Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1999 M3 Progress Thread

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    ^ you mean Bavsound* (Bavauto is no longer here). But very helpful information! Since we are on the topic of HK, can you describe what the spatial button did on the HK setup and why the nonHK didn't have it?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc View Post
    I’ll bite at this one because I spent 17 as a design engineer in audio and acoustics in my prior endeavors and designed several well known car audio systems for JBL, infinity & HK including everything from entry level to high end JBL GTi and Infinity Perfect-series components. We also designed the original HK upgrade for the e36 back in the day.

I bought the Bavauto stuff to check out. Short of bringing it in to test acoustics in one of Harmans custom car setups it’s obvious to me they are mostly marketing. Nothing was specifically designed for the E36 other than trying to get the impedance and relative output between components close.

<snip>
    Rant
    <snip>

All of this said BavAuto is not a scam. In fact the price point is relatively aggressive and reasonable for what it is (~$550US). I’m not a big fan of all the claims they make but it’s just marketing. Just don’t expect a big upgrade in sound quality. Also don’t expect a big upgrade in output as the system is limited by the stock head units and rms power and THD of the HK amp.
    You kinda shot your credibility by saying you actually bought the BavSound audio system, then ripped it apart, repeatedly referring to it as BavAuto. Then, in the last paragraph, saying it’s not a bad deal.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-rb

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RBNetEngr View Post
    You kinda shot your credibility by saying you actually bought the BavSound audio system, then ripped it apart, repeatedly referring to it as BavAuto. Then, in the last paragraph, saying it’s not a bad deal.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-rb
    Haha. it is what is it is. I’m referring to BavSound, the drop-in speaker system for E36 (and others). Just my professional opinion. If interested in more data I have it. Basically it’s just as much an ‘upgrade’ and most other entry level aftermarket speaker options. Don’t expect miracles.

My name is Brian Castro. Look me up on LinkedIn or better yet the audio engineering society (AES) or US patent trademark office for all of my published papers and patents regarding transducers and speaker design…
    Last edited by brianc; 01-18-2022 at 01:50 AM.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    ^ you mean Bavsound* (Bavauto is no longer here). But very helpful information! Since we are on the topic of HK, can you describe what the spatial button did on the HK setup and why the nonHK didn't have it?
    Yes it’s Bavsound. The HIFI switch switches in different gain and filters for certain speakers. It’s exclusively analog from what I recall, analog switches to control the active filters and gain for certain speakers in the ‘top hi fi’ amplifier. It only pertains to the top hi fi system. I do have more info I can dig up. I’ll definitely follow up when have time.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Haha. it is what is it is. I’m referring to BavSound, the drop-in speaker system for E36 (and others). Just my professional opinion. If interested in more data I have it. Basically it’s just as much an ‘upgrade’ and most other entry level aftermarket speaker options. Don’t expect miracles.
    Last Spring I bought the BavSound speakers for my E36 because I had two rear speakers with foam surrounds totally gone, and I was never really happy with the stock (non-HK) sound. The sound is a big improvement, but for me the fact that they make the speakers a Plug and Play replacement for the factory speakers sealed the deal.

The custom mount to place 6x9 rear speakers in place of 5 3/4” speakers is also very nice. And the custom rings to adapt the much improved tweeters into the factory mount is also very nice. Just trying to emulate these custom mounts, plus obtaining connectors to build custom Plug and Play wiring, make any price difference worth it…for me.

Besides, the sound system is secondary to the driving experience…for me.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Last Spring I bought the BavSound speakers for my E36 because I had two rear speakers with foam surrounds totally gone, and I was never really happy with the stock (non-HK) sound. The sound is a big improvement, but for me the fact that they make the speakers a Plug and Play replacement for the factory speakers sealed the deal.

The custom mount to place 6x9 rear speakers in place of 5 3/4” speakers is also very nice. And the custom rings to adapt the much improved tweeters into the factory mount is also very nice. Just trying to emulate these custom mounts, plus obtaining connectors to build custom Plug and Play wiring, make any price difference worth it…for me.

Agree with this statement. Compared to the Non-HK setup, it was a huge upgrade in sound quality. I'm sure it only slightly edges out my base e46 sound system but its the perfect balance between hearing the natural sounds of the car/road and also what is coming out of my stock unit.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    My name is Brian Castro. Look me up on LinkedIn…
    Haha - will do. In fact...

Invitation sent.

This is purely entertainment for me. I could stand having my wiring cleaned up - the PO (my cousin) did an aftermarket ... Kenwood? install that wasn't very clean (yeah, I have a freaking capacitor in my trunk I'd love to toss without losing everything or blowing everything and get rid of all the other extraneous wiring). But when I'm driving I don't usually listen to anything other than the car. Maybe someday when the car is done...

Haha, can that actually happen?

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    I’ll bite at this one because I spent 17 as a design engineer in audio and acoustics in my prior endeavors and designed several well known car audio systems for JBL, infinity & HK including everything from entry level to high end JBL GTi and Infinity Perfect-series components. We also designed the original HK upgrade for the e36 back in the day.
    [...]
    All of this said BavAuto is not a scam. In fact the price point is relatively aggressive and reasonable for what it is (~$550US). I’m not a big fan of all the claims they make but it’s just marketing. Just don’t expect a big upgrade in sound quality. Also don’t expect a big upgrade in output as the system is limited by the stock head units and rms power and THD of the HK amp.
    Very interesting. I think a lot of E36 owners install this kind of speaker kit not so much as an upgrade, but because their original speakers have deteriorated or otherwise failed.

I have the original HK setup in my 1996 M3, but with a CD43 "Business CD" head unit, which has better sound than the original cassette radio. Audio quality is OK, but not a patch on the Fender branded system in my 2015 Golf R, much less the B&O branded system of my wife's 2018 Audi Q5. But then consumer electronics have come a long, long way since the 90s.

I dread the day when my original HK speakers crap out, since I'm really not interested in an audio upgrade project.

Neil

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    You know I've gone over a year without AC or a sound system in the car and I can't say I miss either. But I'm weird like that.

My Cars
    E36 M3 / 991.2 911
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhodjibob View Post
    You know I've gone over a year without AC or a sound system in the car and I can't say I miss either. But I'm weird like that.
    I will be doing the same sans-stereo, especially considering that I don't want to cut my new door cards for the speaker placements. That said, I do wish I had run the cabling provisions for a discreet rear amp and new speaker wire when I had my interior out - so I at least had the option. Oh well!

RE: Bavsound, I had their entire package in my E38 (sans rear parcel shelf, which I used the VW Monsoon drop-ins). Truth be told I was very underwhelmed, but I agree their main value is that they are a drop-in replacement. Likes most BMW's, the shortcoming is the factory amplifier (and in the 7-series case, the antiquated DSP system).

@brianc - your input on this topic is great, I learned a lot!

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhodjibob View Post
    For the first 25 or so years of my life I never experienced A/C in a car. But that was many decades ago and I'm damned if I'm giving it up now! A sound system is nice when driving to distant tracks. I don't like sticking things in my ear.

Neil

My Cars
    E36 M3

I think we are mostly in agreement. The BavSound speakers for the E36 are basically an entry level aftermarket system w/ the added benefit of plug and play. My main gripe is that I don't like the boastful statements on the website and marketing materials. The system was not designed for best sound quality in the E36 for the reasons I mentioned - numerous free design choices would be completely different. They spent more money on marketing and packaging than R&D. Sound quality is subjective of course. The front sound stage is definitely one step up in terms of sound output - it will be play a bit louder before breakup. The rear speakers will be about the same as the HK top hifi speakers w/ little less distortion in the highs. The overall balance and frequency response however is a total crapshoot. If your stock speakers have gone bad I can certainly understand the BavSound option when compared to what you would have to pay for new OE speakers. I think I might start a new thread w/ much more detail on the BavSound.

