Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: M70B54 build

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Chris! Awesome job, didn't know you are in the middle of the swap!
    How is the new engine running?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    91 850
    Hi Ed. Unfortunately, the swap was a slow and long process. I had it done at relative's shop in southern California so that added a bit of delay due to time constraint. Everything is all button up and ready except my BMW coolant and Pentosin fluid were misplaced so I couldn't do the fluid refill and fire up the engine to test. A cousin will do that for me once the shipment comes in (he's a US Marine aircraft mechanic as well as a certified Mercedes tech so I trust him).

The car was also prepped for a paint job. I sanded down the entire car and to be very honest here, the car unpainted still look so much better than when it had the original paint on...LOL. Apologies to the OP for derailing your thread a little bit.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFuture8 View Post
    @ OP

I just had my engine installed back into the car this past weekend. Decided to go all stock, no modifications, no hybrids...just keeping it simple with a replacement M70 motor and new seals/gaskets everywhere. I took the opportunity to have these components rebuilt or replaced knowing that they will eventually fail and will cause me lots of pain and agony depending how difficult it is to access them:

1: Starter
    2: Alternator
    3: A/C compressor

Love your project, progress, and sharing on here.
    Chris - I’m with you on replacing ancillaries while the engine is out. I have a reconditioned starter to fit, ASC+T pump, and PS box.

I would be driving this car now if I hadn’t had a change of heart and decided to pull the motor.

Had been aiming to get a leak down test done on the M73 this evening, but one of my air hose fittings is being difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed

M70B54 build

Oil pans and oil pump removed from the M73.

I notice that the timing system is different. There is no wheel for the chain on the passenger side guide near to the tensioner.

Next up would have been replacement of the rear main seal, and seal plate gasket, however, I had ordered the gasket for the M70 plate and not the M73. The plates have a different bolt pattern as can be seen here, (M70 on top) with a different gasket:

This upsets my plans, as I don’t want to remove the heads until the rear of the motor has been taken care of, as I don’t have a way of lifting it off the stand with the heads removed.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    Without a rear main seal cover gasket, I moved onto the first of the heads. Whether or not I can source cams, the plan is to replace rockers, lifters, and thrust adaptors, along with valve stem seals.

I used an OTC C clamp style valve spring compressor, and a telescopic magnet to fish out the valve keepers. Some force was required to compress the springs.

And then pulled out the brittle and crusty valve stem seals with a pit of valve spring pliers. I can’t imagine doing this job with the engine in the car - hats of to those who have done it!

This left me with a kitchen counter covered with valve train components. I need to decide how I’m going to clean the valves, and the bare head.

Also, at this point should I measure the valve guide clearances, and if out of tolerance send the head to a machine shop for new guides, or just hand lap the valves/seats, and reassemble? The heads have 150k miles.

Some cleaning required..

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    A bit of an aside but still relevant to the thread - With the heads off, is there anything that can be done (by the DIYer or pro) to improve the velocity or efficiency of the exhaust ports?
    I realize it’s been talked to death, but I’m hoping that someone has tried some mod, that might have shown some potential for improvement.

It too bad someone didn’t make a exh port tongue plate for the m70/73, like they did for the Ford V8’s back in the day, to improve the flow. Something like that would be ideal to help circumvent the crappy 90deg exh port floor.

My Cars
    850CI740Lsezd750L95sezd
    5.0L M70 like 280Hp. 5.4L M73 more than 350Hp so I'm guessing M70B54 will fall somewhere in the middle.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    Quote Originally Posted by CD05001CIA View Post
    5.0L M70 like 280Hp. 5.4L M73 more than 350Hp so I'm guessing M70B54 will fall somewhere in the middle.
    I should be making more than M73 power even with stock cams, if I install my Wokke v2 chips.

M73 is 326bhp

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    I'm getting close to bolting this motor back together again.
    Cleaning is almost complete, new Belmetric fasteners are in, torque specs have been located.
    I have a question over which, if any, gasket sealer I should use:

For intake gaskets, I plan to use Reinzosil again, and also on the valley gasket.

I am not sure what to use for the various paper gaskets, e.g. timing cover gaskets, and the rear main seal cover.
    Reinzosil, some version of Permatex, or dry?

Finally, do the upper and lower oil pan gaskets need anything different?

(I have the Elring top end set, and BMW OEM gaskets for everything else.)

If anyone has any input, it would be appreciated.

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850

Upper and Lower Pan Gaskets

For my Upper and Lower Pan Gaskets I used a Oil Resitant Permatex Black on the gasket which is similiar to Reinzosil, no leaks two years

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Black Reinzosil on absolutely everything

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    Thanks to you both - I have a tube and a half of Reinzosil on hand, so will use that on every gasket, with Permatex Black if I get caught short.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    I took the oil pump apart, to check for any crud buildup, cleaned the minimal amount I saw, and reassembled.

This is the cheapest bench grinder and wire wheel available on Amazon. I’m not sure how long it will last, but it’s worked wonders at knocking the crud from my valves.

Exhaust valves were the worst - on the left is 150k of crap, on the right after 90seconds on the wire wheel.

I will lap them when reinstalling into the head.

The combustion chamber cleaning on the other hand doesn’t have any handy short cuts. Brake clean and a wire brush, with some elbow grease to freshen them up somewhat. I’ve got a few more hours of work to get the heads cleaned up completely.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    replace at least the exhaust valve guides while you are at it...

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonz View Post
    replace at least the exhaust valve guides while you are at it...
    Will do - I’ve now ordered guides, hopefully the local machine shop’s rates are reasonable.

Canyon brand seem to be the only ones out there right now.

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...6-1efb8e60ffab

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    Progress is slow, but steady. Installed rear main seal and cover, and remounted motor to the stand.

This gave me a chance to strip the timing chain covers off for cleaning, and remove the heads.

I won’t be touching the bottom end. The price I paid for the whole engine is less than the cost to renew the bearings.

Any suggestions if or what I should clean the piston tops with?

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by petejk View Post

Any suggestions if or what I should clean the piston tops with?
    CRC Gasket Remover. <stuff is amazing

Also, BEFORE you go scraping / cleaning / anything on the decks, be sure to seal off the oil FEED hole in the deck surface too... that is the one you really want to keep stuff out of -- the ones you have plugged with towels right now just drain into the pan (they can be easily flushed prior to assembly)... the feed holes, not so much. Be damned sure to UNplug them before you stick the heads on though

Also, get yourself a "thread chaser" M10 tap & clean out all the head bolt holes. Personally, I chase every threaded hole in the block, but you really need to at least clean the head bolt threads
    Last edited by cartoonz; 07-06-2020 at 09:46 PM.
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonz View Post
    CRC Gasket Remover. <stuff is amazing

Also, BEFORE you go scraping / cleaning / anything on the decks, be sure to seal off the oil FEED hole in the deck surface too... that is the one you really want to keep stuff out of -- the ones you have plugged with towels right now just drain into the pan (they can be easily flushed prior to assembly)... the feed holes, not so much. Be damned sure to UNplug them before you stick the heads on though

Also, get yourself a "thread chaser" M10 tap & clean out all the head bolt holes. Personally, I chase every threaded hole in the block, but you really need to at least clean the head bolt threads
    Plug oil feed hole - check.

I ordered an ARP M10x1.25 thread chaser at the weekend. I’ve read brake clean then a blow out with compressed air is good for the head bolt holes too.

Ive already had a go at removing the old valley cover gasket with the CRC remover. It burns the hands just like paint stripper! If it works on the pistons that sounds good too.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    brake cleaner & air don't do what a thread chaser tap will, BUT...
    Before you go chasing the holes with the tap, tape off all the cylinders so debris / metal filings cannot get in there... I just use painter's tape and go the entire length of the deck, with some short pieces on the outer edges between holes. Covers EVERYTHING except the head bolt holes. This is critical - for obvious reasons.
    The tap WILL make some metal shavings... not much, but it will.
    I took a large plastic McDonald's straw and taped it into the nozzle of a shop-vac - run that bad boy in/out the hole after the tap and you are good (you can add brake cleaner and suck that out too). You will be shocked at all the crap that comes out.
    Do be sure that no debris /oil /other liquid is left in the hole when you clamp the heads on, or you may learn the hard way the power of hydraulic pressure

...and use gloves with that CRC stuff... I lost an entire layer of skin a few days after doing the pistons
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    I have concerns about the machine shop that has my heads. They haven’t started work yet, but have suggested milling the heads by 12-20 thousandths, which sounds like a lot. Also, they didn’t seem too enthusiastic about installing the oversized valve guides that I’d purchased - these seem to be the only ones available for the M70.

Does anyone have experiences with getting these heads refreshed?

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by petejk View Post
    I have concerns about the machine shop that has my heads. They haven’t started work yet, but have suggested milling the heads by 12-20 thousandths, which sounds like a lot. Also, they didn’t seem too enthusiastic about installing the oversized valve guides that I’d purchased - these seem to be the only ones available for the M70.

Does anyone have experiences with getting these heads refreshed?

Seems to be about the same amount that was milled from my heads, about 12 I think.
    The oversized guides?? I had standard size installed.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    "oversized" guides? huh?
    ..and 12 to 20 thousanths is fine... they do have to be flat
    Last edited by cartoonz; 07-14-2020 at 01:19 AM.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    Thanks for replies - the Canyon guides are listed as 12.7mm OD by ECS, and 12.56mm OD by RM European, who I purchased them from. I’ll ask the shop to check.

As for the milling amount, I was worried about the minimum head height, so I’m relieved to hear that it sounds reasonable.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed

M70B54 build

Collected heads and flywheel from the machine shop this afternoon. Heads skimmed by 7 thousandths, cleaned, and Canyon valve guides installed, and valve job.

They definitely won’t look this clean again. I could have saved time if I had taken the machinist up on his offer to reinstall the valves, seals, springs etc, but I wanted to do reassembly myself.

I’m sure there’s a tool for valve stem seal reinstallation, but a 1/4inch 11mm deep socket seems to work too.

Flywheel resurfaced - will be mated up to a Spec clutch. These are either getting expensive, or unavailable, so a successful resurfacing is a relief.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast