
    1966 496 malibu 1969 Camaro 1970 Nova
    1997 528IA 1997 540I6 2000 528IA 2001 525IA

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    last 2 pics put everything together started her right up. Runs soo much smother with brand new injectors. response from the 84mm Is nice withe m60 manifold. Also pic of my clutch fan delete set up with oem shroud and aluminum underneath. I still retain oem coolant tank. 16inch spal fan. Everything looking oem. And the powder coated valved covers. they pretty shot but came out ok.

check out my video gear

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    just dropped the car off at Auto tuning house, getting complete suspension refresh and H&R spring put on along with fresh components and camber plates. Fixing an oil leak issue with the valve covers. I cant wait to get it back with the refresh of the suspension and i put on my new wheels and tires before i dropped it off.

check out my video gear

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Must be the Rice Crispies kiddies.
    Hey Jim, i just hit up turner and they gave me a quote as of right now for the super sprint manifolds for $2050 shipped and can be sent out today. Thoughts compared to what you dealt with the Schmiedmann ?

check out my video gear

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    A Supersprint for $2050 is a great deal, I'd jump on it.
    Much easier to install than the welded one piece headers from Schmiedmann.
    You will be doing less cussing too.
    The Schmiedmann require custom welding to connect them to the rest of the exhaust system.
    Pretty sure Philly has Supersprint headers too.
    Last edited by JimLev; 05-20-2020 at 01:42 PM.

My Cars
    540i
    that's a deal. I paid about 2500 shipped a couple of years ago

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Nice to hear about your mods and tune by Dima! I see Dima and his brother Ben about once a month, they are doing maintenance and repairs on my 540 M-Sport and a few carefully chosen mods on my M550i. Ben just did a suspension refresh on my 540 M-Sport, including steering center link, everything is tight. I'll be seeing them in a couple weeks for a last item or to on the 540.

BTW, I like your suspension changes, one thing I recommend adding, is the M5 traction rods. You can pick up a set cheap from the guy on the M5 boards that parts out M5s. I found it does tighten up the rear subframe to the chassis, with a bit more roll stiffness. I think he only charged me $115 for everything, including hardware and the plastic aero parts. I just needed to rattle can them with some fresh paint.

At some point you will probably want to find a used set of Eibach anti roll bars...put in a permanent search on Ebay so you get emails if a listing pops up. Ben installed a new set for me a couple years ago when they were still available...worth it.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Pops and bangs https://www.facebook.com/DUDMD/videos/567569827444213/

I won't be doing this on my car
    Last edited by f355spider; 05-22-2020 at 10:34 PM.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i 6speed
    Quote Originally Posted by f355spider View Post
    Nice to hear about your mods and tune by Dima! I see Dima and his brother Ben about once a month, they are doing maintenance and repairs on my 540 M-Sport and a few carefully chosen mods on my M550i. Ben just did a suspension refresh on my 540 M-Sport, including steering center link, everything is tight. I'll be seeing them in a couple weeks for a last item or to on the 540.

BTW, I like your suspension changes, one thing I recommend adding, is the M5 traction rods. You can pick up a set cheap from the guy on the M5 boards that parts out M5s. I found it does tighten up the rear subframe to the chassis, with a bit more roll stiffness. I think he only charged me $115 for everything, including hardware and the plastic aero parts. I just needed to rattle can them with some fresh paint.

At some point you will probably want to find a used set of Eibach anti roll bars...put in a permanent search on Ebay so you get emails if a listing pops up. Ben installed a new set for me a couple years ago when they were still available...worth it.
    thanks yeah the car is still at auto tuning house for the suspension, while i was at it i told him to refresh every mount rubber what ever. might as well since its already apart. Ill have to look into the traction rods, and more than likely ill ask dima for retune for the m60 manifold and 84mm TB lol. Still debating on headers right now but kinda just weighing options. im also trying to get another car and its either spend the 3k after installation of the headers or maybe put that money on the other car or investments.

check out my video gear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast