Thread: mild turbo build parts search is tough!

My Cars
    1981 320i

mild turbo build parts search is tough!

As the title implies, I am putting together parts for a low boost, non-intercooler turbo build----under 8psi boost. Kind of like the early aftermarket Century set ups.

From the FAQ (thank you JRCOOK !), the following are pretty damn important, but I can't find 2 or 3 online:

1) Wide Band O2 meter

2) Volvo 240 turbo or Audi 5000s WUR

3) Volvo 240 turbo ignition canister

Any help on locating them would be appreciated.

Bill

My Cars
    83 320is + Jeep
    Hey Bill, how's this build coming along? I saw a volvo WUR on ebay this week.

(First post) I finally sourced a century turbo kit-- I + E manifolds, 2 rayjay turbos (1 ceased), a downpipe (looks terribly inefficient), and the original piping.

I'm going to go your route, and use the volvo for fear of leaning out.

My Cars
    1981 320i
    I haven’t been on here in a while, been driving instead. E21s handle well, stop okay, but need more acceleration. I am working with my local mechanic to put in the low psi turbo setup, otherwise it will be 3 years before it happens! Will update.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 535iS
    I have a Century/BAE polished intake manifold, Rajay turbo, downpipe, and some of the other pieces of the kit.
    shermanmartinez at hotmail dot com

My Cars
    1981 320i
    Update: I took a chance on an EBay exhaust manifold for a T3 turbo ($175), and a turbo from MTR in Texas with an 8psi wastegate ($145). Some silicone and stainless pipe for the intake, using my existing K&N cone filter. For the exhaust, I did a quick and dirty chop and weld job with a friend just to get it hooked up and running. Running a 2.25” initial pipe stepping down to the factory 1.75” pipe before the cat. As I live in a free state, the cat now is now only an air filled converter.....but I will have the exhaust shop instal a hiflow cat when I get the exhaust built—-because it smells bad, mostly.

I have run it; it is faster than before. Turbo kicks in at about 3200, but tends to cut out at 5500. Definitely way more driveable in regular situations. And now for the bad news: the radiator blew out while I was testing the turbo setup (I think this was coincidental, as I was not seeing temps running hot at all, and I had noticed it weeping somewhat), and before I knew enough to get it shut down, the engine overheated to the point that it blew the headgasket.

Now the good news: last years headgasket replacement was done well, according to Blackstone Labs. I had sent them an oil sample from when I changed the oil for the turbo build, to get a baseline after running it for 2000 miles this summer. They said there was no indication that there was coolant or anything else in the oil. I can definitely say there WAS coolant in the oil after the headgasket blew!——when I drained the oil today it looked like pea soup or chocolate milk, take your pick. Why is this good news? Because it confirmed my headgasket job was okay, and I knew how to do it.

So, head off today. Way faster than last time! Nice steam clean job on cylinder number 4, the others were not compromised. 3 looks very good, but 2 and 1 have some coking on the top of the combustion chambers and the faces of the valves.

As I am waiting for a new radiator (ordered from chrracing.com; 2 row, all metal, $195 plus shipping——will provide an update on this source), I may either get the parts to rebuild the head, or just swap it for one that has been rebuilt already. This might be slightly more cost effective in the long run, but provide less opportunity to learn more about my car and do the work myself.DBB90D2B-D73E-4956-AC97-3343AA8B0E93.jpg00D28C1D-33F9-4AA2-A351-361EAA9495D0.jpeg
    9B8AB885-20F3-4E0F-AFCB-0821478EFAE0.jpeg

More on this as time allows.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1981 320i silver
    Good pics

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    I would look for a more modern turbo. So many cars come turbo charged now and have more efficient turbos. Also I hate to say it but ive seen far to many Chinese ebay turbos make a lot of power and they do last. But I do prefer Garrett GT series or a Borg Warner EFR.

My Cars
    1981 320i
    I hear you, it was more a matter of what exhaust manifold was available and what turbo fit on it—- going the low boost way simplifies the fuel supply issues, and with perhaps an inter cooler (the small one for a Renault R5 comes to mind), it will provide an increased level of fun without too much complication.