Thread: Manual Swap Parts Search

My Cars
    E23

Manual Swap Parts Search

Hey everyone I've been lurking for a little while and I'm finally going to be picking up an E23 this weekend. Sorry if this has been covered already but I've gone through all the old posts and they seem to be dated. I'm looking to acquire manual trans swap parts over time for a future Auto --> manual swap but I was wondering if you guys could recommend sites or vendors to go through to acquire them. I know the Trans brace, Driveshaft, pedals will be the hardest so if anyone has any sort of recommendations I appreciate it!

Checklist:
    - Drive-Shaft
    - Pedal Box (can I just replace the pedals and not the whole box?)
    - Shift Console
    - Transmission brace (Crossmember)
    - Transmission (Getrag 265/6 5 Speed or 260?)
    - Clutch kit (New sachs m30 ckutch kit "Rock Auto)

If I'm missing anything else please chime in, along with other stuff I should change out while I'm there.

My Cars
    98 318ti, 80 733, 76 '02
    Welcome to the forum!
    I'm not going to be a ton of help on the particulars, but there are mondo helpful, knowledgable people here.
    If your new ride has the three speed auto, I understand the driveshaft from it will work.
    I also believe the only part you need from the console is the top plate where the boot connects to.
    While you are at Rock auto, might as well get the clutch master and slave cylinder, if they have them.
    I do know everything left on your list will need to be sourced from dealers who specialize in used parts. I've read that you will be better off if you can get a whole parts car, but that is certainly not the only (or sometimes the most viable) option. People sell parts on this forum, or you can put up a wanted ad. Same place you put this post up.

And, be sure to post up some pics of the new ride when you get it. We all love pics. Especially during the lockdown.

My Cars
    1985 745i
    Any transmission from an m30 powered car will bolt up. G265, g260/5, g260/6, even a g240 from the early 318 will bolt up (don’t do that one though). I am running a g265 with a 3-speed shaft.

Buy new:
    -master cylinder
    -slave cylinder
    -clutch rubber line - not sure if you can get this new anymore. Go stainless if you can.
    -clutch kit
    -clutch fluid reservoir
    -clutch feed line: res->master
    -resurface a single mass flywheel
    -flex disc/guibo
    -center support bearing
    -shifter bushings
    -SEALS: input, output, selector shaft and rear main seals at minimum
    -might as well throw a b35 starter in there

Do the whole pedal box. If I remember right there is a hole in the manual box that you would have to measure out and cut with the auto box. I did my swap 8 years ago so this particular area is a bit fuzzy now.
    When your enemy is making a mistake, do not interrupt him.

My Cars
    E23
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! As far as searching for all the parts was there any recommendations of sites or just to keep an eye open on here/classifieds/ and eBay

My Cars
    1985 745i
    For used parts, wait around here or craigslist, eBay, etc. New parts I order from Pelican Parts, ECS, BAVAUTO, FCP Euro, RM European, etc. It’s like choosing your favorite coffee, everyone prefers something different but none are “bad”.
    Or if you’re handy, check out your local junkyards to yank parts yourself.
    When your enemy is making a mistake, do not interrupt him.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Also tune in on mye28.com. Lots of parts that will work and many tutorials over there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    E3,E9,E23,E39iT
    I have a driveshaft from an early Euro E23 that was equipped with a 265/6. P/N of driveshaft 26111225035. pm if you still are looking.