Thread: Z4 M drifts to the right. Got it aligned, still drifts. What gives?

My Cars
    '06 BMW Z4 M, '06 X5 4.4

Z4 M drifts to the right. Got it aligned, still drifts. What gives?

When I take my hands off the wheel, my '06 20k mi Z4M likes to drift to the right. I saw some uneven tire wear so I took it to a local Firestone and got it aligned. They said the rear was way off which was probably the culprit. Well, I got the car back, and it's EXACTLY the same drift to the right. I got the lifetime alignment so I can take it back, but before doing so, could there be a different problem, i.e., the differential that could be causing this? I'm super anal about this car and don't want to keep taking it into the shop if it's a problem they can't fix.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2003 Z4
    If you have run flat tires that may be the problem. I put Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's on my Z4. It was impossible to keep my car going straight and I had the harshest ride with the runflats. It was a night and day difference. I know another person that had the same issues and replaced the tires with the same results. That is where I would go next. Assuming that all the suspension components are good of course.

Sent from my S48c using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    May sound stupid, but what is your tire pressure at?
    Z3///M Roadster | GC Sleeves | TCKline 450lb (F) & 700lb (R) | Koni S/A | Porsche 996 4-Pots | CSL 345mm (F) | e38 328mm (R)

My Cars
    2003 Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeners View Post
    May sound stupid, but what is your tire pressure at?
    Another good point and an easily overlooked one! It would also be good to check the lug bolt torque. I've had shops way over-tighten them and ruin brake rotors. Perhaps the wheel is tweaked or possibly it has been replaced with one that has the wrong offset. When I got my Z4 the tires had been "rotated" even though they are staggered. You could try that and see if it changes the problem.

Sent from my S48c using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3
    Swap your wheels right to left and see how it drives. It's free to try and might give a clue of what the problem is.

My Cars
    '06 BMW Z4 M, '06 X5 4.4
    Nope the M cars have regular tires (and no spare)!

- - - Updated - - -

They said they put the 4 of them at 35, after I put them at 32. Problem persists

- - - Updated - - -

Wow yes will certainly check the lug bolts

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    With the tires in the air spin each one by hand. You may find one of the brake calipers not returning completely and dragging a slight amount.

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '16 Golf R
    35 psi is way high. ~30 on the street is where they should be. But it's not sounding like tire pressure is the problem. Perhaps some bent/tweaked steering or suspension component(s)?
    '08 Z4 M Coupé LM08602
    '19 Golf R

My Cars
    2008 M Roadster
    Cars will pull towards negative castor or positive camber. Toe will not make a car pull directly. It will if your front tires have excessive toe wear - then it’s anyone’s guess. Usually, it only can start to be an issue if there is more than 1/2 a degree difference side to side.

However, on this car that is not the cause. Alignment looks fairly normal for these cars - you have a tire pull most likely. If it’s an M - you’ll need at least new front tires (assuming they are directional). If not, you can swap the front tires & that usually will resolve it.