Thread: Radio Issues

My Cars
    1995 Dinan 740il

Radio Issues

I have a 1995 with DPS (stock, no nav). My radio stopped making any sound except for an occasional crackle. I looked at some suggestions and tests. Here is what I can report:

• CD - Tried a CD - no sound (although I never use the CD so it may have died it's own death). It did load the magazine OK.
    • Cassette - Can't find one to try.
    • Radio and MID - have power, LEDs and presets all on, switches work and calls up the weather band, etc. (just no sound)
    • Cassette - noticed all the lights were out. I pushed buttons randomly and the lights came on, sound came on, then after a few seconds the lights went out and the sound stopped. This is repeatable. And the sound is normal quality/level.
    • The LEDs for SB and LD dimmed before they went out and the sound went off.
    • Seek/Scan works on AM/FM

I noticed the radio was on more today and that if it went out, pressing a preset didn't turn the sound back BUT pressing seek to the next preset (and back) did bring the sound back for 10-15 seconds.

I'm guessing it's a bad cassette unit and not a bad amp, what do you all think?

Also looking at replacements on eBay, some are marked as "BMW Business" Would one of those work as a replacement?

Thanks, Grady
    Last edited by Grady in Texas; 04-28-2020 at 05:48 PM.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    It would help to know if the CD player actually worked or not as it does not loop thru the head unit for sound. So if you have sound on the CD but no radio, the head unit is usually bad. If no sound from radio or CD player, it's usually a dying amp.

My Cars
    1995 Dinan 740il
    Thanks, I'll try playing with it some more in the morning.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    I'd say it's time to buy a CD43 radio.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    1995 Dinan 740il
    I found a cassette and the cassette works fine, sound is good
    The CD player appears to be playing OK (as indicated by the the screen showing the player going trough the tracks), but absolutely no sound.

My Cars
    1995 Dinan 740il
    The problem is I never use the CD player (I really don't think I ever have before this), so I don't know if the CD player was making noise before this.

And now everything is working normally again (except for the CD). So maybe I can punt this until something fails.

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    I have a C43 out of my '01 that was working before I removed it for a BM53. If you're interested in it, shoot me a PM, otherwise just get the harness and upgrade to the newer unit. Ive read that the radio out of the 2006 X3 (possibly 330 also) is a nice upgrade to the system as well with better reliability .. dont know for sure yet since I already did my upgrade. Worth some research for you if you're interested.

Stancing is for drivers trapped in an abusive relationship of their own lives.

My Cars
    1995 Dinan 740il
    Just to finish this thread - I replaced the amp with a junk yard amp and the audio now works, even the CD player. Thanks for the help! Grady
    Last edited by Grady in Texas; 11-10-2020 at 12:37 PM.

My Cars
    1995 Dinan 740il
    Not so fast, Grady... I replaced the amp with a junk yard amp. Now the radio, cassette and CD play all work - for about 10 seconds and then cut off. The radio is still powered but no sound. If I turn the radio off for a minute or so, it comes on for another 10 seconds and cuts off. Ideas?

My Cars
    E21,E38,E39,F10 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Grady in Texas View Post
    Not so fast, Grady... I replaced the amp with a junk yard amp. Now the radio, cassette and CD play all work - for about 10 seconds and then cut off. The radio is still powered but no sound. If I turn the radio off for a minute or so, it comes on for another 10 seconds and cuts off. Ideas?
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ter-30-seconds

Old thread but describes same issue, different replies from fried amp to speakers shorting to bad nav computer... could be a few things.

Sounds like its going into some sort of protection mode which tells me there is a short or something overheating. Are you using factory speakers all around? Monsoons in the rear?

Stancing is for drivers trapped in an abusive relationship of their own lives.

My Cars
    1995 Dinan 740il
    Thanks for finding that thread. Factory speakers and no Nav. I'll try the DPS button press. I think the car I pulled the amp from had a Nav so that could be it.

My Cars
    1995 Dinan 740il
    I tried the DPS button and the DPS screen did not go blank when pressed (when the radio work and when it cut out).