Thread: Satellite radio suggestion for newbie

My Cars
    2006 Z4

Satellite radio suggestion for newbie

Hi All. I just purchased an '06 Z4, and I'd like to add SiriusXM and have the ability to stream tunes from my phone also. I really want to keep the stock stereo with single disc player (but not mandatory). I'd be interested in finding out what some of you guys have done to bring an older car up to the modern era. I am a DIY guy, but don't have a problem taking the car to a professional car stereo installer either as many times that saves a lot of time and trouble. Any input or other thread links would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3
    I would go to a professional car stereo installer. They do this stuff all the time and will probably know the best and most modern way to get this installed for you.

My Cars
    2006 Z4
    Yes, that's what I'll likely do. Thanks

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Get rid of the factory radio and get some thing more modern with all the features you want

My Cars
    '07 Z4 3.0si Roadster
    The least painful way to add SiriusXM to an '06 is to first install an AUX-in kit that connects directly to the factory radio (this was standard on '07 and later Z4s). This is a BMW OEM part and is available from the usual suppliers like Pelican. Once that is in, you can get a portable receiver like an Onyx. No Bluetooth with that solution, though, and the factory Bluetooth is only good for making/receiving phone calls.

You can add streaming Bluetooth (Grom units come to mind) that use the existing CD changer wiring (the wiring is there whether you have the CD changer or not). This would integrate with your head unit. If you do that, you could always stream SiriusXM via their phone app in addition to any MP3s on your phone.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3
    Another easy and inexpensive option is to get a wireless Bluetooth speaker and just stream from your phone. For $35 bucks you will be up and running in five minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUe39GlupAs

My Cars
    '05 ZHP, '16 Golf R
    I struggled with this but ultimately came up with a very satisfactory solution. SiriusXM now includes streaming with the "Select" package, which is what most people have and can be purchased on the cheap by merely asking for the special rate - or you can get All Access for $99/yr by asking too. Next you'll need an unlimited data plan on your phone if you're gonna be listening a lot. I'm an iPhone guy so I bought a coiled lightning-to-aux cable on Amazon for $15. Hook it up to the aux port, voila. I also have an Apple watch, and controlling tracks can be done from the watch.

Another side benefit to this solution - the mobile app has 3 bandwidth settings - and the highest is allegedly 320kbps, which produces a MUCH higher quality stream than the satellite stream. Yeah, it's not elegant, requires manually hooking up your phone and loading the app, etc - but the sound is superior to satellite and it leaves all the factory stuff intact and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to implement. I'm quite happy with the results and use it all the time.
    '08 Z4 M Coupé LM08602
    '19 Golf R