Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Help with Sound Issue. E93 335i 2008

My Cars
    E93 335i & E89 Z4

Help with Sound Issue. E93 335i 2008

Hello all,

I'm a newby to the forum, but not to BMW's.

I have no sound in my car. No Radio, No Parking sensors, No warning chimes that the seat belts are not on be, etc. Nothing!

I took the car to BMW and paid for a diagnostic of the fault with the idea I'd fix it myself.

BMW told me that everything tested OK, with the exception of the amplifier. (its a logic 7 Top HiFi)

I've looked at videos on YouTube and saw an E92 with the same amplifier and the radio didn't work, but the warning chimes were working. He changed out the Amp and his radio worked again.

Here is my confusion! His change of AMP fixed the sound with the radio, but his warning chimes were already working before he changes the amp.
    So is it the amp that has the problem or is there something else wrong?

I removed the amp, opened it up and inspected it. There is no obvious water damage or burnt out components.

The amp is Harman Kardon HiFi System Professional DSP 65129177752

I greatly appreciate you thoughts.

Craig

PS.

I forgot to mention that the iDrive display shuts down and reboots about every 20 minutes when I'm driving.

I have removed the AMP and its still rebooting the iDrive display. I would have thought that if the issue was with the AMP, then that wouldnt repeat one of the faults with the AMP removed.

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Hallam; 05-01-2020 at 04:58 AM.

My Cars
    The head unit itself is usually the culprit when it reboots. It's also possible that the head unit is the reason for no sound. So you've either got two faulty components (head unit, and amp), or just the head unit itself.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Craig,

It's infuriating for you I'm sure!

You'll need to find a known working amplifier that's the same model/revision number as yours and test by swapping it out. The new amp that guy used fixed his issue, your's seems more 'faulty' in that the chimes aren't working, so you need to test. I'd suggest also asking this in the E9x section and others may be able to confirm that the chimes are 'generated' by the amplifier or, the amplifier is needed to be working for wherever the generation for the chimes is.

For the reboot issue, the modules are interconnected so it may be that the fault in your amp, isn't sending out the 'signal' to keep the rest of the system to be switched on.

All you can do is swap and test with a known 100% working amp that's the same part number and revision number as yours. Look for other compatible modules too, on realoem.com you'll see compatible part numbers I believe. It'll be a case of finding those for sale and purchasing to test. Unless, you find someone locally who has the setup and is willing to swap with you to test.

Cheers, Dennis!