Thread: Counterfeit Ate calipers

My Cars
    hiss by my window

Counterfeit Ate calipers

Hello all,
    My first post to the 2002 forum. A warning if you are concerned with correctness in your restoration.
    I have recently purchased four piston front calipers, supposedly re-mans, by Cardone industries. What I received are counterfeits, presumably new, box states made in Korea.
    Genuine Ate calipers always have Ate cast on the body. These are clearly not Ate and not even a particularly good knock off, the castings are visibly different.
    So, having said that; caveat emptor.
    This means I'm in the market for a pair re-manned GENUINE Ate calipers. Anyone have a source that can be trusted?
    Thanks

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    Wondering where you found them, I couldn’t find remanned 4 piston calipers in general. Backordered everywhere I went.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    caliper repair kits, caliper pistons etc available here from the U.K. classic BMW parts, never bought from them, as I owned my 2002 long time ago from 1976 - 1980 https://www.jaymic.com/1502-to-2002-...nt-brakes.html
    https://www.02restoration.com/bmw-2002-brake-parts/
    wallothnesch in Germany is a trusted shop https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/brak...-34-03-00.html
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Josh, we spoke about the E24 fronts, these are 2002 fronts which my car uses at the rear. Cardone sells the 2002 fronts.
    I spoke with someone at Cardone who claims they just re-man whatever cores are coming in. They are short handed so were unable to perform a bin check to see what's in inventory. Me thinks they have no cores so are buying new, offshore knock offs. Hope I'm wrong.
    The possibility exists of course that they did get some knock offs in as cores and re-manned them. If so the ratio of counterfeits to real Ate must be pretty high if I got two of two ordered.
    I've re-ordered so am waiting to see what I get this time around. I don't have high hopes.

I won't be rebuilding my own unless a dire situation. Pistons are stuck fast so I expect they will get damaged on removal and the bores could be beyond just a hone.
    A local re-builder could be last resort, at significantly higher cost and some inconvenience.

Has anyone else seen bogus Ate calipers ??
    I also need the 10 x 6 x 2mm seal washers(not O-rings) between the halves. Ate has been unresponsive. Web searching returns O-rings or faucet seat washers. Anyone have a source for these seals alone? I am separating the calipers and using a spacer between the halves to allow a thicker rotor so more seals are required.
    Last edited by ross1; 04-17-2020 at 11:06 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '76 2002,'16 435iX GC
    Some info from a recent 2002 FAQ thread that might be useful. Hal Boyles who posts on there might be a source for new seals/spacers. He’s making kits to alter/rebuild 2002 ATE calipers.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/to...rake-calipers/

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
    Some info from a recent 2002 FAQ thread that might be useful. Hal Boyles who posts on there might be a source for new seals/spacers. He’s making kits to alter/rebuild 2002 ATE calipers.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/to...rake-calipers/
    Thanks but this ^ link won't work for me.

My Cars
    '76 2002,'16 435iX GC
    FAQ site is down temporarily (maintenance issues)...

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    It's back up, thanks. Looks like a member there could be helpful for sourcing the seals between the halves I'm having a tough time finding.

My Cars
    '76 2002,'16 435iX GC
    Yeah, he’s making kits, contact him. Thought you might see your caliper versions there too. (Noting that not all calipers have ATE markings).