Thread: Bmw f01 maintenance help

My Cars
    2013 BMW 328i Xdrive n20

Bmw f01 maintenance help

Hello everyone, I'm looking to purchase a 2010 BMW 750 LI XDrive with 100k miles. Knowing Bmws its not for everyone if you don't put some time and money in these cars they wont last long. Considering that these F01s are 8 cylinder twin turbos it might need more tlc than other bmws. Does anyone know how long these engines can go for any tips on maintenance to give the engine a long healthy life and if there are any common issues with these cars I can look out for before it happens thanks in advance!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Engines with a turbo, or 2 turbos in your case, need extra TLC. That comes in the form of more frequent oil and filter changes. Btw, I own a 2018 M240i which has the B58 turbocharged engine. I change the oil and filter every 5000 miles. I buy oil that carries the American Petroleum Institute (API) rating of “SN.” “S” stands for “spark” as in gas powered cars. The “N” mean the oil has been specially formulated for engines with a turbo (or 2). Why? The turbos are lubricated and cooled by the engine oil. That means the oil is doing double duty. Buy only a filter made by Mann. It’s the supplier to BMW.

Your car has the ZF automatic transmission. It needs to be serviced (fluid and filter) every 50k miles. At 100k miles I’d have the transmission fluid exchanged? Huh? A basic fluid drain/filter replacement/fluid refill changes about half of the fluid. A fluid exchange (NOT a flush) literally exchanges all of the fluid via the transmission fluid cooling hoses. The shop has to use a machine designed to do this.

Many parts in a BMW cooling systems are made of plastic, good German plastic, but plastic nonetheless. Plastic ages in 2 ways. First is time, naturally. The second is the infinite number of heating and cooling cycles. The consensus here and on other bimmer forums is that the cooling system needs to be overhauled at 100k miles. The installation of aftermarket cooling system parts is strictly verboten. The only cooling system parts you want to install or have installed are parts made by the suppliers of this parts to BMW. You’re likely thinking, “How do I know which company supplied which part to BMW.” Answer: go to the FCPEuro website. Enter your car’s information (make, model, year) and then search for cooling system parts. The website will typically show you 4 different parts:
    - BMW branded ($$$$)
    - parts made by the supplier of the parts to BMW (original equipment (OE)) ($$$)*
    - parts made by a supplier to BMW but the supplier doesn’t make this particular part (original equipment manufacturer (OEM) ($$)
    - aftermarket ($)

* The part is made on the same production line as the branded part. It merely lacks the BMW branding. Buy these parts.

I don’t know your wrenching skills so I’m suggesting you go to www.bimrs.org to find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers in your area. Also check the website of the local chapter of the BMW Car Club of America. Google “BMW CCA #####“ where “#####” is your zip code. If no recommendations show up email several of the chapter’s officers. Their email addresses will be list.
    Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 04-28-2020 at 08:23 AM.

My Cars
    You're either a glutton for punishment, or have deep pockets that you're willing to reach into, to be considering buying a ten year old, 100k mile, Xdrive 750.

I hope you're getting a good deal. I wouldn't touch that car with a ten foot pole.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Yea they don't have a good track record I love the oil leak at the bottom of the v under the turbos that leaks oil, a 10.00 part with huge amount of labor to get to it. Then the most important question is what kind of car are you coming from. If it was very reliable and did not require many repairs, the the BMW is not the car for you.