Thread: Refreshed oem shifter or UUC short shifter?

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC

Refreshed oem shifter or UUC short shifter?

I plan on doing the shift pin rebuild and was wanting input on rebuilding the stock shifter or go UUC short shifter. Also is the DSSR worth the extra money?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I have found that the short shifters seem to feel more notchy, like you feel the engement of the gears a lot more than stock, so it depends what you like

it depends what u really want

My Cars
    2001 BMW M Roadster
    I say stick with OEM. Honestly, unless you're really modding the car, the stock shifter feel is great as is, especially with a ZHP shift knob if you haven't already added that. I just put a short shift kit in my DD GTI, and while I like it, it's not as "great" as I thought it'd be. It's almost too short. Gonna leave it as is because I don't feel like reversing the mod, but I say stick with stock unless you're unhappy with the feel. Only you can decide, of course.
    2001 BMW M Roadster - Steel Gray over Imola Red/Black (1 of 8), Eisenmann sport exhaust, KW V3 coilovers, Strong Strut engine brace, Randy Forbes subframe reinforcement, GSR Technik tune, 3.64 Torsen LSD...Weekend toy!
    ">

Quote Originally Posted by spikeisgr8 View Post
    I say stick with OEM. Honestly, unless you're really modding the car, the stock shifter feel is great as is, especially with a ZHP shift knob if you haven't already added that. I just put a short shift kit in my DD GTI, and while I like it, it's not as "great" as I thought it'd be. It's almost too short. Gonna leave it as is because I don't feel like reversing the mod, but I say stick with stock unless you're unhappy with the feel. Only you can decide, of course.

Pls let me add..........I dont agree here.

I instruct at HPDE events...for over 20 yrs...Ive driven 1000s of modded cars. I DO NOT feel our oem shifters are really that good. Some BMWs are amazing...not my 2.8 cpe Never was Some of the Active Autowork and Autosolutions kits were amazing...Rogue as well....UUC have varied. As I stated, i run an MZ3 lever n my 2.8 and it was a cheaper way to feel impvt.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Thanks for your input guys, back in the day I always had Hurst Shifters which were definitely different. I know I have to do the shift pin fix but never driving with any other shifter in a Z3 other than oem makes it hard to compare. That's why I was asking for advice from some of you that have driven with other shifters besides oem. I don't want to spend extra money unless it is really a big Improvement.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Compared to a Hurst shifter from the old days, a stock shifter will feel just fine.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Here's what I would do in your situation. In fact, I will be doing this same thing down the road. Do the shift pin bushing fix first and maybe freshen up the shifter arm bushings as well. Now you will have the original stock feel as opposed to the sloppy worn out feel. If that is not notchy enough for you, then consider a short shifter. A short shifter is not that difficult to install so there's no big deal in not doing it while the transmission is out. If practical, I like to do one change at a time so I know exactly what that component does to the feel/performance.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    Compared to a Hurst shifter from the old days, a stock shifter will feel just fine.
    I much prefer the old hurst shifter my 64 Chevelle SS had any day.
    9C749995-7C5C-4DBB-8209-39EA92A2F7DB.jpg
    Last edited by z3forlife; 05-07-2020 at 07:26 AM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Minor point that some may not be aware of.... the M shifter is quite a bit faster than the regular Z3. I have a UUC, and took it back out in favor of the stock M shifter. I felt that with the UUC, you had to bang the shifts; no finesse. Though this is amplified by the Getrag having different internal ratios than the ZF.

/.randy

Yes

My mz3 lever upgrade was a perfect mod vs my 28 lever

Covid will make it difficult but try other ssk’s when u can

Do the mz3 mod. It’s cheap

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    I have the UUC shifter in my car and it is indeed a lot shorter throw and notchy. In my e39 M5, I did the e60 540 sport shifter and that was a really nice mod. OEM feel, shorter more direct throw. Just depends what you want. Everything has trades.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    I have the UUC shifter in my car and it is indeed a lot shorter throw and notchy. In my e39 M5, I did the e60 540 sport shifter and that was a really nice mod. OEM feel, shorter more direct throw. Just depends what you want. Everything has trades.
    Do you know the total travel of the shifter, say from first to second? Mine is about 2 3/16 " . That seems mighty short to me. From pictures, I think it's a UUC short shifter.
    Last edited by zellamay; 05-08-2020 at 07:07 PM.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    Not sure how to even determine that. All I know is when I had a whalen shift know on this shifter kit, it was comically short. Much better with the UUC knob, but I'd love to get a lighted zhp, just too cheap.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    Not sure how to even determine that. All I know is when I had a whalen shift know on this shifter kit, it was comically short. Much better with the UUC knob, but I'd love to get a lighted zhp, just too cheap.
    I put mine in first, tape measure to some spot on the dash, (2-1/8 " in my case), put it in second, measure to the same spot, (4-5/16 ") subtract to get the 2-3/16 " length of travel.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Hi OP.

I'm wondering if you got the short shifter and the DSSR, and what you think about it?

Thanks!

My Cars
    Coupes...
    If you want to swap the shifter, go for it, just don't buy anything from UUC if you want quality stuff.

They haven't made anything worth owning in a very long time.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.