Thread: Looking at an 07 760li v12

My Cars
    2000 buick century

Looking at an 07 760li v12

I stumbled upon this car for sale locally. Listed for about 10. 77k miles in Black (I can share the link if it would be helpful for my questions.) I just stopped by the car, and was met with some luck! Kind of. I had been texting the guy about a time to see it. I asked if a certain time would be good, didn't get a response before said time (was only about an hour and a half away, most our interactions took longer than that) pulled up, nobody outside, drivers door unlocked and hood up.

Few alarming things. About all the "beauty covers" were gone(pics). If they were out being cleaned, that I don't know. It looks like there was a small spoiler on the deck lid that... Wasn't removed very carefully. On both outer edge edges there's paint popped off from removal. Radiator cap/explanation tank cap was off and had fallen slightly "down the jigger hole" as my dad used to say, and the resivoir was dry from what I could see (in pics) the canister that looks like what I'm used to being a power steering pump, was also not-quite-dry (pictures)

From my time looking into e36 m3's I know the plastic coolant tanks, radiators, and water pump need to be replaced about every 80k,I assume these are the same.

On all my other vehicles I send the oil out to a lab to get tested, I was wanting to do the same with this before buying it. I've got a suction pump I use with a tube that goes down the dipstick tube, but I couldn't even find a dipstick to check the oil.

It also looks like the driver was always covered in sandpaper. The leather on the drivers seat and side of the front armrest are just trashed.

What are other things to look for? It was last in the shop, according to the car fax, for plugs and I believe an intake manifold gasket.

What say those more experienced with these? I am a little worried about buying a v12 bimmer not knowing much of anything.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nhyrum; 04-30-2020 at 09:34 PM.

My Cars
    That looks like a very neglected car. There's a lot of pieces missing. I would run away fast!
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Yea I would run, unless you like to spend lots of money

My Cars
    2000 buick century
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Yea I would run, unless you like to spend lots of money
    I do not. Even a well maintained one of these sounds like a money hole. A fun money hole though.

The lack of fluids is really what alarms me. According to the car fax, it's been in the shop at least once since this lot has had it.

Do these not have a dipstick? Poking around, it almost looks like a dry sump?

My Cars
    2000 buick century
    Those things being said or noted, would a counter offer of 4k be terribly unfair?

My Cars
    I wouldn't give 4k for that! Maybe $1k. And that's if it runs and drives.

As it sits now, it probably needs many thousands of dollars in repairs. Maybe even need a transmission. How's the interior? All the electronics work? Logic 7 Amp fully functional? Doubtful.

There's a reason you can buy a $100k car for just a couple thousand. Remember, it may be cheap, but you're still going to pay the maintenance cost of a $100k vehicle.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2000 buick century
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    I wouldn't give 4k for that! Maybe $1k. And that's if it runs and drives.

As it sits now, it probably needs many thousands of dollars in repairs. Maybe even need a transmission. How's the interior? All the electronics work? Logic 7 Amp fully functional? Doubtful.

There's a reason you can buy a $100k car for just a couple thousand. Remember, it may be cheap, but you're still going to pay the maintenance cost of a $100k vehicle.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    I don't know if the electronics work. When I got there to look at it the guy was nowhere around, which I kinda liked. Gave me a chance to see all the crazy. So I didn't get to start it.

But yes, I am still aware it will need the original maintenance still. If this one was actually in good shape I would have been ok and prepared for that.

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    This will give you some ideas http://km5tz.com/BMW760i.htm

Someone has obviously been working on the car and either given up or not finished. Cabin air filters/intakes are missing, rear partition, weather seal, cosmetic engine covers and more. But these are all easily sourced from a junk yard (seats too) for not much money. All except the engine cover can be taken from any BMW E65. The engine compartment looks fairly clean.
    If the exterior paint/cosmetics are in very good condition id say its worth about $3500. You certainly want to hear it run and drive. The mileage is quite low and about the only thing that is somewhat appealing. If you do not plan on doing the work yourself you should walk away. It will make no sense to pay someone to fix this. If the seller has all the missing parts and a good explanation, it runs and drives well, then it is worth more. Be sure to hook up a BMW scanner and check for codes.
    Last edited by BMSman; 05-05-2020 at 12:22 AM.

My Cars
    2000 buick century
    Quote Originally Posted by BMSman View Post
    This will give you some ideas http://km5tz.com/BMW760i.htm

Someone has obviously been working on the car and either given up or not finished. Cabin air filters/intakes are missing, weather seal, cosmetic engine cover and more. But these are all easily sourced from a junk yard (seats too) for not much money. All except the engine cover can be taken from any BMW E65.
    If the exterior paint/cosmetics are in very good condition id say its worth about $3500. You certainly want to hear it run and drive. The mileage is quite low and about the only thing that is somewhat appealing. If you do not plan on doing the work yourself you should walk away. It will make no sense to pay someone to fix this.
    Half of me is betting the guy was doing a small inspection, was going to change the filters and did a quick inspection and and cleaning of the covers getting it ready for someone to look at, so I'm thinking the covers are there, just getting cleaned the fluid levels are more shaving.

I would be doing the work myself, the would be my first bimmer, just worried she needs too much. And it would be a second vehicle, so I'm not needing a reliable vehicle for daily driving, but I think I'd drive it more than my truck

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    Removing the rear engine partition is more than a small inspection. It must be removed to remove the intake manifold or inspect rear of engine/access CPS's.
    Study the link provided... There's plenty of E65 in junk yards but not the V12. Fortunately most parts are common with the V8 but some of the engine parts such as coolant hoses are quite expensive because they are only for the V12.

My Cars
    2000 buick century
    Quote Originally Posted by BMSman View Post
    Removing the rear engine partition is more than a small inspection. It must be removed to remove the intake manifold or inspect rear of engine/access CPS's.
    Study the link provided... There's plenty of E65 in junk yards but not the V12. Fortunately most parts are common with the V8 but some of the engine parts such as coolant hoses are quite expensive because they are only for the V12.
    That makes sense. Last time the car was in the shop was for an intake manifold/gasket.

After going through that article, that really made it seem a lot simpler, easier, and cheaper, to fix it right.

Some things on the list I wouldn't have worried about, like curb rash wheels, etc. I'm not going to spend too much on paint correction. I'll leave the "idiot marks" on the deck lid, for example and probably not worry about the seat/leather) I will want to get the engine bay sorted out, minus maybe the beauty covers, just want to get everything functional.

If I don't have any of the electrical problems he did, I'm thinking it might not be a bad buy.

And still. Dipsticks? Is there an engine oil dipstick somewhere? I assume the trans is a sealed unit, so no dipstick?

Last edited by nhyrum; 05-05-2020 at 02:44 AM.

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    That makes sense. Last time the car was in the shop was for an intake manifold/gasket.

After going through that article, that really made it seem a lot simpler, easier, and cheaper, to fix it right.

Some things on the list I wouldn't have worried about, like curb rash wheels, etc. I'm not going to spend too much on paint correction. I'll leave the "idiot marks" on the deck lid, for example and probably not worry about the seat/leather) I will want to get the engine bay sorted out, minus maybe the beauty covers, just want to get everything functional.

If I don't have any of the electrical problems he did, I'm thinking it might not be a bad buy.

And still. Dipsticks? Is there an engine oil dipstick somewhere? I assume the trans is a sealed unit, so no dipstick?

Yes the dipstick is visible in your pics. It’s right next to the driver side high pressure fuel pump ( towards rear of engine).