I also found the documents on the HK Top HIFI system. I have confirmed the HIFI switch simply passes the front and rear soundstage through an analog spatializer (analog crosstalk cancellation)... The switching is indeed all done via analog switches (4016's). The signal path is all analog, all 2nd order active filters for low and high speaker channels sent to four TDA8563 linear amps (true output is ~20W/channel @ 1%THD at 4ohms). Front tweeters for coupe/sedan are high-passed passively w/ capacitor at the speaker. The spatializer is a cheap and cheerful analog crosstalk cancellation that makes the soundstage sound wider (Harman’s version but think Qsound, SRS…they’re all pretty much same thing)… it was a precursor to what became Harman VMAx and numerous digital version of 3D sound based on HRTF’s & crosstalk cancellation. In the early 90's when it was designed there were only a few one-chip digital solutions that are a dime a dozen today - but they were expensive - so it's all old school op amps, analog switches, linear IC-amps, and analog spatializer. I have a half dozen of the amps I think I'm going to start a new thread and share all the information including electrical measurements on the two modes (normal and hifi) that will show exactly what is going on.
    Last edited by brianc; 01-28-2022 at 06:19 PM.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    ^ in lamens terms does that mean the switch makes vocals more clear? I always felt that phone calls and heavy lyrice songs were a bit bassier (or less clear) than with the switch flipped on.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    ^ in lamens terms does that mean the switch makes vocals more clear? I always felt that phone calls and heavy lyrice songs were a bit bassier (or less clear) than with the switch flipped on.
    No not at all! The sound is in fact compromised for the sake of a wider soundstage. For the simple analog spatializer in the HK amp exactly what you describe happens. The mid/mid-bass can get muffled for lack of a better word. The first generations of digital 3D sound algorithms could control this somewhat and are better but none perfect.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    No not at all! The sound is in fact compromised for the sake of a wider soundstage. For the simple analog spatializer in the HK amp exactly what you describe happens. The mid/mid-bass can get muffled for lack of a better word. The first generations of digital 3D sound algorithms could control this somewhat and are better but none perfect.
    for those of us with the non-HK Hifi sound system, do we have any relative advantage as little as it maybe vs the HK then? Otherwise, I am tempted to now convert my hifi to HK.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    for those of us with the non-HK Hifi sound system, do we have any relative advantage as little as it maybe vs the HK then? Otherwise, I am tempted to now convert my hifi to HK.
    No. The HK top HIfI amp is better - higher power and lower distortion. Also when HIFI switch is off they have pretty much the same crossovers (except the HK is 8ch vs 10ch w/ passive crossover on front tweeters). The HK tophifi amp is simply better as implemented in all models coupe, sedan, conv.

My Cars
    BMW E36 328i coupe
    It's not worth it IMO. I've had HK in my car from factory. I replaced the door speakers, repaired the amp, repaired the radio 2 times now - stock CD23 unit, and after all this hassle when I first heard what it sounds like... I wouldn't do it again for sure.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    I think your issue is the CD23 unit. If you upgrade to a CD43 (or even a C43) where the engineers finally solved for the alternator whine issue and removed the limiter, you will get a substantial boost in audio quality.

I didn't believe it until I switched from a C33 to a C43. But not sure if going from Hifi to HK will have similar results.

Quote Originally Posted by gsanvi View Post
    It's not worth it IMO. I've had HK in my car from factory. I replaced the door speakers, repaired the amp, repaired the radio 2 times now - stock CD23 unit, and after all this hassle when I first heard what it sounds like... I wouldn't do it again for sure.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    No. The HK top HIfI amp is better - higher power and lower distortion. Also when HIFI switch is off they have pretty much the same crossovers (except the HK is 8ch vs 10ch w/ passive crossover on front tweeters). The HK tophifi amp is simply better as implemented in all models coupe, sedan, conv.

Brian- if converting from a factory hifi system to HK, it appears plug n play.
    However, one thing I noticed in looking at the ETM on the e36 is that the Hifi vs HK front door speakers has about a 0.25 gauage variance in wiring of the front speakers. (HK cars came with slightly heavier gauge). Otherwise, the wiring is the same and the cross overs are handled at the amp level. Would the lower guage in the hifi wiring impact power/quality of the HK speakers in your opinion?

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    We had a pretty big snow storm in early January and the car has been parked since then except for an occasional drive on dry days to circulate fluids. Fortunate to be able to park the car in a climate controlled garage kept at 68 degrees. Weather has turned for the better so diving back into things.

Wanted to finish replacing all the rubber seals so placed an order with BMW of Fairfax- with this order every piece of rubber remaining that I can think of will have been replaced except for the sunroof seals and door seals. I'm sure some of you were already aware, but the door seals are currently not available but not necessarily gone forever. The parts advisor suggested to check back in a month or so.

