Thread: Z3 rack won't go into 1995 M3

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

Z3 rack won't go into 1995 M3

I'm finally ready to install the non-M Z3 rack into my 1995 E36 M3 and at first try I'm finding it won't physically go in. It feels like something on the driver side is getting in the way and preventing the rack sliding into the brackets on that side. I've installed a new M3 cooling loop on the Z3 rack, and have re-routed the fixed metal lines that were initially getting in the way. Any ideas? I've seen lots of posts online saying this is a straight swap so what am I missing?
    Thanks

My Cars
    A few
    Post a picture. I just installed the Z3 non-M rack on my E36 over the weekend and I only had to very slightly re-bend the fixed hard lines to make it fit.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Thanks for the response. Even after bending the fixed hard lines, I now find that a high spot on the aluminum casting on the Z3 rack (which doesn't exist on the original M3 rack) is fouling on the oil pan. Makes me wonder if tired engine mounts on my 185k-mile car are causing the engine to sit lower than it should. Thoughts? Not that there were any symptoms of tired mounts when driving the car.
    The dark spot I'm pointing to in the pic is dirty oil where the casting is contacting the oil pan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by daytonabitch; 04-13-2020 at 07:54 PM.

My Cars
    A few
    The rack mounts on the front side of the cross member. I'm trying to imagine how the rack is contacting the oil pan, which would be to the rear of the cross member.

Regardless, sagging mounts could cause an interference problem.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    So I've fitted new engine mounts. I haven't re-tried fitting the rack yet because I'm concerned about hooking it up to the lower steering shaft. My understanding is the shaft is supposed to telescope to make it easier to line up and slide the joint onto the rack. But I can't get the shaft on my car to budge. Am I missing something?
    (Incidentally, re the rack fouling on the oil pan: the deep part of the oil pan is at the rear but it's part of one large casting and the forward part extends over the crossmember).

My Cars
    A few
    Noted about what you meant about the rack contacting the pan. Also, the swivel joint on the lower end of the steering shaft should slide up and down on the shaft splines, allowing you to position the shaft over the rack. You will need to fully remove the bolts from the swivel joint (at least in my experience). Lube up the joint with penetrating oil and use a block of wood if you need to strike it with a hammer.

How did you get the shaft off the old rack?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Thanks! The shaft came off fairly easily I guess because a few months before the lower flex joint had been replaced (by a BMW shop).