Thread: Butyl tap removal ?

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.3

Butyl tap removal ?

While in the process of cleaning up my old now two piece sealing frame, since no new sealing frames aren't available until sept/oct 2020, still cant believe they are all gone, cant find any anywhere. So i'm left with doctoring up the one I have, and what a big PITA the butyl tape removal, just curious what other members have used that's safe for the plastic ? .

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8
    Easiest way to remove butyl tape is a heat gun. If you want to replace the plastic sheeting go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get 4mil plastic sheeting and cut to fit. My doors look factory OEM inside.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and if you want some new butyl tape tape try the Retrofit Source. They're headlight sealing butyl tape is tits.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Vinci's convertible top replacement instructions suggest xylene to clean the butyl tape residue. His other suggestion is that most, if not all of it, can be removed by using a ball of the butyl since the butyl sticks to itself better than anything else.

I cracked my sealing frame either during the removal or afterwards. Too cheap to buy a new one, I used Plast-aid to repair it. I cracked it again in the same place putting it back in, only to have to repair it again. I'd suggest you repair your frame with some substance, as I'd worry that the vertical crack in it would allow water to seep down through the crack.

I bought butyl tape from an RV supply store, or on Ebay.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post
    Vinci's convertible top replacement instructions suggest xylene to clean the butyl tape residue. His other suggestion is that most, if not all of it, can be removed by using a ball of the butyl since the butyl sticks to itself better than anything else.

I cracked my sealing frame either during the removal or afterwards. Too cheap to buy a new one, I used Plast-aid to repair it. I cracked it again in the same place putting it back in, only to have to repair it again. I'd suggest you repair your frame with some substance, as I'd worry that the vertical crack in it would allow water to seep down through the crack.

I bought butyl tape from an RV supply store, or on Ebay.
    Yeah man, I googled Xylene, not good on plastic, but the plastic repair kit sounds like a plan, think I watched a few videos about that at some point.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325xi
    Lacquer thinner worked for me. I removed most of the butyl by pushing and rolling with my thumbs. Then lacquer thinner on a cloth microfiber for the rest. I got fresh butyl ribbon at my local NAPA parts store.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325xi

Removing Butyl Ribbon on Convertible Top

Lacquer thinner worked for me. I removed most of the butyl by pushing and rolling with my thumbs. Then lacquer thinner on a cloth microfiber for the rest. I got fresh butyl ribbon at my local NAPA parts store.

My Cars
    1996 Z3
    Rolling a ball of butyl worked for me, that got all but small scraps removed. The I used goo gone with an old shop towel and some elbow grease to remove the rest.
    I bought a roll at the RV store and have a ton of it left, if you were I CO I’d say come get it

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Z3 View Post
    Rolling a ball of butyl worked for me, that got all but small scraps removed. The I used goo gone with an old shop towel and some elbow grease to remove the rest.
    I bought a roll at the RV store and have a ton of it left, if you were I CO I’d say come get it
    Guess ill have to look into that goo gone, still a work in progress, had to repair a nasty crack, Q-Bond worked wanders