Thread: Need help identifying top end noise. Video link included

My Cars
    1988 BMW 635csi

Need help identifying top end noise. Video link included

ar is an 83 528e. I recently installed a fresh engine, keeping it stock, from an 88 325e. The engine had 130,000k on it before the rebuild and I could tell it had been babied. Very good condition. Compression was excellent in all cylinders and I rebuilt everything short of pulling the pistons and crank.

Ive put about 1000km on it since rebuild and just recently Ive noticed a sound on start up that comes from the top end near the rear cylinders. It is audible through all RPM and only when throttle is applied. It goes away completely as the engine warms up. In the link included you can hear it as a squealing/ metallic rubbing sound when I open the throttle.

I initially thought it sounded like a bad pully bearing but unfortunately it is definitely coming from somewhere in the head.

Oil pressure light goes out immediately on start and engine stabilizes at a cool temp. I dont have a pressure gauge to measure the oil psi.

I have owned these BMWs for about a decade now and have always kept my valves adjusted. I don't know if I have ever even heard what valves sound like when they are out of adjustment. I am hoping this is the answer but take a look at the video and tell me what you think.

THE LINK:
    https://youtu.be/DG-b4s94ZtQ

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would check the valves