51362255381 & 51362255382 - rear vent window gaskets
    51712234044 - side skirt gaskets
    51238207821, 51711977438, 51718165273 x 2 - seals around the hood
    51321977683 & 51321977684 - left and right side view mirror gaskets
    51718171244 - trunk gasket

Also ordered a couple aftermarket items:
    -Mason Engineering clutch pedal (My new OEM is already crooked again)
    -Supersprint catted Mid Pipe (US Spec and not due in till August)

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Realized I haven't posted the list of parts I accumulated this winter. None of these are installed yet but I need to write this down so I don't lose track of everything

Still need to order a few more things. Goal is to finish the mechanical restoration by end of May, then focus on interior (still undecided on what direction to go). Exterior is pretty much done at this point. Maybe change up the wheels if I come across something cool. Paint is in pretty great shape considering the age, but it would be fun to repaint it a BMW individual color down the road.

Parts waiting to be installed. It's a lot of parts. Basically, the head is getting pulled to be refreshed. VANOS and entire timing system is being refreshed. Oil pump is being refreshed. All gaskets replaced. All sensors replaced. Hardware replaced.

Timing System:
    11211719984 - crankshaft sprocket
    11211720633 - crank bolt
    11231288660 - washer for crank bolt
    07119951480 x 2 - woodruff key
    11141275466 - Corteco crankshaft seal
    07119906123 x 10 - timing case bolts
    07-11-9-906-124 x 4 timing case bolts
    07-12-9-904-544 x 4 studs for timing case
    11311722651 - upper timing chain guide
    11311736326 x 2 - upper timing chain guide bolts
    11311726480, 11311703717 lower timing chain guides
    11111748989 - lower timing chain guide bolt
    07119904525 x 2, 07119904524 chain tensioner bolts
    11141740843 - Elring timing cover gasket
    11141740846 - Elring timing cover gasket
    11311432177 - Iwis Racing upper timing chain
    11311432176 - Iwis Racing lower timing chain
    11317838675 - INA timing chain tensioner
    11311738700 - INA upper timing chain tensioner
    07119963418 - timing chain tensioner gasket
    11417576915 - Iwis Racing oil pump chain
    11361403550 - diaphragm spring for intake timing gear

Cylinder Head, VANOS, & sensors:
    Elring Cylinder Head Gasket Kit (also comes with exhaust manifold gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, t-stat housing gasket, throttle body gasket, valve stems seals, valve cover gasket)
    11127593376 x 24 - exhaust manifold studs from the E90. Easier to install vs E36
    11121703341 - Valve cover (is yours streaky looking by the Vanos unit? Well, getting a new one won't fix it)
    11311722674 - Screw plug for Vanos
    07129904553 - nuts for Vanos
    11361436272 - stud bolt (I'll be honest I don't remember why I ordered this)
    11361436313 - nut for stud bolt
    11361703713 - Victor Reinz o ring for Vanos solenoid
    11361705532 - Rein Vanos oil feed line
    32416852469 x 2 - banjo bolts for Vanos oil line
    NGK BKR6EQUP Spark Plugs x 6
    11121740396 - cylinder head hose connector
    13621703993 - coolant temp sensor in head
    07119963130 x 2 - gasket for coolant temp sensor & hose connector
    12141703276 - VDO knock sensors
    07119913662 x 2 - bolts for knock sensors
    12141709616 - VDO crankshaft position sensor
    13627545338 - screw for crankshaft position sensor
    12514592703 - harness for crankshaft position sensor
    12141748398 - VNE camshaft postion sensor o ring
    13531729319 - Pierburg fuel pressure regulator
    13631721456 - VNE throttle position sensor
    12141703221 - camshaft position sensor
    11781437943 x 2 - NTK O2 sensors
    Dr. Vanos Stage II Kit & VANOS Solenoid

Oil Filter Housing, Oil Pump, Oil Pan, Dipstick:
    BavAuto viton oil filter housing gasket
    07119912574, 07119913003 x 2, 07119904504 x 3 - bolts for oil filter housing
    12618611273 - oil pressure sensor
    Turner Motorsports oil pan baffle kit
    11131437237 - Elring oil pan gasket
    11411703930 - Z3 reinforced oil pickup tube
    11411703947 - gasket for oil pickup tube
    07119904517 x 2 - bolt for pickup tube
    11431740045 - dipstick tube seal
    11431427993 - dipstick
    11431717666 x 2 - dipstick tube o ring
    11431740045 - dipstick o ring
    11137535106 - oil drain plug
    11131740000 x 24, 11131435807 x 2, 11131435806 x 2 - oil pan bolts

Figured since I will have everything apart might as well rebuild the power steering pump:
    32411135880 - power steering pump rebuild kit
    32427574840 x 3 - power steering pulley bolts
    07119904115 x 2 - washers for power steering pump bolts
    16121180242 x 2 power steering hose bolts
    32411093596 x 4 - washers for power steering banjo bolts (should be replaced every time banjo bolts are removed)

