Thread: Opinions on suspension options for E30 build

My Cars
    1984 318i (M42 swap)

Opinions on suspension options for E30 build

Hello, I know this subject has been beat to death but I've been struggling to find a concise answer or opinion based on first hand knowledge. I am building my 1984 318i (M42 swapped) as a backroad/autocross/occasional daily car. I'm not super worried about ride height or comfort, I'm looking to get the best handling set up I can with a fair amount of longevity (I live on a windy backroad and tend to beat the heck out of whatever I'm driving). For some background, I'm already reinforcing the chassis with the garagistic weld-in kit, upgrading all available bushings to garagistic poly 80A, new strut mounts, new control arms, ball joints and endlinks, the whole nine yards. I'll also be putting on strut braces and a x-brace, F/R garagistic sway bars and a skid plate so I don't have to worry so much about ride height with the M42 sump. I was originally planning to go Bilstein B12 but after so many mixed reviews, and some people saying they actually weren't even that stiff, I started to lose certainty. So my questions are as follows:

If money were not an issue, what strut/spring combo would you choose and why? (it is, but I'm willing to shell out for quality)

Opinions on Eibach Pro? (I've heard mixed messages on whether or not there is a sportline for the E30, but if there is, which one would be my better option? I've also heard good things about IE Stage 3s, but not as many reviews. I think I would prefer linear over progressive springs, but I would love some input from someone who has experienced them both. I'm not worried about my own comfort, but I'm definitely not trying to lose any teeth or rattle out important bolts. I'm also concerned about binding as I've heard some complaints about that)

Bilstein B8 or Koni yellow? or...? (Lots of reliability/longevity complaints on the B8 (clunking mostly), but mostly on later models, and my understanding is that's not an issue with lowering springs. People seem to love them or hate them, but I couldn't find much info regarding E30s specifically)

Would coilovers be my better option? If so, which ones? (I prefer the simplicity of non-adjustable things as I know I will likely never adjust them, but if its a significant difference just in friendly backroad shootouts, I would consider it worth the extra work)

Are there any other suspension/handling mods you would do, if this were your project? (I'll welcome any other suggestions, really)

Sorry this is such a dense post, this is my first build with performance at the forefront instead of just make it run, make it stop, so I'm a bit out of my element. Looking to crowd source as much information as I can so I can confidently buy something expensive. Any help is much appreciated!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    moved to E30 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    i cannot speak to a lot of this, but i can for a few..... I used powerflex bushings when i redid my suspension this spring. I have been very happy so far. I have also went koni-yellow. I am very happy with them. I set them 1/2 turn from soft and it rides great and great control. They replaced 1 year old b4. As for mods... the only ones i did, x-brace and strut bar from garaistic. I am really happy with them.

AS for coilovers.... i am mixed on those. You have to destroy a set of strut housings and weld them on the coilovers. These things are getting rare. I cringe when people cut these up.... If you pair them with good struts carts and good springs, they can be ever bit as good as coilovers.... I really dont see advantage of coilovers except adjustability.
    1987 BMW 325i Convertible

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
    Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    1984 318i (M42 swap)
    Great! Thank you for the input! I've pretty much ruled out coilovers now, my current plan is B8s with H&R race's. I'm glad to hear you like your garagistic pieces though, I'll definitely stick with those then.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    i have dinan springs... so konis seems to work better.
    1987 BMW 325i Convertible

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
    Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    Konis are awesome . I had them on a car I used to have with sport springs and then I went to coil overs. Sport springs were great with the konis but so we're coil overs.

For the amount of work and how the roads are where I live, I will just do sport springs from now on.
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1984 318i (M42 swap)
    superj, did you experience any bottoming out problems with the Konis? I've heard its a common problem with hard driving on sports. Also were you running reds or yellows?

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    Yellow konis. Never had them bottom out, that I knew of. They were great
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1984 318i (M42 swap)
    great, thanks for the info