Thread: Self leveling suspension

My Cars
    '89 635 csi, 128 convert

Self leveling suspension

I need some help with my SLS, When I bought the 6, (1989 E-24) there was evidence of the shocks leaking (both sides), the fuse was pulled and the reservour was empty on my SLS. I found a set of shocks/springs and accumulators from a 88 M6 and installed them, (no problems), the owner told me that the previous owner had them installed 7000 miles before so they were fairly new. I also removed the pump and tank assembly and flushed the tank and cleaned the whole system, replaced the clear tubing (witch wasn't clear anymore and hard as a rock) and filled with Zentralhydraulikol # 06162, its green and what was in there was green), it seems to be running fine. Replaced the fuse and it came to life. It works great, just one problem, its either all the way up, or all the way down. I removed the (for lack of a better term) control box from under the car, (I could not remove it because of the wiring harness running into the body), I opened it and didn't really find and obvious problems, but couldn't see much.
    Here's my question (finally): Is the control box how you set the height of the suspension? Where does the wiring harness go to a connector so I can remove and check it out?
    and How do I get the rear seat out of this beast. I've seen this question asked by several people but never seen a answer, did they start with a rear seat and build a car around it? Yes, mine has the rear A/C unit in the console. Thanks in advance for all those who chime in on this subject, I plan on writing a synopsis of the endeavor when I get it working.
    Ericjump

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    I assume you mean the box with the little arm on the sway bar that sends the signal to determine the height. When my "bombs"/accumulators in each wheel well went bad, the car was either all the way up or all the way down, no in between and it would just move up or down for no reason. I removed and stored the shocks, plugged all the plumbing and left it in place and left the pump in place but drained the oil. I put in Bilstein shocks and "BMW short red springs". The height was the same and the SLS is there for anyone that wants to get it going if I sell the car.

Rear seat. You will see the carpet just below each seat has two small flaps that fold down, remove the screw behind each, pull the seat out from the top and pull towards you. Yes, only two screws hold each rear seat in place.
    Last edited by RSheiman; 05-04-2020 at 01:09 PM.
    Rob E3

My Cars
    '89 635 csi, 128 convert
    Thanks for your help, just to be clear, the SLS system seems to be functioning properly, except when I move the are on the control box it goes from full up to full down. Any tips on determing if the "Control Box" is operating properly?
    Ericjump

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9

My Cars
    87 M6
    The wiring diagram located at the link below will be helpful to you (thanks to Cjarvis). My 87 M6 SLS has been acting up lately, intermittently. I currently have the main connector to the pump etc 'jumpered' with wires and 1/4" m/f connectors. This has allowed me to stop the pump from running and open the valve to lower the car, and pump it back up again, by disconnecting/grounding the appropriate circuits. Which has been helpful for my situation (pump keeps pumping ant won't stop). I've been suspecting the levelling switch underneath the car as well, and have been wondering how to get the rear seats out too (thanks!).

I'm not sure how to test if the levelling switch is working properly. I'm trying to figure that out also.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/a...p?albumid=2148

My Cars
    '92 325IC '88 635
    If you're moving the arm full in one direction and full in the other, then it is going to go full up and down. The system works on very small movements of the arm which is how it works. The arm moves based on relative movement from increased or decreased weight. When the arm meets the new level, it stops the pump. All you're doing when you move the arm during the test is that it operates the pump valve in a particular direction. To test, move the arm a little in one direction and back to the original position and the pump should stop. Adjust the arm for the static height you would like.
    '88 635, '92 325IC

My Cars
    1988 BMW M6
    Ericjump --

Unrelated to this thread, but... You found the SLS from a 88 M6? Wondering if there are other parts available from that vehicle, or is there a contact?

Thanks