Front subframe is being dropped so:
    31111114348 x 4 - washers for control arm bolts to chassis
    31116781023 x 4 - front subframe bolts

Miscellaneous
    51712268565 x 6 - cap nuts for Rally Road strut brace
    36112228660 x 2 - //M emblem for strut brace
    82110146022 - First aid kit. Safety first
    64111469197- Mahle Behr Heater Core
    64118390208 - blower motor assembly
    Last edited by sirhodjibob; 03-31-2022 at 02:37 AM.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Semi annual wheels off deep clean:

Installed new foglights as my driver's side one had a crack and both were quite pitted. FYI driver's side is NLA from BMW, but I was able to track down a new one from Autohouse AZ. I'm always shocked how little holds these into place on the car every time I remove them.

Also ordered some fun stuff:

-Dinan air intake
    -Porsche 3.5" MAF with Turner wiring harness adapter
    -VAC OBDII 70mm throttle body
    -Schrick 256/264 camshafts
    -Bosch 24lb injectors
    -Supertech Valve stem seals
    -Supertech single lock valves
    -Supertech valve lock keepers
    -Achilles Motorsport oil pump
    -Supersprint US Spec headers

A few more things from BMW:

07129905541 x7 - Engine Intake Manifold Nut
    07119904527 x2 - Lower Support Bolt
    12511744589 - Ignition Coil harness
    61618360411, 61618360412 - Wiper Arms
    07119904115 x2 - Wiper Arm Washer
    07119905515 x2 - Wiper Arm Nut
    11341403709 x24 - Valve Springs
    11341432453 x24 - Valve Spring Retainers
    11341403612 x24 - Valve Spring Seats
    13541703588 - Connector Hose (for ASC+T delete)
    13541740159 - Hose to IACV
    07119905853 x2 - Fit Bolt
    31311136465 x4 - Hex Bolt With Washer
    34116767217 x 4 - Disc Brake Caliper Bracket Mounting Bolt
    13311427-638 - Inlet Fuel Hose
    11121405106 - Head Gasket
    Last edited by sirhodjibob; 04-12-2022 at 05:34 PM.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Consider sticking with stock valves. I've seen one too many destroyed engines from dropped Supertech single lock groove valves. A couple were here on this site and one was from a long time tech at BMW that I know.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 04-13-2022 at 01:37 AM.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Consider sticking with stock valves. I've seen one too many destroyed engines from dropped Supertech single lock groove valves. A couple were here on this site and one was from a long time tech at BMW that I know.
    Gotcha. I went with Sueprtech as both Achilles Motorsport and my shop like them when paired with a bigger cam. I guess if I drop a valve then it's S54 time.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Made a bit of progress. Unfortunately I am still waiting on my 3.5" MAF and Supersprint stuff to arrive as well as a few other miscellaneous things on back order, but this should hold me over until then.

Installed:
    Dinan Intake with K&N filter that Brett and Brianc suggested. Worked like a charm, but with the Bosche Euro headlights you can't use any of the nice brackets Dinan provides
    35411163228 - throttle cable w/ bushings
    65718380077 - cruise control cable
    35411158855 - accelerator pedal
    35411113728 - accelerator pedal bushings
    35411152331 - throttle cable grommet
    13631721456 - VNE throttle position sensor
    51718119200 x2 - gaskets for fuel pump/fuel level covers
    Rally Road strut brace (replica of Motorsport strut brace)
    36112228660 x2 - ///M logo for strut brace
    51712268565 x6 - nuts for strut brace
    31331094288 x2 - strut tower gasket (installed under strut brace)

Also deleted ASC+T fully so strut brace could clear- will need to wire in a resistor to get ABS back.
    13541703588 - Z3 boot from MAF to throttle body
    13541740159 - corresponding IACV hose

Definitely was motivated to replace the throttle cable bushings based on recent threads here but mine turned out to be ok. What were not ok were the bushings and grommets inside the cabin- they basically disintegrated when provoked. New throttle cable absolutely transformed the car and I highly recommend replacing- it feels almost like a brand new car. Dinan intake sounds awesome as well and is a major improvement in sound and quality over the DBilas debacle.

Last edited by sirhodjibob; 05-31-2022 at 05:04 PM.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast