Thread: Transmission malfunction

My Cars
    2008 BMW 528i

Transmission malfunction

So due covid19 my 2008 528i hasn’t been driven for a couple of weeks now. I decided to take for a spin today and while I was at the drive tru getting my food, I wouldn’t get out of park. Turned off the car and all kinds of light on my dash and monitor turns on when I tried to restart it. I might have seen battery also but it went away. I was able to put it on drive but as I move it slowly it automatically throws it back on park. At this time I’m seeing transmission malfunction sign. Window won’t roll down and my screen goes dark.

So I finally got out of the drive tru line slowly and parked the car. Every time I turn off the car it seems like I can switch gears. So I tried reverse and the same thing. It moves for few seconds and throws it back on park. I notice that when my monitor doesn’t go away the car will continue to move. I’m going really slow because I’m afraid it will automatically throw it back to park and do further damage.

I decided to get it towed home and put battery on charge to see if that’s the problem. I’m hoping it is. I also noticed that oil level is very low so I added some oil. I guess I’ll find out tomorrow after charging the battery and adding oil I guess. What do you guys think? Any input would help. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Definetly get the battery fully charge, these cars need a good condition battery, then check for faults

My Cars
    2010 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Definetly get the battery fully charge, these cars need a good condition battery, then check for faults

After you charged the battery is the transmission still acting up and defaulting to Park?

My Cars
    '00 Z3, '08 535i
    Mine has been doing this a lot lately. It says “prevent vehicle from rolling”. I think it’s doing this when the vehicle rolls in the opposite direction of what gear you’re in. I park in my driveway but when I reverse park and I hit the dip where the gutter is, I don’t gas through it, I slow through and the car throws it in park because I start to roll forward when reversing. Same happens vice versa in drive. It’s a trans protective measure.

I drive a 2008 535i with battery drain faults so a new 250$ battery might be in my future...