Thread: Key Fob Central Locking Issue ?

My Cars
    318ti

Key Fob Central Locking Issue ?

I have a strange and slight issue with my central locking. 318ti 2004.

The drivers door opens fine with the key in the door but not with the the button. The passenger side unlocks with the button. Also when locking the car, both doors lock with the button but it’s just the drivers side that won’t open using it all of a sudden.

Before today it used to be the other way round but I could press it again to open the passenger door. But now it won’t open the driver side. I’m sure I can hear the usual nose like it’s trying to open.

So it locks fine but just doesn’t open.

Also now when inside the car and I press the auto locking button in the centre console, it opens the passenger door but not the drivers.

Again before this would open both doors.

Very strange and would appreciate any advice.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

To test a theory, while the driver's door is locked, can you double pull the inner handle to unlock/open the door? Want to see if the mechanical bits are working here, for you maybe looking at a motor failure.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!

To test a theory, while the driver's door is locked, can you double pull the inner handle to unlock/open the door? Want to see if the mechanical bits are working here, for you maybe looking at a motor failure.
    Thanks!

Do you mean get in the car and press the central locking button to actually lock the car and then try open from inside?

Inside the car, I tried with the door pin down, I have to bring the handle towards me to pop it up and then bring handle towards me again to open door.

The central locking button on key locks the drivers door but doesn’t open it. So I can’t imagine the motor is broken?

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    It seems that the mechanicals are working properly. The double pull on the latch is to ensure if the battery is dead, you can still get the door open from the inside.

Next step will be to pull the door card off and have a look to see if the wiring is good. You can also test the electronics by using INPA. This way you can command it to lock/unlock just the drivers door only. With INPA you can see if there are any codes in the GM-5 aka body module.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    318ti
    It seems that the mechanicals are working properly. The double pull on the latch is to ensure if the battery is dead, you can still get the door open from the inside.

Next step will be to pull the door card off and have a look to see if the wiring is good. You can also test the electronics by using INPA. This way you can command it to lock/unlock just the drivers door only. With INPA you can see if there are any codes in the GM-5 aka body module.
    Thanks.

What is an INPA ?

So if I take the door card off, then what? What should I look for?

Yes it locks fine with the fob and the key in the door, just doesn’t open with fob.

Thanks

My Cars
    318ti
    A guy on eBay said he could programme the gm-5 module itself and would resolve this problem?

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    INPA is a free software program that does diagnostics on BMW's. It requires special leads, which are cheap. Load it onto a laptop and for you go. Its available from various places on the internet. Here is one https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...xperimentation

With INPA you can activate the central locking for testing purposes. You can also see all the related sensors like door closed, locked and unlocked etc. This is very helpful as you can see if you have a faulty door closed sensor or lock solenoid etc.

Do the diagnostics on the door properly before thinking about replacing/recoding the GM5.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz258 View Post
    INPA is a free software program that does diagnostics on BMW's. It requires special leads, which are cheap. Load it onto a laptop and for you go. Its available from various places on the internet. Here is one https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...xperimentation

With INPA you can activate the central locking for testing purposes. You can also see all the related sensors like door closed, locked and unlocked etc. This is very helpful as you can see if you have a faulty door closed sensor or lock solenoid etc.

Do the diagnostics on the door properly before thinking about replacing/recoding the GM5.
    Oh right, sounds cool and very useful. Didn’t even know this was possible.

Thank you for your help.

Just confused because mechanically it must be working and electrically, because the fob locks the door just doesn’t work when opening. The key in the door works to lock and open too.

Would this also diagnose why my third brake light isn’t working even though I know the led light itself is fine and I’ve replaced it with another one but still not working.
    Last edited by Sde318ti; 07-02-2020 at 06:54 PM.

My Cars
    318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz258 View Post

Is this the lead I need?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163390264070

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Yes that is the lead.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    INPA's main purpose to read the codes in each ECU's on the car, and it can also perform special functions like commanding the lock/unlock function. Spend some time on YouTube and watch how other use it, for it is IMO as simple as it gets when it comes to codes readers.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    318ti
    INPA's main purpose to read the codes in each ECU's on the car, and it can also perform special functions like commanding the lock/unlock function. Spend some time on YouTube and watch how other use it, for it is IMO as simple as it gets when it comes to codes readers.
    I’ve checked and those on eBay say this won’t work with an E46.

Any idea where I can buy an E46 one?

Thanks

My Cars
    318ti
    Would this work?

https://ljmcardiagnostics.co.uk/prod...EaAi4MEALw_wcB

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I cannot see the link, but yes, I have read my own E-46's, plus everything inbetween using INPA. Any BMW produced between 1988 to 2008 can commincate with INPA, you just need to the right cables, drivers, ect. What you do need to get is a "switched" OBD-II cable, for #7 & #8 on the head has to be jumped on a USB type connector for the E-46's. I use a Serial port style for everything E-90 and older, which works great, a bit slow as I am using a slower connection, but doable.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    318ti
    I cannot see the link, but yes, I have read my own E-46's, plus everything inbetween using INPA. Any BMW produced between 1988 to 2008 can commincate with INPA, you just need to the right cables, drivers, ect. What you do need to get is a "switched" OBD-II cable, for #7 & #8 on the head has to be jumped on a USB type connector for the E-46's. I use a Serial port style for everything E-90 and older, which works great, a bit slow as I am using a slower connection, but doable.
    Thanks.
    Well the ones on eBay the seller replied and said doesn’t work for e46 but says models 1998-2007 or something.
    So I’m a bit confused.

Would you be able to recommend me one for E46 2004 model?

Much appreciated

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    This is the cable you need: LINK

INPA will work on Win-10 just fine, and Window-7 of course.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    318ti
    This is the cable you need: LINK

INPA will work on Win-10 just fine, and Window-7 of course.

Brill. I’ll get one ordered. Appreciate it.

The computer programme is on the cd I presume ?

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    It should come on a CD, but if not, there are plenty of places on the internet to download for free. You can look in the diagnostic software sub-forum as well for INPA.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    318ti
    It should come on a CD, but if not, there are plenty of places on the internet to download for free. You can look in the diagnostic software sub-forum as well for INPA.
    Downloaded the software and managed to connect to the car with the lead no problem.
    Thanks.

However, any idea where or what section the central locking or locking system comes under? I cannot seem to find.

I also have a problem the error codes come out in Dutch not English.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Is your car LH drive? Also during the install, did you check all the English boxes for language?

Sometimes these cars get programmed in odd languages, for mine is programmed in German, but it is American Spec car. Good thing I can read a bit of German, but there is always google translate.

You will find the Central locking functions under the Body Module or GM-5.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member