Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: e36 speaker problem

My Cars
    Bmw 323 wagon e36 (1999)

e36 speaker problem

hello i bought my e36 about a month ago, im loving the car but it has one major issue. For some reason the speakers start playing worse and worse and eventually start popping and stop playing. Then if you turn the car of for a while and let it sit when you turn the car back on they are fine again and then after a while same thing again. Any help would be gratefully appreciated

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    It sounds like the amplifier is overheating. As the car was built for Europe the amplifier is most likely in the head unit in the dash. Is the head unit a factory or aftermarket head unit?

My Cars
    Bmw 323 wagon e36 (1999)
    the car is imported from germany, the previous owner has installed an android screen in it which gets really really hot after a while, there is a lot of loose wiring aswell im wondering if that could be the problem? thx for the help

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    No problem. It sounds like the android unit is at fault and maybe not the amp. Pull the vertical carpet on the left side of the trunk and take the car for a drive. When the system starts acting badly check the temperature of the amp using the back of your hand. Now, there’s almost no ventilation in that area when the vertical carpet is in place so the amp will get pretty warm anyway. Electrical/electronic hack jobs are a real pain to troubleshoot.

My Cars
    Bmw 323 wagon e36 (1999)
    sorry i dont quite understand what do you mean by vertical carpet?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Sorry! Remove the left trunk liner. Ooops! You have a touring. Does the car have a separate amplifier? If it does, where is it located?

Go to www.newtis.info and enter the last 7 characters of your car’s vehicle identification number. Hit enter and bookmark the page. You’ll find the wiring diagrams for your car there. This is the official BMW technical information website.

My Cars
    Bmw 323 wagon e36 (1999)
    Thank you for the help, i have had alot to do and haven’t had time to work on the car. I think i discovered what the problem is. Behind the atereo there was tinfoil, i removed it to see why and noticed one big hole behind the stereo in the plastic and another one below. From these two holes a bunch of hot air is blowing out and the more air you have the ac blowing out the more hot air is coming from the two holes. I know there is not supposed to be holes there but im not aure if hot air is supposed to be coming out of there either, do you know?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    No! It sounds like whoever installed the android unit cut some holes in the duct to make room for it. Definitely a no no! Can you still fit the android unit if the holes are covered with duct tape or silver duct sealing tape?