Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Conundrum - Tires

My Cars
    2015 750xi M-Sport

Conundrum - Tires

Hello forum!... I know this question has been posed a number of times but things change in time (obviously mask mask). I own a 2015 BMW 750 xi M-Sport. Bought it used for 1/4 of the retail a few years ago. Has Goodyear LS2 run flats in a 245/45-19 size on non staggered wheels. Wife called last weekend while driving and said one of the tires showed 5lbs of air. She stopped at a local station and said air just kept going in but could here it coming out just as fast. Drove to meet her (good hubby) and saw the tread had looked like it separated from the sidewall. Found a local shop that had the exact tire so replaced it ($380!!!)(others have about 1/2 tread left). Asked the shop to replace the other front tire but they stripped the head off the lug bolt. Upon returning home started thinking about what to do. Looked at different option. Staying with run flats but upgrade to the Michelin MXM4's, or get away altogether from run flats. I see the Conti pure contact LS or the one Tire rack rated the highest in a test (Vredestein Quatrac pro). I understand going non run flats gives one better ride, handling, treadwear, cost etc. Are these true statements? Any recommondations? How do you deal with a spare? Any source for a simple steel or replacement rim to keep in the garage or throw in the trunk on a longer trip? Anyone interested in a Goodyear LS2 with about 5 miles on them? Thank for all your help.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    My car is a 2018 M240i and has no spare. It runs Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I carry a plug kit to fix a puncture. Because all the original tires have been replaced (I track the car) Michelin will pay for a tow up to 150 miles. Now, I’m not sure if other Michelin tires are covered. But check with the company.

Who is the car’s principle driver? How risk averse are you and your wife?

Did you get the lug bolt out? The lug bolts need to be torqued to a specific number. See if your owners manual has that torque spec. If not, go to www.newtis.info and enter the last 7 characters of the car’s VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. You’ll have to dig a bit but the spec is there. Btw, this is BMW’s official technical information system. I bring my torque wrench, pre-set to the spec (105 ft-lbs), when I’m having tire work done on the car.

My Cars
    2015 750xi M-Sport

Thanks for your help. Any other ideas?

Thanks Marco. Didn't get notified about your reply. My wife is the primary driver and tends to be on the "spirited" side. I think she is okay with going non-run flats. We don't do that many road trips except to the beach house (100 miles each way) so I'll put the Goodyear on a spare rim and have that handy just in case. I see the ratings of the tires that fit. I do like Michelin's. Got 110,000 miles with them on my Suburban. According to Tire rack, the top 3 were the Vredestein, Conti's and Michelins. In that order. One thing she is wary of is stopping in wet weather since it's such a heavy car. I am curious about the Vredesteins though. Thanks for your reply!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Not a problem. Tirerack should have comments from buyers of each of these tires. Lots of good, if anecdotal, information. My wife’s Honda has Vredestein tires. I bought them from Tirerack and installed them at the local military base (I’m retired Navy). They vastly improved the handling of the Honda appliance, er Accord.

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    We would have a full size spare if you decide to go that way. All the things you mention about going to non run flat tires are correct. You have to ask yourself if you are OK with her sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.
    If I can help let me know.

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack