Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: My 1999 M3 Progress Thread

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhodjibob View Post
    Also deleted ASC+T fully so strut brace could clear- will need to wire in a resistor to get ABS back.
    Just a suggestion: I pried open my ASC actuator, removed the throttle cable, and reinstalled. I think it’s a little cleaner looking than having the wire/connector zip tied somewhere and it was faster than wiring in a resistor

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Quote Originally Posted by Steage View Post
    Just a suggestion: I pried open my ASC actuator, removed the throttle cable, and reinstalled. I think it’s a little cleaner looking than having the wire/connector zip tied somewhere and it was faster than wiring in a resistor
    Interesting, I like that idea

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Are you also running the factory hood insulation with the ltw bar? If so how is that in terms of clearing the bar?

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    Are you also running the factory hood insulation with the ltw bar? If so how is that in terms of clearing the bar?
    No, I removed the insulation some time ago

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    I really like the way that Dinan intake looks. Not to mention your engine bay looks so nice and new.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Made a bit of progress. Unfortunately I am still waiting on my 3.5" MAF and Supersprint stuff to arrive as well as a few other miscellaneous things on back order, but this should hold me over until then.

Installed:
    Dinan Intake with K&N filter that Brett and Brianc suggested. Worked like a charm, but with the Bosche Euro headlights you can't use any of the nice brackets Dinan provides
    35411163228 - throttle cable w/ bushings
    65718380077 - cruise control cable
    35411158855 - accelerator pedal
    35411113728 - accelerator pedal bushings
    35411152331 - throttle cable grommet
    13631721456 - VNE throttle position sensor
    51718119200 x2 - gaskets for fuel pump/fuel level covers
    Rally Road strut brace (replica of Motorsport strut brace)
    36112228660 x2 - ///M logo for strut brace
    51712268565 x6 - nuts for strut brace
    31331094288 x2 - strut tower gasket (installed under strut brace)

Also deleted ASC+T fully so strut brace could clear- will need to wire in a resistor to get ABS back.
    13541703588 - Z3 boot from MAF to throttle body
    13541740159 - corresponding IACV hose

Definitely was motivated to replace the throttle cable bushings based on recent threads here but mine turned out to be ok. What were not ok were the bushings and grommets inside the cabin- they basically disintegrated when provoked. New throttle cable absolutely transformed the car and I highly recommend replacing- it feels almost like a brand new car. Dinan intake sounds awesome as well and is a major improvement in sound and quality over the DBilas debacle.

Hey Hutch any pointers or recommendations on the accelerator pedal replacement and throttle cable change? Looking to tackle this soon. Planning to remove the driver seat. I assume it’s a job that requires MAF and intake boot removal as well for access?

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova1 View Post
    Hey Hutch any pointers or recommendations on the accelerator pedal replacement and throttle cable change? Looking to tackle this soon. Planning to remove the driver seat. I assume it’s a job that requires MAF and intake boot removal as well for access?
    I didn't remove the driver's seat although that probably wouldn't hurt. It's much easier than replacing the clutch pedal. You will want to remove the lower dash panel which is easy enough (3 screws and a connector). Yes I would remove the entire intake system up to the throttle body, it will make access to the throttle cable and throttle cable bushings easier since everything is underneath it. A little silicone spray is your friend to make sliding the new bushings on easier

In this case I found removing the old parts more difficult than installing. By far the most difficult part for me was removing the old throttle cable from where it clips into the firewall. The how-to videos on YouTube suck as no one does it properly. I used the pick tool below to push down on the tabs to slide the throttle cable out of the cabin and into the engine bay. Flathead screwdriver did not give enough leverage. Installing is much easier as it should just snap back into place. For removing the accelerator pedal there is a tab behind it you push down to remove (see video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq5wCmZpKyE).

FYI the new throttle cable will come with new bushings already installed. It also didn't need any adjustment at all. Have someone in the car press in the accelerator pedal down in the car to make sure though. Definitely a job worth doing, the throttle responsive improvement was transformative for me (I suppose the new intake and removing ASC+T helped too).

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Picked up a new project. Don't worry as I am still full speed ahead on the M3. I was looking for a Z4M, but came across this in my perfect spec and jumped on it.

1999 Porsche Carrera C2, 37k miles, Arizona car for 20 years. It's an early 996 build meaning cable throttle, no traction control, and no onboard computer. Literally the only 2 options are the factory GT3 aero kit and Sport Design II wheels. Previous owner installed a Beluga Racing muffler bypass (LOUD), H&R springs, wheel spacers, Function First shifter, GT3 front spoiler, GT3 rear seat delete, and GT3 center console delete. It is an absolute blast to drive. I will need to take care of the usual 996 foibles but fortunately it's spent its entire life in the garage so the interior, paint, and trim all are in great shape.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Picked up a new project. Don't worry as I am still full speed ahead on the M3. I was looking for a Z4M, but came across this in my perfect spec and jumped on it.

1999 Porsche Carrera C2, 37k miles, Arizona car for 20 years. It's an early 996 build meaning cable throttle, no traction control, and no onboard computer.
    Since that seems to be an extremely well tended 996, I'd assume the IMS bearing issue has long since been taken care of? (See: https://lnengineering.com/products/t...-bearings.html)

Neil

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    Since that seems to be an extremely well tended 996, I'd assume the IMS bearing issue has long since been taken care of? (See: https://lnengineering.com/products/t...-bearings.html)

Neil
    Neil- No still the original IMS bearing as far as I know, but the MY99 cars had the dual row IMS bearing, which has ~1% failure rate vs 8%+ for the 996s built afterwards. General consensus is to wait until you need to do a clutch change, then you also do water pump, AOS, RMS and maybe timing chain guides and be done for a good while. At 37k I still have time but will likely knock all this out next year.

99s also got matched coolant port sizes in head gasket, 5-chain, double-roller design timing chain, and 3.4L engine (less prone to the bore scoring issues vs 3.6L)
    Last edited by sirhodjibob; 06-07-2022 at 02:16 PM.

My Cars
    E34 M5, E36 M3, E90 M3
    Loving the updates and congrats on the 911, Hutch!

I briefly had a 996TT and it is such an awesome car. You C2 looks really amazing with the aero kit.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    yes.

Now just waiting on the Supersprint mid pipe, and Turner plug and play 3.5" MAF.

My Cars
    E36 M3 / 991.2 911

1999 Porsche Carrera C2, 37k miles, Arizona car for 20 years. It's an early 996 build meaning cable throttle, no traction control, and no onboard computer. Literally the only 2 options are the factory GT3 aero kit and Sport Design II wheels. Previous owner installed a Beluga Racing muffler bypass (LOUD), H&R springs, wheel spacers, Function First shifter, GT3 front spoiler, GT3 rear seat delete, and GT3 center console delete. It is an absolute blast to drive. I will need to take care of the usual 996 foibles but fortunately it's spent its entire life in the garage so the interior, paint, and trim all are in great shape.

Excellent find - I’ve wanted a Biarritz White 996.1 w Aerokit for quite some time - just out of room!
    Given the low miles I’d go ahead and get that IMS done when convenient, even w the dual row. It’s a collector for sure! Folks are finally picking up on these, the headlights were also on the GT1 and I find them endearing for the period. I could go on and on.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Yep! The early 99s in particular have a very analog driving experience and its the last generation before they became psuedo luxury cars. The interior is about on par with a Corolla of the same vintage, but I find that endearing.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Hard to believe it's been 2 years, but it was time to flush the brake fluid. Used Motul RBF660 and gave the wheel wells a good clean. Brake pedal feel improved and I definitely got some air out of the lines. Probably should do a separate post, but I've been coating all the suspension pieces and metal parts in Ammo Gelee and it's made keeping everything clean underneath a breeze. Ignore the puddle

Also reinstalled the ACS+T unit with the cable removed so I have ABS back. Ordered a switch blank to delete the ASC button in the interior (part 51161963979). Still need to pull the cluster and take out the ASC bulb but otherwise job done.

Ordered an OEM wiper blade set 61619069197, replacing after 2 years.

996 will be getting similar treatment as well.

Last edited by sirhodjibob; 07-03-2022 at 10:28 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Also got gaskets from MSportParts for my Schrick intake manifold- currently it's at Urban East Cycle getting vapor blasted.

Got most of my interior pieces in as well. As many of you know it's a mess trying to get a matching set, so I will be doing custom inserts. All I focused on was making sure panels were all the same color without worrying about the insert and this what I ended up with. I'm still waiting on the passenger side door panel, which was supposedly available in Germany at time of order but now shows backordered with no ETA, so if you have alternative suggestions let me know.

51418165415 - driver's side front door panel in black vinyl
    51438167999 - driver's side rear panel in black vinyl
    51412495930 - passenger side front door panel in anthracite cloth
    51438203498 - passenger side rear panel in anthracite cloth

Also scooped these up on German eBay..OEM rails for Recaro seats brand new in box. Which means I need to order some Recaro Speeds!

8234796 & 8234795

Last edited by sirhodjibob; 07-03-2022 at 10:53 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Love the new addition.
    I spent 2 weeks with this from a very generous friend who took pity on me when my e36 was hit and run. Very different approach as far as compared to the e36, but I feel like it's so similar as a package.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Nice, yeah they are really fun cars to drive. I think like the E36, the 996 driving experience is top tier and not easily replicated, which is why these cars will continue to appreciate. They both could also work as your only car if you needed it to too.

One thing I do like about 911s in general vs most BMW M cars is they are designed from day 1 to be a sports car instead of modifying a sedan chassis, so you sit low, the suspension has decent travel, center of gravity is low etc. That said, S54>M96, no question. Wish I could have a car with an S54 and Porsche chassis, suspension and brakes.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Also got gaskets from MSportParts for my Schrick intake manifold- currently it's at Urban East Cycle getting vapor blasted.

Got most of my interior pieces in as well. As many of you know it's a mess trying to get a matching set, so I will be doing custom inserts. All I focused on was making sure panels were all the same color without worrying about the insert and this what I ended up with. I'm still waiting on the passenger side door panel, which was supposedly available in Germany at time of order but now shows backordered with no ETA, so if you have alternative suggestions let me know.

51418165415 - driver's side front door panel in black vinyl
    51438167999 - driver's side rear panel in black vinyl
    51412495930 - passenger side front door panel in anthracite cloth
    51438203498 - passenger side rear panel in anthracite cloth

Also scooped these up on German eBay..OEM rails for Recaro seats brand new in box. Which means I need to order some Recaro Speeds!

8234796 & 8234795

I am one step ahead of you with the Recaros! I ordered those same brackets from eBay. I ended up purchasing the Speeds in Black Nardo. Unfortunately, one of the backrest adjusters was broken on delivery and had to be sent back to Recaro for repair. Honestly, it was a disappointment. The Recaros have been somewhat of a Grail piece for me for years. Let’s hope all ends well.

I just finished reinstalling my doorcards after regluing and attaching almost every piece. To be honest, I was pleased with the result. I used E6000 adhesive and bought the aluminum Turtle horizontal bracket that fits at the top of the door card. It’s not a “perfect” fit, but certainly good enough. With new white inserts the card feels solid. I tried to order new doorcards in black as well but just couldn’t source them. Having finished the process I’m just not sure it’s worth the $1000+ they cost each unless they’re in rough shape. Good luck!

My Cars
    99 M3 Coupe, 99 Carrera
    Nice, the brackets are a good find. How do you like the Nardo fabric? I was thinking that or the perlon velour. I had Recaro SRDs with the confetti pattern in my Nissan Z back in the day haven't tried the newer Speeds.

Definitely did not pay $1000...more like $500 for the fronts each and about $230 for the rears. Still not cheap, agreed not worth it at $1000 which I think is for the few remaining Montana leather ones. I think they have a slightly different texture too that doesn't quite match.

My Cars
    M3
    I didn't realize someone was making replacement Schrick gaskets, good to know

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Nice, the brackets are a good find. How do you like the Nardo fabric? I was thinking that or the perlon velour. I had Recaro SRDs with the confetti pattern in my Nissan Z back in the day haven't tried the newer Speeds.

Definitely did not pay $1000...more like $500 for the fronts each and about $230 for the rears. Still not cheap, agreed not worth it at $1000 which I think is for the few remaining Montana leather ones. I think they have a slightly different texture too that doesn't quite match.
    I like the Nardo material. It's sturdy and seems like it will be resistant to heavy abrasions. Most materials and fabrics come with Rub ratings, I didn't think to look into it but probably should have. Let's hope it's high! It does attract every dog hair and particle known to man.

At first I didn't quite understand what you were going for with the door cards, but that's actually a great idea you have there. A good interiors shop could easily match the inserts and do the needed cuts for SRS and speakers. Very cool! Are you going to keep the speakers or are you looking to delete?

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Steage View Post
    I didn't realize someone was making replacement Schrick gaskets, good to know
    Hutch provided me with scans of his manifold to make this happen!

https://www.msportparts.com/collecti...50-m52-s50-s52
    Last edited by Braymond141; 07-06-2022 at 01:13 PM.

My Cars
    m3
    Great progress and congrats on the 996 purchase. I'm a fan of that generation. Do the OEM seat rails/brackets lower the seat position compared to the stock seats? I haven't decided between the Recaro Speeds or the Sportsters but I would like to get the seats at least an inch lower (preferably 2in.) than what they are now.

I only see them for $1140 on eBay. Is this the only source or are they available from Schiedmann? I suppose I can email them to find out.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by lg2k View Post
    Great progress and congrats on the 996 purchase. I'm a fan of that generation. Do the OEM seat rails/brackets lower the seat position compared to the stock seats? I haven't decided between the Recaro Speeds or the Sportsters but I would like to get the seats at least an inch lower (preferably 2in.) than what they are now.

I only see them for $1140 on eBay. Is this the only source or are they available from Schiedmann? I suppose I can email them to find out.
    I can confirm that the BMW/Recaro bracket slider combination with the Speed seat did NOT noticeably lower my seating position relative to the stock Vader seats in the lowest position. At 6'2" this was a bitter pill to swallow and one of the reasons that I went with this combination. However, the support and improved posture make me feel good about the purchase. The installation and centering of those brackets and sliders is fantastic. The seller also did a great job with shipping and got them to me quickly. If you really want that headroom, I would look at VAC and accept the seat being a touch off-center.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22444831774...0AAOSw8Hdgj6i9

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast