Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1999 M3 Progress Thread

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Parked next to this one. Dinan exhaust, super clean. Anyone here?

My Cars
    E36 M3 Vert, E39 M5
    Haven't seen that M3 around Northern VA myself - which mall are you in?

Chad.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Tysons

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Needed to order a couple more items to install the KWs properly with all new parts using the OE mounts. I passed on camber plates for now- we'll see where it ends up and reassess if needed.

07119905829 Washing for strut nut
    31311139453 Dust cover for strut mount
    31312227387 Protection Cap
    33526762325 Absorber Plate (washer above the rear bump stops)
    33526779398 Guide Support Shim (Washer below the washer above the rear bump stops)

Also 31336765744 and 07119905374 are not needed- these come with the strut mounts.

Lastly order the OE FAG front wheel bearings & hubs from FCPEuro. Might as well give give the new hub extenders a new hub to match right?

Last edited by sirhodjibob; 11-11-2020 at 05:57 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Got everything installed except for the wheels bearings, then had an alignment done at GTPeace (along with getting the front window regulator/motor replaced which decided it didn't want to live anymore). I risked it a bit by not opting for aftermarket camber plates, but ended up at -1.8 of negative front camber. 0 toe front and rear. The ride quality with KWs is on par with the Bilsteins + stock springs on before. Firm but I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long drive. The best part though is the turn in- the ZHP steering rack definitely helped, but with new sway bar endlinks/bushings and the coilovers it feels much more planted and willing to change direction. It feels much more modern in that sense and closer to my old Z4M in feel.

Next step is probably to switch over to OEM Euro lighting. Maybe more in the off chance thee's a decent Black Friday special.
    Last edited by sirhodjibob; 11-23-2020 at 06:56 PM.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhodjibob View Post
    Got everything installed except for the wheels bearings, then had an alignment done at GTPeace (along with getting the front window regulator/motor replaced which decided it didn't want to live anymore). I risked it a bit by not opting for aftermarket camber plates, but ended up at -1.8 of negative front camber. 0 toe front and rear. The ride quality with KWs is on par with the Bilsteins + stock springs on before. Firm but I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long drive. The best part though is the turn in- the ZHP steering rack definitely helped, but with new sway bar endlinks/bushings and the coilovers it feels much more planted and willing to change direction. It feels much more modern in that sense and closer to my old Z4M in feel.

Next step is probably to switch over to OEM Euro lighting. Maybe more in the off chance thee's a decent Black Friday special.
    Man, zero toe is where it's at. It may not be the absolute fastest for autocross or a track day (though it's close), but it makes the car so playful.

You've accomplished in 7 months about 60% of what it took me around 10 years to do. And you could eat off your fender wells.

Euro lighting makes such a huge difference. I got an E32 and all it took was driving them back to back at night to be blown away at how terrible my E36 lights were. I got some ZKWs from Germany (shout out to Miss kitty) and then swapped in some Morimoto V2 LEDs, and they are just a stunning difference. As good or better than my 2010 Escalade.

Even with the stock H1s or H7s it's a huge improvement.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1998 m3 convertible

Looks great! Have been following for a while, and taking part #s from a number of your posts, great work and thanks!

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Did a bit of maintenance- changed the oil and filter at 80k miles with Liqui Moly 5W-40 and greased the brake caliper guides. Took the car back to GTPeace in Chantilly to install the new OE front wheel bearings and hubs as well.

Also installed a new OEM front lip, new front bumper trim pieces, and BMW X5 clear side markers to spruce up the exterior up a bit.

51111908077- clips for the front lip
    07149126885- bolts for the front lip
    51112251767- front lip
    51112265637, 51112265638, 51112265639 - front bumper trim pieces
    63137164491 - side marker left
    63137164492 - side marker right

On order from Schmeidmann are OE Magnetti Marelli (aka Bosch) headlights (the later H7 variety). Not in stock but should ship out soon. Still trying to track down the OE Magnetti Marelli rear taillights. I think I found them in the EU but not sure if they ship to the US.
    Last edited by sirhodjibob; 12-13-2020 at 09:13 PM.

