Thread: Ignition Problems, Advice Appreciated!

My Cars
    '02 325iT, '83 320i

Ignition Problems, Advice Appreciated!

So, basically for as long as I’ve had the car the ignition tumbler assembly hasn’t functioned and I assumed it to bea mechanical issue. It would turn through all the stages, enabling the electronics (fuel pump, radio, lights, etc.) but the final “turn” where the starter turns on and the engine cranks yielded nothing - not even the typical resistance one feels when turning the key to turn the engine on (ya know, that “springy” type of feeling it feels like you’re turning against). After dismounting the assembly from the steering column and taking it apart, I removed the electrical switch off the back end and I tried cleaning/reassembling, no change. Ordered new electrical switch, plugged it in by itself and turned the switch with a screwdriver: again, all electronics work as they should but the starter doesn’t move. I can hear a click, as if from a relay, when turning the switch to the final position but that is it. However, it does feel like that “springy” resistance is there a bit more. I should also mention that the starter turns over just fine when bypassing the terminals with a switch, so I know the starter itself is not the culprit.

Given the evidence, it seems that the issue lies with the ignition in some capacity. I’m not aware of any relays that are involved aside from the starter relay and I’m unsure if the starter working, under the means I’ve employed, would discount that as a possible issue.

Any help is appreciated immensely.

Thank you in advance.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Please save a copy of the '81-83 wire diagram...

http://findmymerchant.com/images/ele..._1981-1983.pdf
    Tbd

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Wire No 50- Black Insulation Color should be checked and is connected to the correct male spade terminal on the starter-there is one for the start solenoid and another for a power resistor which 1980-83 models do not use if Wire No 50 is connected to the wrong starter spade terminal the starter will not engage start the car up. Disconnect it at the starter- pull it off, its a female spade terminal connect a voltage meter to it and provide power to Voltage meter, then turn the key to start position, 12 volts should be showing when the key is in the start position, this will show whether the connection from the ignition switch to the start solenoid is good. The ignition switch wires are connected to a spade terminal block for the starter, ect. under the kick board.

Hi Robert,Whats Cooking ? , are the freeways in your neck of the woods almost empty like here ?

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 04-17-2020 at 09:49 AM.

My Cars
    88 325iC,'11ML350,'84RX7
    I just had this exact issue come up. I actually thought it was a relay too since I didnt hear the pumps run in position 2. (Shout out to Layne who assured me that was fine) Nothing when trying to start it. With ours, the wire from the topside wiring harness that goes to the plug more to the top of the starter was not making a solid contact. I cleaned both connections and used fine grit sandpaper on the plug ends on the starter. Now the starter turns over every time with enthusiasm. Hopefully it will be as simple as that for you!!
    Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '02 325iT, '83 320i
    Folks, thank you all very much. It turns out, "wire number 50" wasn't plugged into the correct spade terminal as was mentioned by 320iAman. The ignition switch work great now! After reassembling all the components, the issue still remained and through the process of elimination, it seems the tumbler itself is no bueno. I've gone ahead and ordered another, should be here in a few days and hoping to God it fixes this issue for good.

Love this forum, thank you all again!