My Cars
    BMW E36 328i coupe
    On order from Schmeidmann are OE Magnetti Marelli (aka Bosch) headlights (the later H7 variety). Not in stock but should ship out soon. Still trying to track down the OE Magnetti Marelli rear taillights. I think I found them in the EU but not sure if they ship to the US.
    Why buy Magnetti Marelli headlights? You can buy OE ZKW's H7 and make them look brand new basically. It's not that difficult too. You need to replate the reflector, change out the rubber gaskets and polish the glass. I've had mine refurbished and they turned out fantastic. Also the tailights should not be that hard to find actually - are you looking for the amber or clear version?

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    I prefer to buy new parts while they are still available. Looking for the clear ones.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Quote Originally Posted by gsanvi View Post
    Why buy Magnetti Marelli headlights? You can buy OE ZKW's H7 and make them look brand new basically. It's not that difficult too. You need to replate the reflector, change out the rubber gaskets and polish the glass. I've had mine refurbished and they turned out fantastic. Also the tailights should not be that hard to find actually - are you looking for the amber or clear version?
    I've tried polishing ZKW lenses with Cerium Oxide and had zero luck, it was much better buying new ZKW lenses. How'd you do it?

Super clean car OP. The clear side markers are a little strange if you are keeping the rest amber.
    CBlock

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    I have new amber Euro turn signals sitting in box. We'll see how it looks- I think the clear tails will help. Without going into detail I am very limited here by the strict laws regarding these things in Virginia.
    Last edited by sirhodjibob; 12-16-2020 at 06:08 PM.

My Cars
    E36
    I've lived in NOVA for years. You'll be fine.

My Cars
    BMW E36 328i coupe
    I prefer to buy new parts while they are still available. Looking for the clear ones.
    As many people have pointed here, the quality of new parts can often be much worse than the originals. I have seen it myself on different occasions. That's why I decided to refurbish my headlights rather than look for new replacements. And you have BOSCH or ZKW symbol on the headlight instead of some aftermarket brand name.

Quote Originally Posted by CblockM3 View Post
    I've tried polishing ZKW lenses with Cerium Oxide and had zero luck, it was much better buying new ZKW lenses. How'd you do it?
    I've had a shop do it for me. Different sandpaper grits first and cerium oxide to finish. Apart from a few deeper chips that are hardly visible the glass turned out almost brand new. The difference was well worth it.
    Last edited by gsanvi; 12-18-2020 at 03:12 PM. Reason: spelling

My Cars
    98 M3
    As many people have pointed here, the quality of new parts can often be much worse than the originals. I have seen it myself on different occasions. That's why I decided to refurbish my headlights rather than look for new replacements. And you have BOSCH or ZKW symbol on the headlight instead of some aftermarket brand name.
    Magnetti Marelli is Bosch.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    E36 M3 / 991.2 911
    Looks awesome OP, random Q for you. I need to source a new OEM M3 Spoiler for my car (the one on it is damaged beyond repair). Have you seen any leads on some good quality new / aftermarket ones? Everything that I seem to find that is OEM/USED is more beat up than I would like.

Your car continues to look great. Mine is on pause till it gets warmer up here in NJ.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    I'm waiting to hear back from EAG's bodyshop team to see if they can salvage the Class II spoiler I bought. If they can my OEM will be up for sale. But no, don't know of any aftermarket ones of high quality but some others here might.

My Cars
    BMW E36 328i coupe
    Bosch sold their headlight manufacturing division to Magnetti Marelli. Now the headlights have AL (Automotive Lighting) written on the front, so it's not Bosch. It's the same design if that's what you mean.

My Cars
    1996 Turbo M3, 97 M3
    Hey, I thought your car looked familiar. I'm the guy that came by last night and picked up your Take-Off Bilstein's. You've got a really nice build going on, looking forward to seeing more of it. -Adam
    ****Official E36 M3 Addict****
    -96 Estoril M3 Built S52 w/ GTX3576R/Schricks &Technica Motorsports Tuning & Lots of Other Goodies currently under construction(Forever)
    -97 Cosmos, OEM+

-97 Silver M3/4/5, 95 Daytona Voilet M3, 95 Black M3 , 98 Estoril 4Dr & 99 Estoril 2Dr, 92 318i Vert - Pandemic Ward Victims

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Because ZKW are inferior to Bosch in aesthetics (subjective, I know) and in dimensions. There's also the added benefit of knowing that Bosch have no replica. Nobody will care about your OEM ZKW since every dingle berry has a DJ Auto/DEPO/YINYANG copy of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Bosch sold their headlight manufacturing division to Magnetti Marelli. Now the headlights have AL (Automotive Lighting) written on the front, so it's not Bosch. It's the same design if that's what you mean.
    No. They are BOSCH. It's not some lesser version... in fact they have improved on a number of things over the years like using pure projector lenses (H1 headlights) whereas original had a texture to them.

AL/MM/Bosch are the same product. AL and MM are a subsidiary of Bosch.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 12-22-2020 at 01:03 PM.

My Cars
    BMW E36 328i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Because ZKW are inferior to Bosch in aesthetics (subjective, I know) and in dimensions. There's also the added benefit of knowing that Bosch have no replica. Nobody will care about your OEM ZKW since every dingle berry has a DJ Auto/DEPO/YINYANG copy of it.

- - - Updated - - -

No. They are BOSCH. It's not some lesser version... in fact they have improved on a number of things over the years like using pure projector lenses (H1 headlights) whereas original had a texture to them.

AL/MM/Bosch are the same product. AL and MM are a subsidiary of Bosch.

Ok, cool. My bad.

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Sanity check is needed though. Today I ceramic coated the spare tire well in the trunk.
    I'm gonna say you're good to go...

Seriously nice work on your rig. Just caught up on this thread - haven't been on the board much lately. You're definitely going more aftermarket under the covers than I did, but really strong effort. Details are excellent.

Now I need to get off my ass and do some work that's been sitting in boxes for a year....

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98 M3
    Needed to order a couple more items to install the KWs properly with all new parts using the OE mounts. I passed on camber plates for now- we'll see where it ends up and reassess if needed.

07119905829 Washing for strut nut
    31311139453 Dust cover for strut mount
    31312227387 Protection Cap
    33526762325 Absorber Plate (washer above the rear bump stops)
    33526779398 Guide Support Shim (Washer below the washer above the rear bump stops)

Also 31336765744 and 07119905374 are not needed- these come with the strut mounts.

Lastly order the OE FAG front wheel bearings & hubs from FCPEuro. Might as well give give the new hub extenders a new hub to match right?

I'm thinking about updating the suspension as well. Did you consider other coilover kit before landing on KWs?
    98 M3

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Quote Originally Posted by cool2seat View Post
    Hey, I thought your car looked familiar. I'm the guy that came by last night and picked up your Take-Off Bilstein's. You've got a really nice build going on, looking forward to seeing more of it. -Adam
    Thanks Adam! Good to meet you.

Quote Originally Posted by crqflier View Post
    I'm gonna say you're good to go...

Seriously nice work on your rig. Just caught up on this thread - haven't been on the board much lately. You're definitely going more aftermarket under the covers than I did, but really strong effort. Details are excellent.

Now I need to get off my ass and do some work that's been sitting in boxes for a year....

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the kind words! Yes I like to modify a bit, but I try not to overdo it.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboM3 View Post
    I'm thinking about updating the suspension as well. Did you consider other coilover kit before landing on KWs?
    Considered several options:

-Dinan suspension: ruled out as it would not lower enough
    -Konis with H&R: The "cut and gut" seemed weird to me, also I did not ownOEM shocks to cut as the previous owner installed Bilsteins
    -Bilsteins with H&R: I loved the Bilsteins on my SL500, but they are way too stiff on the E36 as many reviews on here allude to.
    -ST Coilovers: Basically KWs but with cheaper metal. Pass.
    -H&R Coilovers: Had them on my Z4M. Was not a fan.
    -TC Klines: Super cool, but overkill for me.

I settled on KW because of combination of quality, ride comfort, and height adjustability. I have some weight reduction so adjustable ride height and a set up with somewhat softer springs was going to be useful. For NVH reasons I also preferred to stick with OEM front mounts instead of camber plates. It worked out well enough because at this ride height I'm at -1.8 degrees of negative camber, which is about where'd I want to be anyways. So far I am really like it, at least for my intended use purposes.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast